OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
That 09 draft is weird. There are massive busts throughout the 1st round. It did give us the one of the greatest players of our generation.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I bet a bunch of teams would trade the opportunity to draft Mike Trout for a World Series title. Plenty of teams that have never won it, or won once, or last won 70 years ago or whatever.

A lot of teams wouldn't really be able to both afford Trout and afford to build a contending team around him, so those teams might be looking at drafting him, having him for six or whatever years and then having to move him. Which, obviously would yield an amazing return, but still.

I know it's the Yankees and building around him would not be a problem, but for many teams it would be. And I know it's "just one World Series" to an organization that has won by far the most, but for others, it would be THE World Series for them.

Just, perspective. Or mine, anyway.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I bet a bunch of teams would trade the opportunity to draft Mike Trout for a World Series title. Plenty of teams that have never won it, or won once, or last won 70 years ago or whatever.

A lot of teams wouldn't really be able to both afford Trout and afford to build a contending team around him, so those teams might be looking at drafting him, having him for six or whatever years and then having to move him. Which, obviously would yield an amazing return, but still.

I know it's the Yankees and building around him would not be a problem, but for many teams it would be. And I know it's "just one World Series" to an organization that has won by far the most, but for others, it would be THE World Series for them.

Just, perspective. Or mine, anyway.
I wouldn't trade 2009 for four Mike Trouts.

To me that was THE World Series and it always will be. Older fans might disagree.

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We waited from 2000 to 2009 and I couldn't, at the time, believe how long it took us.

It's been that long already (longer even) and it doesn't feel like it. '09 gave me an appreciation for how hard it is, which is something I didn't have while the Yankees were rattling them off when I was in grade school.

At this point, I feel privileged just that we compete for it almost constantly. Grabbing another one would just be incredible.

The only thing I'm slightly salty about is the Red Sox packing them away this century. But at least I have an ounce of respect for that organization and their fans, unlike a certain hockey team. (not mentioning any names)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yeah 2009 was magical, so many likable players going out on top. It would've been a shame to see Matsui, DRob, CC without a ring. Wouldn't trade that memory for Mike Trout as much as I think he's the best player this generation.

Reactions: Machinehead

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The only thing I'm slightly salty about is the Red Sox packing them away this century. But at least I have an ounce of respect for that organization and their fans, unlike a certain hockey team. (not mentioning any names)

I have zero respect for Boston. For years they bitched and moaned how we bought titles. Now that they are doing it all you hear is crickets.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Idk @Machinehead although i was probably around the same age as you for the ‘96-‘00 world series titles, the ‘98 one was one heck of a year ill never forget. The ‘01 wouldve just been a story for the ages with the tragedy this city and the nation was coping with. The DBacks had two Aces and just hung around in that series and Mariano finally looked human in that Game 7. Should have won in 2003 and 2004. We had great teams those years. 2004 really hurt for obvious reasons.

I will say one thing about 2009, it was pretty amazing watching us win that one while i was attending college in Massachusetts. Walking around campus with my yankee gear on and celebrating in my dorm amongst sox fans was pretty enjoyable

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Idk @Machinehead although i was probably around the same age as you for the ‘96-‘00 world series titles, the ‘98 one was one heck of a year ill never forget. The ‘01 wouldve just been a story for the ages with the tragedy this city and the nation was coping with. The DBacks had two Aces and just hung around in that series and Mariano finally looked human in that Game 7. Should have won in 2003 and 2004. We had great teams those years. 2004 really hurt for obvious reasons.

I will say one thing about 2009, it was pretty amazing watching us win that one while i was attending college in Massachusetts. Walking around campus with my yankee gear on and celebrating in my dorm amongst sox fans was pretty enjoyable
2001 haunts me, and 2004 broke me.

But that also contributed to my greater appreciation of 2009.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Regardless of the result that WS against the D-Backs was the most exciting WS that I've ever watched.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

In some ways im kinda enjoying this just because he was so stupid in the interview he gave. I know not every player hustles and thats fine. And I even like Machado. But boy did he do such a poor job of marketing himself there.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Andy Martino has been somewhat reliable with his sources. This past week he was very involved with the Cano info, although he couldve been feeding off some of the other guys in the industry.

Hoping this isnt true. Preference is Harper

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Andy Martino has been somewhat reliable with his sources. This past week he was very involved with the Cano info, although he couldve been feeding off some of the other guys in the industry.

Hoping this isnt true. Preference is Harper

Yeah he actually reported the Mets getting 20m in the Cano trade, when everyone else was saying 60m, and got killed for it on twitter.

Welp.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Corbin and I'd be shocked if they're not in on Machado.
I think Corbin is 95% happening. Just too much out there about his love for the Yankees.

Then it comes down to Machado vs Harper. I think they sign one of them.

I would like to look into Murphy/Schoop for 2B. Hechevarria as plan B after them for INF depth.

Sign Miller. Sign one of DRob/Ottavino/Britton. Maybe two of those 3. I want to push Holder out.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
is there a thor for bryant (assuming a healthy shoulder) deal there to be made ?

both 26 yrs old.

or move thor for a package of young studs who will be cheap for years and then sign kluber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad