Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
This.

I still think he can be our leadoff hitter. We don't need power we need a high OBP + speed. We can then bump Jose where he should be.

I think he's the best natural fit to hit leadoff but it will require patience and im not sure the jays will give him that. A switch hitter that gets on base (career OBP close to 400 in the minors) seems like the perfect fit but we won't see it until next year unfortunately.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
If I was Bautista and I knew a HBP was coming. I'd literally step into the box with the intention of diving out of the way the moment the pitcher started his windup. You can't hit me if I'm diving out of the way before the pitch is coming, then after 4 misses I bat flip that **** with the bat going slightly towards the mound, and then flip the bird to Ventura as I way to 1st. Ok maybe not that last part.

But if a player knows the HBP is coming, why not just get out of the way immediately, not giving the pitcher the satisfaction
Is this for real? Which at bat would he be thrown at? Highly unlikely the first at bat. Which pitch? So leadoff hitter comes up, wind-up comes and bautista dives out of the way with a first pitch fastball down the meat of the plate. Ya that would be a good idea. Who cares if you get beaned in the ass or thigh, ya they always sting a bit but he's not that big of a *****. I know he can't take a punch as per odor but still, he's not going to look like a complete pansie.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Is this for real? Which at bat would he be thrown at? Highly unlikely the first at bat. Which pitch? So leadoff hitter comes up, wind-up comes and bautista dives out of the way with a first pitch fastball down the meat of the plate. Ya that would be a good idea. Who cares if you get beaned in the ass or thigh, ya they always sting a bit but he's not that big of a *****. I know he can't take a punch as per odor but still, he's not going to look like a complete pansie.

What you got from the Odor punch is that he can't take a punch? That punch would've knocked most men down and Jose took it in stride

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Most predictions seem to think we will go college arm in the 1st round. I've seen Zeuch, Burdi, Quantril, Sheffield, etc among other all in discussion. Wouldn't even be shocked if they took Eric Lauer who they drafted three years ago but couldn't sign.

Only BA is pumping this "college arm" storyline, and I find it odd how vocal they have been considering that basically every other source has heard us in on more Prep players. Keith Law has mocked a HS player to us in all of his mocks if I remember correctly. BA has had so many writers leave for other jobs, I'm not sure exactly how in tune they are anymore.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Only BA is pumping this "college arm" storyline, and I find it odd how vocal they have been considering that basically every other source has heard us in on more Prep players. Keith Law has mocked a HS player to us in all of his mocks if I remember correctly. BA has had so many writers leave for other jobs, I'm not sure exactly how in tune they are anymore.

I wouldn't be shocked if we go college pitching in round 1. We haven't had much success signing 1st round high school arms looking for paydays (Beede, Bickford). If we do select a HS arm I expect it will be a reach that they have already worked out a deal with.

I'm personally hoping for an athletic projectable high school arm in the mold of Sanchez/Syndergaard that they can sign under slot but I fully expect the jays to go college arm in round one and pick up a couple HS pitchers in rounds 2 and 3.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I wouldn't be shocked if we go college pitching in round 1. We haven't had much success signing 1st round high school arms looking for paydays (Beede, Bickford). If we do select a HS arm I expect it will be a reach that they have already worked out a deal with.

I wouldn't be "shocked" if we took a college pitcher either; I just find it odd how BA is writing as if it's a foregone conclusion when literally every other source is claiming that we are still heavily linked to prep players who will almost surely go in the first round (Law has mentioned SS Gavin Lux for instance, while we've also been linked to toolsy Georgia outfielders like Trammel and Marsh). The stories don't really match, so I guess we'll see what happens.

I also don't think that your point to bring up Beede and Bickford are all too relevant. Both of those guys flaunted absurd demands pre-draft which ended up being correct. We selected them on the hopes that they could be talked down, which wasn't the case. Those are extreme cases, as obviously not every prep pitcher is asking for $4+ million. The new regime could simply target signable players.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Hope you guys don't mind a Ducks fan coming in here to talk about his favourite ball team.

I like the idea of taking Burdi if available, the Jays could really use the help in the pen down the stretch if he truly is ready for a high leverage role as some believe.

That being said, maybe our weak farm suggests we should focus on the premium positions...

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Delvin Perez, who was supposed to be a top ten pick, has tested positive for PEDs.

Will interesting to see how far he falls.

I hope he falls past the Jays. No interest in a known PED player.

Burdi as pen help later in the season would be very tempting but you go BPA. If it is him then great, if not then you take the best pitcher. Would love Quantrill to fall but many expect him to go 8th to SD.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm hoping Quantrill drops to us. Guy was probably gonna go first OA until he was lost to Tommy John. Reminds me of the guy we drafted ninth OA in 2014 and he's not looking too shabby.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Looking ahead at the probable pitchers this weekend how is Baltimore in first? Their best pitcher has a record (I know terrible way to judge but just odd) is .500 with a 3-3 record and 3.52 ERA (I think it was). Ubaldo has completely fallen off a cliff. No reason we can't take 3. We also avoid Tillman who is by far their best pitcher.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I hope he falls past the Jays. No interest in a known PED player.

Burdi as pen help later in the season would be very tempting but you go BPA. If it is him then great, if not then you take the best pitcher. Would love Quantrill to fall but many expect him to go 8th to SD.

I imagine he'll fall into at least the supplemental first round.

I like Quantrill, but I imagine he'll go in the same range Hoffman did. I'm hoping for Ian Anderson, but he's risen up draft boards in the last four months, and will likely be gone by the time #21 rolls around. Drafting cold weather guys, in theory, tends to result in stealing draft position (i.e. a guy will be ranked lower than their true talent because they don't have as much time to show for scouts).

As always, the draft is a crap shoot. No matter who they take, just hope for a little luck. Mike Trout was drafted 25th overall in '09, 23 spots behind Dustin Ackley, 22 spots behind Donovan Tate, 21 spots behind Tony Sanchez.

15 spots behind Drew Storen, and 5 spots behind Chad Jenkins...:laugh:

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Looking ahead at the probable pitchers this weekend how is Baltimore in first? Their best pitcher has a record (I know terrible way to judge but just odd) is .500 with a 3-3 record and 3.52 ERA (I think it was). Ubaldo has completely fallen off a cliff. No reason we can't take 3. We also avoid Tillman who is by far their best pitcher.

Voodoo.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Well I mean the Jays offense isn't exactly scary ... Jays pitching is going to have their work cut out for them against the O's offense.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Well I mean the Jays offense isn't exactly scary ... Jays pitching is going to have their work cut out for them against the O's offense.

Maybe so right now but this is a team that can break out. Our pitching has been very very good and avoid Tillman who has been stellar. If we take 3/4 we can get right back in there and Sunday is Ubaldo vs Sanchez. Personally I like many of the pitching matchups.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ubaldo will probably get his **** together against the Jays, always pitches well against them.

But yeah there is an opportunity to close the gap in the division .. 3/4 would be huge.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Ubaldo will probably get his **** together against the Jays, always pitches well against them.

But yeah there is an opportunity to close the gap in the division .. 3/4 would be huge.

What happened to the guy? His numbers are dreadful.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario

From the looks of it I get to watch Jiminez against Sanchez! Should be a good one! Another pivotal series though. With another 3 games after the home and home with the Phillies

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

I hate playing the O's. Buck and his staff literally beat scouting reports into their players/pitchers. It's annoying to watch them execute, but impressive at the same time.

This Blue Jays team and coaching staff, which seems ill prepared on a consistent basis, is fodder for such a team, unfortunately. And with Russ and Stro telegraphing pitch sequencing the way they have thus far this season, I have a hard time seeing the kid getting right tonight.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Dave Cameron finally ate **** regarding Aaron Sanchez in his chat yesterday.

12:17
Marc: Has Aaron Sanchez done enough this year to remove the future reliever label for you?

12:17
Dave Cameron: Yeah, at this point, it looks like I was just wrong on Sanchez. The command has come around even over longer outings.

Now, if Keith Law could do the same, an angel will get their wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad