Blue Jays Discussion: MLB Draft, June 9-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Happ

First 6gms: 6.6ip/gs, 2.50era, 4.16fip, 4.57xfip
Last 6gms: 6.0ip/gs, 4.75era, 4.82fip, 4.60xfip

Meh, it's two bad starts. If he can continue to lump all his ****tiness into individual starts instead of spreading it out evenly, I'll be happy.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Zaun gloating about his Stroman comp right now "I said from day 1 he was Tom Gordon re-incarnated"

Didn't take too many bad starts for Zaun to start running his mouth again.

Never knew that Dee Gordon is Tom Gordon's son.

Funny considering there is a clear facial resemblance, similar body type, and 'Gordon' being the surname.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
What? You expect Happ to have a sub 3 ERA all season? He is not an All-Star, he is just a good #3 or #4 pitcher.

This year he's been more than a #3 or #4 pitcher, he's been better than most team's #1 or #2. It's a bit early to judge either way.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Wow. Another day, another incident prompted by Ventura. He makes Roughened Odor look like John McDonald.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
They're both clowns. However, Ventura is borderline insane and needs to be punished. Whether it's off the field (suspension/fine) or on the field (a nice 99 MPH heater in the ribs during interleague play). Or... just do both and make everyone happy :laugh:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
did anyone punch Machado? because he's an idiot as well.

At least he's an idiot who's good at baseball. Or one who's not up to 6 different teams he's brawled with.

He's an idiot but on the scale of idiots he's nowhere near Ventura.

And he did take a 99 mph fastball to the ribs that the situation didn't call for at all so I guess there's that.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
did anyone punch Machado? because he's an idiot as well.

Ventura is easily the bigger idiot. In 2015 alone he has managed to do dumb **** like **** talk batters for no reason, and then instigate more **** like plunking them or taking exception to harmless plays (ex. getting mad at Trout celebrating scoring on home base for something that Ventura started in the first place). And then that's not to mention the clown acts he did against the Jays. To make matters worse, he's a mediocre pitcher acting like he's some big-shot with an unnecessary chip on his shoulder.

Sometimes stuff like this is when I wish the AL didn't have the DH so that Ventura could face 99mph fastballs and see how tough a man he is.

Mar 14, 2011
Ventura is easily the bigger idiot. In 2015 alone he has managed to do dumb **** like **** talk batters for no reason, and then instigate more **** like plunking them or taking exception to harmless plays (ex. getting mad at Trout celebrating scoring on home base for something that Ventura started in the first place). And then that's not to mention the clown acts he did against the Jays. To make matters worse, he's a mediocre pitcher acting like he's some big-shot with an unnecessary chip on his shoulder.

Sometimes stuff like this is when I wish the AL didn't have the DH so that Ventura could face 99mph fastballs and see how tough a man he is.

Watching this guy beat the Jays twice during the ALCS against our former Ace was pretty depressing.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Frustrating loss last night
Sanchez was dominant and they had so many chances to cash runners on base in

Moving Martin up to 4th...... I get they may be trying ot get him going, but it's not really working

The Jays seem to need someone who hits for average, with speed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Sanchez could easily have 4-5 more wins based on his overall performance thus far.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
IMO it's time shuffle the order a bit, I'd go with:

Travis (2B)
Donaldson (3B)
Bautista (RF)
EE (DH)
Smoak (1B)
Saunders (LF)
Barney (SS)
Martin (C)
Pillar (CF)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sanchez could easily have 4-5 more wins based on his overall performance thus far.

Honestly I felt very bad for Sanchez last night, so surprised to see this team struggling with offense

Sanchez was simply awesome, what else you need from a pitcher to win a game (shutout every singe game?)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm sorry but is there a reason Cabrera wasn't intentionally walked to have a chance at a double play? Why would you ever pitch to him in that situation? I'm sure it was discussed on here last night, but wow. That's baseball managing 101.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm sorry but is there a reason Cabrera wasn't intentionally walked to have a chance at a double play? Why would you ever pitch to him in that situation? I'm sure it was discussed on here last night, but wow. That's baseball managing 101.

In the 9th?

You'd intentionally walk the potential winning run on base with Victor Martinez due up next? I don't think it's as cut and dry as you suggest

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

You never purposefully put the winning run on base.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
In the 9th?

You'd intentionally walk the potential winning run on base with Victor Martinez due up next? I don't think it's as cut and dry as you suggest

It is pretty cut and dry though. I doubt there's a manager in the league who walks Cabrera there. It's extremely rare to walk the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

But hindsight managing is easy which is why it's easy to criticize the logical decision that didn't work out.

frost king

Dec 11, 2013

Baseball managing 101 dictates that YOU NEVER PUT THE WINNING RUN ON BASE regardless of the situation, and especially late in a game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Baseball managing 101 dictates that YOU NEVER PUT THE WINNING RUN ON BASE regardless of the situation, and especially late in a game.

He's also the best hitter of the last 10 years. I wouldn't have thrown to him with a guy on 3rd.

Doesn't matter though, they lost that game in the top of the 9th.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
My only issue is not throwing a slider to him 1-2. The sliders he threw 3-1 and full to J.D. were beautiful.

Hindsight though for the win.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It is pretty cut and dry though. I doubt there's a manager in the league who walks Cabrera there. It's extremely rare to walk the winning run in the bottom of the 9th.

But hindsight managing is easy which is why it's easy to criticize the logical decision that didn't work out.

Not to mention they would be walking Cabrera to bring up a guy who's been a better hitter this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad