MLB: New PBA Proposal would Eliminate 25% of Minor League Baseball in 2021

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Dodgers can at least have a non-California Mountain or Pacific Time team as their top affiliate. No reason to have OKC when it is two time zones to the East (which I want OKC to hook up with a Central Time MLB team no later than 2026)

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Given the plan is to keep the International League and Pacific Coast League without adding a third league to the AAA level, as well as the desire for Miami to promote Jacksonville to the AAA level, something has to give with balance.

Option #1: One of the IL teams moves to the PCL.
Either Louisville or Indianapolis ends up moving to the PCL, keeping both leagues at their traditional numbers. Louisville is the only team in the International League that is on the Central Time Zone, and is close to Nashville and Memphis. Meanwhile, Indianapolis would easily make a division with Omaha, Iowa, and the debuting St. Paul Saints. This would suck for the Indians, who would incur larger travel costs, as opposed to their current situation where they have one of the smallest divisions in minor league baseball in terms of travel, but as a whole, this would be the easiest option.

Option #2: The IL becomes a 20-team league
Moving Nashville, Memphis, Omaha, Iowa, and St. Paul to the IL would cause a massive imbalance between the two leagues, and cause scheduling issues in the International League, forcing teams in what would most likely be the Northwest Division to rarely, if ever, play against teams in the Southeast or Northeast (assuming that's how they would be named), but would easily solve the PCL's travel issues as one division would have OKC, Sugar Land, Round Rock, El Paso, and Albuquerque, while the other would consist of Salt Lake, Sacramento, Tacoma, Las Vegas, and Reno.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Given the plan is to keep the International League and Pacific Coast League without adding a third league to the AAA level, as well as the desire for Miami to promote Jacksonville to the AAA level, something has to give with balance.

Option #1: One of the IL teams moves to the PCL.
Either Louisville or Indianapolis ends up moving to the PCL, keeping both leagues at their traditional numbers. Louisville is the only team in the International League that is on the Central Time Zone, and is close to Nashville and Memphis. Meanwhile, Indianapolis would easily make a division with Omaha, Iowa, and the debuting St. Paul Saints. This would suck for the Indians, who would incur larger travel costs, as opposed to their current situation where they have one of the smallest divisions in minor league baseball in terms of travel, but as a whole, this would be the easiest option.

Option #2: The IL becomes a 20-team league
Moving Nashville, Memphis, Omaha, Iowa, and St. Paul to the IL would cause a massive imbalance between the two leagues, and cause scheduling issues in the International League, forcing teams in what would most likely be the Northwest Division to rarely, if ever, play against teams in the Southeast or Northeast (assuming that's how they would be named), but would easily solve the PCL's travel issues as one division would have OKC, Sugar Land, Round Rock, El Paso, and Albuquerque, while the other would consist of Salt Lake, Sacramento, Tacoma, Las Vegas, and Reno.
There has been speculation about interleague play at the AAA Level.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Other than the teams in the MLB Draft League, I could see these teams joining one of the partner leagues, as follows:

The Midwest League teams and Lexington could join the Frontier League or American Association

The Jackson Generals to the American Association

The Eastern Seaboard teams to the Atlantic League

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I've also stated my desire that Brooklyn one day get the AAA affiliate of the Yankees, since Brooklyn can't have its own MLB team now as they did many years ago.

Reflecting the Yankees affiliation, I could see such a team called the Bosses in honor of former Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who was called "The Boss".
The Brooklyn Cyclones are affiliated with the Mets and are also owned by Cohen. How do the Yankees come into play here?

Reactions: oknazevad

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
The Mets would have to relocate the Cyclones out of Brooklyn if the Yankees decide to launch an AAA team in Brooklyn. AAA expansion teams are usually started from scratch, more so than expansion teams in lower levels, though new AAA teams typically take the place of lower-level teams that once played in the cities hosting new AAA franchises.

As an example, the Durham Bulls were once members of the Carolina League and affiliated with the Braves. The Carolina League franchise moved to Danville, VA for one year, then to Myrtle Beach, SC, when the Bulls owners successfully pursued an International League expansion team affiliated with Tampa Bay.

If the Yankees build their own AAA team from scratch in Brooklyn (as in owning the team), then the Mets would have to relocate the Cyclones. Central Islip might be a good place, where they would take up the Long Island Ducks identity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad