OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

As a Mets fan I appreciate the effort here by BVW but dealing Kelenic scares me.

Guessing dealing Bruce and NT Wilmer means Alonso/Smith fight it out for first? Frazier and McNeil platoon at 3rd?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the Mets, this is a "go for it" move, and I've heard they might, but even if they do, where are they going?

Does anyone really consider the Mets a legitimate World Series candidate? Not trying to just shit on the Mets, but this doesn't make sense to me and I'm legitimately asking.

They were a 78-win team with maybe the most dominant pitcher ever in a single season. While DeGrom's status as an elite player is fully repeatable, are we expecting a 10 WAR again?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Stanton is going to make some people look really dumb next year.
I don't think anyone is positing that Stanton isn't an effective player.

But he is a two-outcome hitter who's hovered around a 4.0 WAR most years. He's paid like an 8.0 WAR player.

It's the same as Bryce Harper. Nobody is saying Harper isn't a very good player, but he's going to be paid like a generational player.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

But he is a two-outcome hitter who's hovered around a 4.0 WAR most years. He's paid like an 8.0 WAR player.

It's the same as Bryce Harper. Nobody is saying Harper isn't a very good player, but he's going to be paid like a generational player.

Only because he hasn't played full seasons every year. I mean theres an argument to be made there, but its besides the point.

We're not paying him like that though. We're on the hook for 22 a year, thats going to be much less than someone like Harper will get.

Its amazing how people have soured on him after a season that wasn't really that bad where he got off to a miserable start. Ya'll will forget about it when he crushes it next year.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

What's your take on Manny Machado?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What's your take on Manny Machado?
He's probably also going to be overpaid, but you sort of always overpay for elite UFA talent. Still a phenomenal player. Simply a level above Stanton and Haper.

His character is a different issue. I don't think it matters when it comes down to W-L's but I'd be pretty embarrassed having him on my team. He's the Tom Wilson of baseball.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
He's probably also going to be overpaid, but you sort of always overpay for elite UFA talent. Still a phenomenal player. Simply a level above Stanton and Haper.

His character is a different issue. I don't think it matters when it comes down to W-L's but I'd be pretty embarrassed having him on my team. He's the Tom Wilson of baseball.

See, I'm the opposite. I have Harper above Machado

Better career OBP (like a lot higher), slugging and OPS. Both have even career BA. Machado is the better defender, though.

Reactions: Cassano

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
so now diaz has bone spurs and is likely damaged goods LOLMets
He's had bone spurs since before he was drafted. Everyone has known about them forever. It's not a surprise. If they ever become an issue, which they haven't yet, he'd have off-season surgery with a recovery time of a couple months.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
That Joel Sherman math is an odd way of looking at it. The Mets owe Cano $100M. And they have to replace Bruce.

Bottom line for me is this: I'll be okay with the trade if they hang onto Thor and sign one of Harper/Machado. Otherwise, it will strike me as an odd half measure intended only to get some more butts in seats.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This is such a mets type deal.

Give them credit though, they are trying to be relevant. Prospects are just that and more can be had in the next draft. I guess

With this pitching staff inc Thor I guess Brody thinks they can win. With Diaz, they can finish games and with cano they have a legit bat that can make a difference. Add McNeill and Alonso and this isn’t a bad lineup.

Go get a real catcher and who knows with cesspool if he can play at all. Still need a setup guy.

Diaz is dominant and if they have a lead in the 9th, they should win.

If nothing else it’s gonna mean they have a chance this year anyway.

Rebuild?? What rebuild ??

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I still really don't understand the point of trading Syndergaard unless you're bringing back equivalent value at a player position. Maybe I am misinterpreting aging curves for a pitcher, but why go for a guy that's going on 33 when you can keep a pitcher that's about to be 26 and should be providing similar value to Kluber for the next ~7 years?

Reactions: East Coast Bias
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
For the Mets, this is a "go for it" move, and I've heard they might, but even if they do, where are they going?

Does anyone really consider the Mets a legitimate World Series candidate? Not trying to just **** on the Mets, but this doesn't make sense to me and I'm legitimately asking.

They were a 78-win team with maybe the most dominant pitcher ever in a single season. While DeGrom's status as an elite player is fully repeatable, are we expecting a 10 WAR again?
I don’t think it’s impossible in this division. But they can’t be done ot yet. They need to make more moves. Add another arm or two to the bullpen. They need a catcher. They need a CF.

But it’s not had to believe that Conforto and Rosario will be the guys they were in the second half. Having a full year of McNeil helps.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t think it’s impos. But they can’t be done ot yet. They need to make more moves. Add another arm or two to the bullpen. They need a catcher. They need a CF.

But it’s not had to believe that that a Conforto and Rosario will be the guys they were in the second half. Having a full year of McNeil helps.
Needing a catcher and needing a CF is kind of a big deal.

Although, I will say this, provided you get that from Conforto and Rosario, which I think they well, and McNeil is the real deal (I just really wanted to say that) I could see a scenario where they get into the playoffs. Once you're in, the NL is pretty wide open. There's no super-team in the NL.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

As a Mets fan I appreciate the effort here by BVW but dealing Kelenic scares me.

Guessing dealing Bruce and NT Wilmer means Alonso/Smith fight it out for first? Frazier and McNeil platoon at 3rd?

It seems most scouts don’t think Kelenic is going to be anything insanely special but I don’t know how these guys make these projections so early on. He could easily be in the majors in 2-3 years. It’s funny how the Reds screwing up in the draft helped the Mets make this trade. That Jonathan India pick by then made zero sense based on their needs. If the Mets take him they likely have to put McNeil in this deal or it doesn’t happen at all possibly. India is closer to ML projections and he was bad in the minors last year

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It seems most scouts don’t think Kelenic is going to be anything insanely special but I don’t know how these guys make these projections so early on. He could easily be in the majors in 2-3 years. It’s funny how the Reds screwing up in the draft helped the Mets make this trade. That Jonathan India pick by then made zero sense based on their needs. If the Mets take him they likely have to put McNeil in this deal or it doesn’t happen at all possibly. India is closer to ML projections and he was bad in the minors last year

Bingo that was their guy.

Funny how the Mets have an awful system now reporters are going nuts they traded prospects.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Funny how the Mets have an awful system now reporters are going nuts they traded prospects.

no one said the mets system wasn't still terrible. they drafted one good hitter and they just traded him away for a 36 year old steroid user

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

India may have fooled everyone by having that one good year late. There is a long list of guys who’ve either fallen in the draft due to a bad year in college or risen due to a good one who’ve ended up being stars/busts respectively

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don’t think it’s impossible in this division. But they can’t be done ot yet. They need to make more moves. Add another arm or two to the bullpen. They need a catcher. They need a CF.

But it’s not had to believe that Conforto and Rosario will be the guys they were in the second half. Having a full year of McNeil helps.

His first and 2nd half splits are nearly identical.

Reactions: darko

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm getting an odd feeling Mets are gonna sign one of Machado or Harper now
I highly doubt that. Phillies are gonna get one of those guy at least. And the Yankees probably the other.

I think they'll sign a guy like AJ Pollock though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad