OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Scouts are saying this kid is going to be a star. A 5-Tool player. If you sign Machado, he replaces Andujar.

Hicks is not going to be here long term. Frazier in LF. Florial in CF in 2-3 years. Lengthen the window while having cheaper salaries on the books.

He has star potential, hes far from a lock to get there.

Again, hes a guy who doesn't have significant time above high A ball. If you want to wait on him okay, but you're likely pissing away the next 2 seasons waiting for him unless something clicks overnight and he forces his way onto the team before that.

Why isn't hicks going to be here long term? Did I miss the memo on him signing somewhere else?

Either way, the guy who mashed to a +900 ops clip during the 2nd half is a guy who I hold in higher regard. If we're moving him, its for a young stud arm or Bumgarner, not Kluber.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Okay and they dont have to sacrifice Florial to achieve that. They dont. They were one game away from the WS just two years ago with a very young and raw team. They lost this past year to a 108 team that was on a war path. They are not far off.

Sign Machado.
Sign Daniel Murphy for 2B
Let Voit/Bird battle out 1B
Sign Miller
Try to re-sign one of DRob/Britton
Trade for Kluber with Andujar as the main piece
Sign one of Corbin/Happ/Keuchel (last resort)
Re-Sign Hechevarria

cut.gif

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He has star potential, hes far from a lock to get there.

Again, hes a guy who doesn't have significant time above high A ball. If you want to wait on him okay, but you're likely pissing away the next 2 seasons waiting for him unless something clicks overnight and he forces his way onto the team before that.

Why isn't hicks going to be here long term? Did I miss the memo on him signing somewhere else?

Either way, the guy who mashed to a +900 ops clip during the 2nd half is a guy who I hold in higher regard. If we're moving him, its for a young stud arm or Bumgarner, not Kluber.
Hicks is nearing 30. I wish it wasnt the case. We kinda of lost the prior to years due to him being banged up at times. A late bloomer. Im pretty sure he is due for a new contract after this season. I would rather sell while his value is high. And find a cheap stopgap in the OF. And I like Hicks a lot but I just think this is the better route.

Also about a year and a half ago, people certainly did not see this coming with Andujar. Sure he was progressing but certainly not to this level. Talking 2016 season. I think age 21 at that time. Florial has a better skillset and toolbox than him and is what 19? 20? Who is to say it cant change in 1 year. It certainly can.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It can but it hasn't. I like the player and am not looking to just give him away, but I'm also not letting him (or any other prospect in the system) get in the way of adding high quality arms.

If Andujar had more miles on him I may be inclined to agree, but he just wrapped up his rookie season and he mashed. On one hand, his value may never be higher but I also don't want to trade him for a 33 year old with a ton of miles on him, no matter how good he may be.

If I'm moving a proven commodity, I want either a younger return or Bumgarner, who carries some of the same risks but is the stud of all studs in the post season.

Reactions: Machinehead

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Hicks is a late bloomer and is at 29 but I think those details make him more valuable to the Yankees as an active player than as trade bait.

Prospects are so vague and mysterious in this sport. Hicks is a really good ballplayer. Your team is competing right now. He put up nearly 5 WAR this year in 137 games and 3.3 WAR last year in only 88.

Peep the center fielder leader-boards in the AL. Hell peep them in the entire MLB. Hicks is that dude.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hicks is UFA after next season. He'll either be here next year only or until mid 30s. Would you feel confident giving Hicks 5 or 6 year deal?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hicks is UFA after next season. He'll either be here next year only or until mid 30s. Would you feel confident giving Hicks 5 or 6 year deal?
If it is a reasonable contract, then no doubt I'd give him that term. He's our 2nd best player ATM.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Prospect hugging during the Gerit Cole talks last offseason could prove beneficial to us acquiring Kluber who is a better pitcher. At the time Andujar was still a prospect with potential, but by holding onto him, he increased his overall value whether it be to the Team or as a Trade Asset by pretty much being the AL ROY. And if he is the centerpiece in the deal for Kluber, that deal would have a better chance of providing multiple championships than a Cole deal.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
i don't get why that guy is getting crucified....and that's a pretty shitty way to start an interview. Came off as more of an ass than sarcastic.

it's not like he had DeGrom 5th on his ballot, he had him 2nd....Scherzer had a crazy year too but DeGrom's was just a bit better.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bauer is one of the most self-important assholes out there. He'll have a good gig though taking over as the next Curt Schilling once he retires.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
i don't get why that guy is getting crucified....and that's a pretty ****ty way to start an interview. Came off as more of an ass than sarcastic.

it's not like he had DeGrom 5th on his ballot, he had him 2nd....Scherzer had a crazy year too but DeGrom's was just a bit better.

Meh it was clearly in jest. I don't know what he expected going on the FAN in NY at 1am after he was the only guy not to vote a NY pitcher 1st. More funny than anything

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I thought the comment about "looking for 15 minutes of fame" was extremely chiding from Somers. Felt it was a little beyond good fun.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I could understand some not liking Bauer but Schilling is a bigoted, hateful D-bag, so i don't like that comp.
I won't get into his politics but some of the conspiracy theories he espouses are just as dangerous and damaging. Schilling didn't become disgusting until he retired. Like I said, give it until Bauer retires.

Either way, people that feel a need to constantly point out how smart/intellectual/"scientific" they are, are usually none of those things, but are always douchebags.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I won't get into his politics but some of the conspiracy theories he espouses are just as dangerous and damaging. Schilling didn't become disgusting until he retired. Like I said, give it until Bauer retires.

Either way, people that feel a need to constantly point out how smart/intellectual/"scientific" they are, are usually none of those things, but are always *****ebags.

I found Bauer's insights about spin rate interesting. I also think he made an unfortunate joke about a conspiracy theory and it was in poor taste and judgment.

But Curt Schilling has repeatedly compared Muslims to Nazis. Let's not compare them at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad