Blue Jays Discussion: MLB Draft, June 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-re...ed-trading-yordano-ventura-071920349-mlb.html

Recently, inside the Kansas City Royals’ clubhouse, Yordano Ventura was talking about how he planned on hitting Jose Bautista with a pitch the next time he faced him. The people around Ventura rolled their eyes, tired of the bluster, done with the immaturity, hopeful he was playing fugazi instead of the on-field arsonist they’d seen too many times for their liking. Among his teammates and in the Royals’ front office alike, they’ve long waited for Ventura to grow up, only to end up amazed at how he manages to plumb beneath even his own low standards.

:facepalm:

Christ. Putting the treat of throwing at Bautista aside, you know it's gotten really bad when even your own teammates are sick of your crap. Honestly, the MLB has gotta come down with a good 30+ gamer. Month long suspension, make him miss 6 starts and forfeit $150k+ in salary. Sure, it will be reduced on appeal by a bit, but it will still be very high even after appeals. This kind of **** cannot be tolerated.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With that news being leaked in particular, it will be an embarrassment to the Royals organization if they don't internally suspend him for at least a start or two.

At least Bautista knows it's coming.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If I was Bautista and I knew a HBP was coming. I'd literally step into the box with the intention of diving out of the way the moment the pitcher started his windup. You can't hit me if I'm diving out of the way before the pitch is coming, then after 4 misses I bat flip that **** with the bat going slightly towards the mound, and then flip the bird to Ventura as I way to 1st. Ok maybe not that last part.

But if a player knows the HBP is coming, why not just get out of the way immediately, not giving the pitcher the satisfaction

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If I was Bautista and I knew a HBP was coming. I'd literally step into the box with the intention of diving out of the way the moment the pitcher started his windup. You can't hit me if I'm diving out of the way before the pitch is coming, then after 4 misses I bat flip that **** with the bat going slightly towards the mound, and then flip the bird to Ventura as I way to 1st. Ok maybe not that last part.

But if a player knows the HBP is coming, why not just get out of the way immediately, not giving the pitcher the satisfaction
Why would you dive out of the way? Lol is this grade 1?

Bautista would step up to the plate thinking about blasting a homerun, not about diving out of the way of a pitch.

Plus, if Ventura actually did hit him with a pitch after all that has happened recently, the kind of bench brawl that would ensue would probably be one the worst in MLB history. Would be very very ugly.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-re...ed-trading-yordano-ventura-071920349-mlb.html

:facepalm:

Christ. Putting the treat of throwing at Bautista aside, you know it's gotten really bad when even your own teammates are sick of your crap. Honestly, the MLB has gotta come down with a good 30+ gamer. Month long suspension, make him miss 6 starts and forfeit $150k+ in salary. Sure, it will be reduced on appeal by a bit, but it will still be very high even after appeals. This kind of **** cannot be tolerated.

You can't just suspend a guy 30 games for some words and based off something that hasn't even happened. The league would look absolutely ridiculous.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

And imagine if Ventura throws a little changeup way out of the zone then Bautista looks silly for diving out of the way of such pitch.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You can't just suspend a guy 30 games for some words and based off something that hasn't even happened. The league would look absolutely ridiculous.

You can't, but the Royals can internally discipline him for that type of immature crap. Especially now that it's out in the public.

And if Ventura actually does throw at Jose, there's evidence here that it was premeditated with intent so that should warrant a more severe punishment from the league.

A complete gutless POS.. As mentioned above I'd love to see him try that in the NL and see what it's like to have to face a fastball at the plate.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
You can't, but the Royals can internally discipline him for that type of immature crap. Especially now that it's out in the public.

And if Ventura actually does throw at Jose, there's evidence here that it was premeditated with intent so that should warrant a more severe punishment from the league.

A complete gutless POS.. As mentioned above I'd love to see him try that in the NL and see what it's like to have to face a fastball at the plate.

The Royals really can't do that because a grievance would be filed on behalf of the MLBPA. Ventura is an idiot but an organization just can't suspend a player for what he says in the clubhouse.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Why would you dive out of the way? Lol is this grade 1?

Bautista would step up to the plate thinking about blasting a homerun, not about diving out of the way of a pitch.

Plus, if Ventura actually did hit him with a pitch after all that has happened recently, the kind of bench brawl that would ensue would probably be one the worst in MLB history. Would be very very ugly.

maybe I over-exaggerated the extent to which he dives away, but if you know a HBP is coming, you're not going up to the plate with the intent to hit a homerun, you'll be hit by the pitch. As the pitcher starts winding up you essentially back out of the way. If he throws a strike then whatever, Jose often takes strike 1 anyway.

I wouldn't let him have the satisfaction of hitting me, I'll take the walk if he tries to throw at me 4 times. Unless he throws a strike, at which point I'd assume he's going to pitch to me and then try to hit it, until that I would go up there with the intent of avoid being hit until I see a pitch not thrown at me.

Obviously you wouldn't do this everytime such a situation arises, but when it becomes public a guy is looking forward to hitting you. He's going to hit you

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Bautista got suspended for nothing...

And it wouldn't be a suspension for his words. It would be a suspension for a combination of this incident and his past behaviour.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
5 out of 7 against the orioles is going to be awesome (I know it's tough but not impossible)

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
5 out of 7 against the orioles is going to be awesome (I know it's tough but not impossible)

7 against the O's and 4 games against the Phillies in the next 11 ... If they can go 5-2 against the O's and 3-1 against the Phillies, that could launch them into the division lead.

Let's hope they can go on a run.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
He hasn't shown much of an ability to hit for power in Buffalo for whatever reason. Still he's hitting well and has been hot over the last month. .349/.426/.458, 0.79 BB/K, .404 wOBA and 160 wRC+ since May 8th.

With his speed and defense, ill take OBP without power any day of the week. I wonder when they are going to call him up for the rest of the year. Hes getting pretty close to having ideal service time going forward to milk 6.5 years of control.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
With his speed and defense, ill take OBP without power any day of the week. I wonder when they are going to call him up for the rest of the year. Hes getting pretty close to having ideal service time going forward to milk 6.5 years of control.

I'd like to see him get called up at some point after the all star break. He should have well over a years worth of AAA ab's at that point.

I think you can find him playing time by resting Saunders, Pillar, and Bautista (slide him to DH/1B for a game if need be) one game a week. I don't want to run those guys into the ground and I'm not a huge fan of Carrera's defense as a regular(and i expect Carrera's average will come crashing down).

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Any rumors as to guys we are hoping fall to us in the 1st round?

Most predictions seem to think we will go college arm in the 1st round. I've seen Zeuch, Burdi, Quantril, Sheffield, etc among other all in discussion. Wouldn't even be shocked if they took Eric Lauer who they drafted three years ago but couldn't sign.

Latest Baseball america pick has us taking TJ Zeuch.

I'm more excited about rounds 2/3 where we will probably grab a couple big athletic high school arms. Justin Maese for my money was the best jays pick last year and has a bigger upside than Harris.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Any insight / reports on Jays 1st round pick, I have read some insight reviews on the following prospects but honestly speaking do not know much about them

- Kyle Muller
- T. J. Zeuch
- Cal Quantrill

They all are pitchers and we really need some quality pitchers in our system, please tell me if we have other options for a quality pitcher. We really do not have much to offer in order to move up

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Any insight / reports on Jays 1st round pick, I have read some insight reviews on the following prospects but honestly speaking do not know much about them

- Kyle Muller
- T. J. Zeuch
- Cal Quantrill

They all are pitchers and we really need some quality pitchers in our system, please tell me if we have other options for a quality pitcher. We really do not have much to offer in order to move up

we do have quality arms in the system. Some of them just haven't arrived on the scene yet but they will show up soon.

Never have too many quality arms though and jays usually load up on arms early in the draft.

You can't move up in baseball drafts and it's not really worth it to do so even if you could.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

This.

I still think he can be our leadoff hitter. We don't need power we need a high OBP + speed. We can then bump Jose where he should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad