OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if BVW can go get grandal who can legit catch and would fit like a glove with this staff, that would be a huge get. catching has been an open sore for this team for ever. TDA needs to go away.

you add a reliable set up guy and an outfield with conforto and nimmo plus a healthy lagares and its doable. who knows if cesspool comes back. if he does and he can play, this teams lineup could be pretty lethal.

guys like mcneil and alonso seem to have the hitting thing down.

adding cano who i believe still can be a dangerous hitter plus conforto and you've got some legit bats.

would have preferred to keep kelenic but diaz is a stud. a cheap effective closer who can slam the door.

with this staff healthy, and these changes, this team can make the post season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
That's just because nobody compares prospects to busts. Nobody is going to say he reminds them of Alex Escobar or Lastings Milledge.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
While my anger has somewhat dissipated, I cannot talk myself into actually liking the deal. Diaz is a stud, but his value only comes into play if this team actually becomes a contender, and there’s a lot more work needed to be done to get this team to that level.
Mets blew 19 18 saves last season and finished 13 games out of a playoff spot.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Hopefully this ends today/tomorrow. I just cant see him not choosing Yanks if Bids are competitive given his love for them growing up and the whole story of his wedding and brothers best man speech

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Diaz, Lugo and someone else really good would be a nice start. Then find someone reliable (as far as relievers go) for middle relief. Probably two guys. I think Gsellman sucks and is in that group with Peterson, Sewald, Smith, and Rhame that could be good or could be horrid. I like Zamora, Wahl has a chance, and Bashlor has a lot of upside. But if you want to compete you realistically need one more high-leverage guy and at least one more middle-relief guy, probably two.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Diaz, Lugo and someone else really good would be a nice start. Then find someone reliable (as far as relievers go) for middle relief. Probably two guys. I think Gsellman sucks and is in that group with Peterson, Sewald, Smith, and Rhame that could be good or could be horrid. I like Zamora, Wahl has a chance, and Bashlor has a lot of upside. But if you want to compete you realistically need one more high-leverage guy and at least one more middle-relief guy, probably two.

Love to add Miller or Britton to have legit lefty.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
True but I still believe that if the Mets had a semi-competent bullpen with a reliable closer they'd have had a good chance to make the playoffs.

If they scored 3 runs for deGrom when he pitched, they would have won the east.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If they scored 3 runs for deGrom when he pitched, they would have won the east.

cano helps that. he can still hit for average and power.

losing bruce does as well. opens up a spot for a legit bat full time.

diaz helps finish games when this staff has late leads. last years pen was hot garbage.

if you assume dunn and kelenic are both sure fire cant miss guys, then its a so-so deal long term.

short term, with cano and diaz and thor still here plus the addition of say grandal, the mets are considerably better going into spring training.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
In defense of Jay Bruce, after he came back from the DL with the hip thing resolved, he had an OPS of .811 and a wRC+ of 123. 6 HR in 32 games after just 3 HR in 62 games the first half. So, I wouldn't be totally shocked if a healthy Jay Bruce hit 25-30 HRs with an OPS over .800 this year. I was okay with his bat on the team, it's just we had a logjam of corner OFers and he obviously wasn't going to displace Nimmo or Conforto, and you wanted 1B for Alonso or even Smith.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
In defense of Jay Bruce, after he came back from the DL with the hip thing resolved, he had an OPS of .811 and a wRC+ of 123. 6 HR in 32 games after just 3 HR in 62 games the first half. So, I wouldn't be totally shocked if a healthy Jay Bruce hit 25-30 HRs with an OPS over .800 this year. I was okay with his bat on the team, it's just we had a logjam of corner OFers and he obviously wasn't going to displace Nimmo or Conforto, and you wanted 1B for Alonso or even Smith.

It's September numbers. I know Bruce has a a history of production, but I don't find it surprising he did well coming back in September.

Still, that deal was bad from the get go. Same with Swarzak. the Cano deal is bad, but it's only one deal, not two, and he is still productive. Years 4-5 are going to be scary though.

We need another RH OF. Nimmo and Conforto are part of the team's future for the next 5ish years.

Avisail Garcia is interesting. Older guys like Jones and Cutch could fill roles, but their days in center are done. They'd need to trade for a RH OF is they are not signing one of those players.

I also still would love to get a Marwin Gonzalez or Josh Harrison on this team. Can play anywhere, Gonzalez more cause he is a switch hitter.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The other comparison was Grady Sizemore, who was one of the best players in the game until injuries took over.

Kotsay was another. The average consensus is he isn’t going to hit for big time power but may be a high average hitter with stolen base potential early in his career. The most glowing comparison I heard was Mark Grace. If Kelenic doesn’t pan out this deal will bust for both sides. I highly doubt this deal ends up good for the Mets. Even if they win a World Series before 2022 I’d be surprised if Diaz or Cano were major factors. I don’t expect Dunn to amount to much. He was one guy I’ve been willing to move in a deal for the last 2 years.

Right now Brody and Mickey’s biggest fear by far has to be a miserable start for Cano and sports radio and the fans begging for McNeil to take over at 2nd before May 15

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I don't understand Dunn hate. Yes he needs a 3rd pitch but his stuff is very good.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't understand Dunn hate. Yes he needs a 3rd pitch but his stuff is very good.

The lack of third pitch kind of pigeon holes him into a relief role plus hes a max effort, arm parallel to ground at foot strike guy.

That just screams arm problems if he were to stay in the rotation. As a reliever, its less of a problem.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Eh everything I've read on him for the past couple years, prior to this trade, was that he's been getting by on pure power on the FB. His command isn't great. Which works fine to an extent, but you're not gonna be a top starter just blowing guys away with 95.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The lack of third pitch kind of pigeon holes him into a relief role plus hes a max effort, arm parallel to ground at foot strike guy.

That just screams arm problems if he were to stay in the rotation. As a reliever, its less of a problem.

That fastball/slider combo could make him a high leverage reliever but I wouldn't give up on him as a starter.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Eh everything I've read on him for the past couple years, prior to this trade, was that he's been getting by on pure power on the FB. His command isn't great. Which works fine to an extent, but you're not gonna be a top starter just blowing guys away with 95.

His slider is close to a plus pitch. Needs a changeup.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They really cleaned up his delivery last year. It's why he was finally able to throw strikes and pitch deeper into games. I saw him in person three times and was impressed in each. The last time it was the front end of a double header with Kilome on the back (I may have them reversed). Anyway if he can develop his change into something even serviceable he can start in the Majors. I know the Mets thought he could.

Reactions: darko

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
i was told that the Yankees giving up the draft pick that became Mike trout to sign Tex was worth it for the 2009 world series.

Of course it was worth it. They gave up the pick, not Mike Trout. They already had another compensatory 1st in that draft anyway.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
i was told that the Yankees giving up the draft pick that became Mike trout to sign Tex was worth it for the 2009 world series.

That pick was just a draft pick at the time and as DC said, they had another pick due to not signing Geritt Cole the year before.

Plus they did win, which took a bit of the sting out of the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad