OT: MLB Discussion Thread: Part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They can afford it but it may not be a good business decision.
They absolutely can. 100%.
Ok, in theory, they can sign Harper, Machado and anyone else they want to. In reality, Steinbrenner is willing to go over the tax treshold, but does not really want to do it as it will make singing anyone else virtually all but impossible. Cashman, I believe, also wants flexibility.

It is quite easy to say "They are wealthy", they can do whatever it takes. Business is not quite that way. Stanton has a $300m contract. Judge will have a $300m contract. They cannot afford to sign either Harper or Machado to one. One cannot have a $900m outfield and then pay the rest of the team.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Yankees have met with Cleveland and Seattle Re: Kluber, Carrasco and Paxton.

Make it happen Cash... and by that I mean Kluber and Paxton.
If he can land Kluber and Paxton ill personally build a statue of him in front of Yankee Stadium.Get them 2,stay away from Harper,Machado and 300 million + contracts,and go to war with what we got.Pitching has to be priority #1,2 and 3.We can get by with our offense as is.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Ok, in theory, they can sign Harper, Machado and anyone else they want to. In reality, Steinbrenner is willing to go over the tax treshold, but does not really want to do it as it will make singing anyone else virtually all but impossible. Cashman, I believe, also wants flexibility.

It is quite easy to say "They are wealthy", they can do whatever it takes. Business is not quite that way. Stanton has a $300m contract. Judge will have a $300m contract. They cannot afford to sign either Harper or Machado to one. One cannot have a $900m outfield and then pay the rest of the team.
Like I said, it may not be a good business decision but different steinbrenners place a different priority on winning vs good business. :)

darko

Feb 16, 2009
What about Charlie Morton on a 1 or 2 year deal?

That's assuming we miss out on Kluber and/or Paxton. Paxton is an interesting case. He's 30 and under team control for 2 more seasons. Will hit free agency at 32. What sort of contract do you give him at that point?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

That's assuming we miss out on Kluber and/or Paxton. Paxton is an interesting case. He's 30 and under team control for 2 more seasons. Will hit free agency at 32. What sort of contract do you give him at that point?
Paxton it depends on the type of season he's having. If he continues to perform as a solid #2 guy, you would need to give him at least 4-5 years to retain him.

I would really like Morton TBH. Didn't even realize he's a free agent. I think Corbin signing is pretty much a lock though.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'd stay away from Morton. Red flag city there and he'd throw like 30 innings for us over 2 years.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Kluber, Kipnis (since they're trying to cut salary) for Andujar, Frazier and Betances. Gleybor moves to SS, Kipnis to 2B and they sign Donaldson from free agency to play 3rd. Sign Corbin. Re-vamped rotation without giving up Justus

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Knowing Dipoto, this could be a 14 player trade involving 4 teams. Segura is an intriguing name as well.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I feel like the Mets are in this weird limbo phase where their offense will continue to be ass, but their pitching will be good enough to keep them in the NL East race. Has BVW mentioned any specific plans lately? All I've seen is that they're generally interested in more of the big ticket bullpen FAs and some catchers.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm surprised teams are still interested in Clint Frazier as a key piece in dealing a top rotation arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad