Blue Jays Discussion: MLB Draft, June 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
surprised by the lack of draft talk seeing as it's only a few days away.

Will be interesting to see what direction the jays go. Hopefully they continue to target HS pitching early (California and Texas most notably) as it's generated quite a few studs over the past 5 years.

With my new job I haven't been following things as closely as I usually do. I love draft day in baseball and hockey. Maybe I'll look around tonight.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Will be interesting to see what direction the jays go. Hopefully they continue to target HS pitching early (California and Texas most notably) as it's generated quite a few studs over the past 5 years.

Cal Quantrill intrigues me too because before tj he was consider a high 1st round prospect. He could be another buy low prospect like Hoffman was. Plus theres the Jays/Canadian connection with him too.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Hasn't storen been good to excellent recently (small sample size and all)?

Since the start of May: 3.48 ERA, 3.22 FIP, 10.45 K/9, 2.61 BB/9

He hasn't been the dominant Storen of years past, but he's been a perfectly acceptable reliever.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Hoping for Cal Quantrill. Don't really know much about many of the prospects however

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Zaun gloating about his Stroman comp right now "I said from day 1 he was Tom Gordon re-incarnated"

Didn't take too many bad starts for Zaun to start running his mouth again.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Cal Quantrill intrigues me too because before tj he was consider a high 1st round prospect. He could be another buy low prospect like Hoffman was. Plus theres the Jays/Canadian connection with him too.

There is a lot of high school arms I like but money obviously plays a big role in these things. Some of these kids want bonuses well north of the 21st draft slot so you need to do homework so we don't end up with another Beede or Bickford.

I think the best plan would be grab three or four lesser known high school arms early in the draft that have signability (not seeking millions). Would definitely like to see them target players with good hit tools if they are looking at college bats (or even mature high school bats). Not a fan of taking athletes with limited hit tools like the jays have done recently. I think you need to prioritize the ability to hit as it's the biggest tool you need to make it to the bigs. You can't defend or run your way to the major leagues.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Zaun gloating about his Stroman comp right now "I said from day 1 he was Tom Gordon re-incarnated"

Didn't take too many bad starts for Zaun to start running his mouth again.

I bet we won't hear a peep from Zaun when Stro starts putting zeros back up on the board. I swear he went to Glen Healy school of journalism.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hoping for Cal Quantrill. Don't really know much about many of the prospects however

I'd be really happy with a Quantrill pick. He'd likely be very happy to be a Jay as well. Have a feeling he won't fall and will be picked in the mid teens at least

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'd be really happy with a Quantrill pick. He'd likely be very happy to be a Jay as well. Have a feeling he won't fall and will be picked in the mid teens at least

He's skipped workouts and the like, so there's strong rumors that he has a promise from some team that will pick him. The Padres rumor came from somewhere (Keith Law?) It's just a question of where. I think the Jays could snag him if they're ahead of the Padres' compo pick, but if SD decides to take him high, there's nothing the Jays can do. And of course maybe it's not the Padres that have promised him.

Hell, maybe it's Toronto :laugh:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
just checked the score. Apparently tonight didn't go well. Looks like an all together bad night for the jays

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
He's skipped workouts and the like, so there's strong rumors that he has a promise from some team that will pick him. The Padres rumor came from somewhere (Keith Law?) It's just a question of where. I think the Jays could snag him if they're ahead of the Padres' compo pick, but if SD decides to take him high, there's nothing the Jays can do. And of course maybe it's not the Padres that have promised him.

Hell, maybe it's Toronto :laugh:

Would be nice to think it's us but I guess that Padres rumour makes sense.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013
I see that Travis has joined the rest of his buddies on the Interstate. Does he share time with Barney at 2B when Tulo comes back?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
At this point you have to let Barney play everyday until he stops hitting don't you?

Let the guy hit his way back to the bench or become Chris Colabello v2 (preferably no steroids)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
At this point you have to let Barney play everyday until he stops hitting don't you?

Let the guy hit his way back to the bench or become Chris Colabello v2 (preferably no steroids)

Barney has played well enough to warrant at least semi-regular playing time when Tulo is back. Tulo and Travis get most of the playing time, Barney plays a few times a week to keep both of them fresh. It's a great situation to have when both of your middle infielders have been dealing with injury issues.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

If Quantrill doesnt go 8th to the Padres then i think he drops to us. Now will we take him is the other question.

Jays past FO showed interest in taking top talents with TJ surgery causing them to drop (wanted Giolito) took Hoffman and took Hollon who had an arm injury. Thought they stayed away from Fedde (already took Hoffman and they liked Penecost so maybe they didnt "stay away from him) and i think they stayed away from Matuella.

Cleveland (Shapiro, Atkins and co.) took Aiken last year. I think there is strong evidence that the Jays wouldnt be afraid of taking Quantrill if he drops. Question is does he drop?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
very weird performamce last night. maybe the only time i've turned the game off this year because it looked like they just weren't interested.

they still kinda look like they think that the offense is gonna just come magically as they're hacking away up there.

i would really love to see just one inning where every hitter just looks completely focussed on getting on base for the next guy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Happ

First 6gms: 6.6ip/gs, 2.50era, 4.16fip, 4.57xfip
Last 6gms: 6.0ip/gs, 4.75era, 4.82fip, 4.60xfip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad