OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Frazier was having an excellent season in the minors until the concussion symptoms started again. Baseball concussions aren't viewed as career threatening. So that helps.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I feel like the Mets are in this weird limbo phase where their offense will continue to be ass, but their pitching will be good enough to keep them in the NL East race. Has BVW mentioned any specific plans lately? All I've seen is that they're generally interested in more of the big ticket bullpen FAs and some catchers.
BVW sounds like a brand of underwear. While it might be appropriate for the Mets, we need a better nickname for him.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Ohtani wins ROY.

Well deserved.

Not at all deserved. Should have been Andujar's award, and not to a part-time pitcher/hitter that was hurt for a lot of the year.

Then again, anything to not give a Yankees player an award, so not surprising at all. Only reason Judge won ROY last year is because they LEGIT had no choice (and one could argue should have won the MVP award as well).

Why didn’t Gary Sanchez win ROY 2 years ago? Because he didn’t play enough games, but Othani only played 100 games and wins it.

They have no problems giving ROY award to Japanese players until it came to Hideki Matsui, then it's apparently a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: NCRanger

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Not at all deserved. Should have been Andujar's award, and not to a part-time pitcher/hitter that was hurt for a lot of the year.

Then again, anything to not give a Yankees player an award, so not surprising at all. Only reason Judge won it last year is because they had no choice.
Not a chance that Andujar had a better season overall.

Ohtani (3.9 WAR) vs. Andujar (2.2 WAR, by far worst defense in baseball).

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Not a chance that Andujar had a better season overall.

Ohtani (3.9 WAR) vs. Andujar (2.2 WAR, by far worst defense in baseball).

Player A .297 BA 27 HR's 83 Runs 170 Hits 47 Doubles 149 Games

Player B .285 BA 22 HR's 59 Runs 93 Hits 21 Doubles 104 Games

Player A- Miggy Andujar
Player B- Shohei Ohtani

Ohtani only pitched in like 10 games due to injury, and Andujar's defense may not be great, but at least he plays the field.

Funny how games played doesn't matter all of a sudden, but it did when it came to Gary Sanchez two years ago, even though he had a higher WAR than Fulmer.

Reactions: NCRanger

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Player A- Miggy Andujar
Player B- Shohei Ohtani

Ohtani only pitched in like 10 games due to injury, and Andujar's defense may not be great, but at least he plays the field.

Funny how games played doesn't matter all of a sudden, but it did when it came to Gary Sanchez two years ago.
Ohtani: 285/.361/.564/22 HR + 50 IP of elite pitching / 3.9 WAR
Andujar: .297/.328/.527/27 HR / 2.2 WAR

It's not even close TBH.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Ohtani: 285/.361/.564/22 HR + 50 IP of elite pitching / 3.9 WAR
Andujar: .297/.328/.527/27 HR / 2.2 WAR

It's not even close TBH.

Except it is. Ohtani was injured like half the year. He also doesn't lose WAR for being just a DH.

WAR and games played clearly didn't matter two years ago with Sanchez.

Hideki Matsui was screwed because he supposedly wasn't a "true rookie."

There's always been a Yankee bias, though. Most of us have just come to accept it at this point. The writers always change the narrative when it comes to the Yankees.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Except it is. Ohtani was injured like half the year (pitching). He also doesn't lose WAR for being just a DH.

WAR and games played clearly didn't matter two years ago with Sanchez.

Hideki Matsui was screwed because he supposedly wasn't a "true rookie."

There's always been a Yankee bias, though. Most of us have just come to accept it at this point. The writers always change the narrative when it comes to the Yankees.
I think you're preaching to the choir for me. Gary and Judge deserved ROTY and MVP respectively last 2 years. I genuinely feel both of them were robbed.

Ohtani on the other hand I felt definitely deserved it - despite the injuries. He was simply a better/more valuable player.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Judge wasn't robbed. Altuve was just as good as Judge. It was a coin toss.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Player A- Miggy Andujar
Player B- Shohei Ohtani

Funny how games played doesn't matter all of a sudden, but it did when it came to Gary Sanchez two years ago, even though he had a higher WAR than Fulmer.

I wish Andujar didn't play the field. He is a liability defensively.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Judge wasn't robbed. Altuve was just as good as Judge. It was a coin toss.

What's another funny thing? Judge got denied MVP for the same reasons that Ohtani supposedly won ROY.

Judge led the AL in four categories last year, home runs (51), runs (127), walks (126) and slugging (.625). Second in RBI (113) and on-base percentage (.421).

That being said, I was okay with Altuve winning it last season. But the point is, a coin toss will always go to the non-Yankee.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What's another funny thing? Judge got denied MVP for the same reasons that Ohtani supposedly won ROY.

Judge led the AL in four categories last year, home runs (51), runs (127), walks (126) and slugging (.625). Second in RBI (113) and on-base percentage (.421).

You lost me on runs and RBIs. Why are you using team based stats to evaluate a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad