OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Jeter should've retired after his injury plague season last year. He only hurt the Yankees playoff chances this year. I'm excited to see Prado take over SS.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
While I agree with your sentiments, are you going to tell me that Derek Jeter is not a top 5 SS of all time?

Range is overrated imo. With advanced statistics and defensive shifts it just doesn't make that much of a difference. Just make the easy plays and I'll be happy with that. Flores needs to hit.

There is nothing overrated about the range.

Despite his defensive limitations Jeter is still a top-5 SS of all time. On most lists he should be 3rd or 4th. Wagner and A-Rod are 1 and 2 and then it's Ripken/Jeter. Then everyone else.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Jeter should've retired after his injury plague season last year. He only hurt the Yankees playoff chances this year. I'm excited to see Prado take over SS.

I know what you mean but in the same time I was glad he went another year. He passed Wagner and Yas on the career hit list this season. He also had a shot at catching Tris Speaker who is 5th all time. Slim chance but still had a shot. He was about 190 hits behind Speaker at the start of the season and had to have a season similar to 2012. If he managed to stay somewhat healthy last year he would've breezed past Speaker. Oh well.

BarbaraAlphanse

People accept Murphy's defensive range because he hits the ball.

They don't like his defense, they don't dislike it, but they tolerate it. He produces at the plate and that gets them to accept his defensive shortcomings.

I don't think we can field two of our top defensively responsible positions w/ two guys who naturally aren't fit to play there.

And I do tend to value a short stop's defense ability more than a 2b'ers.

I wasn't a fan of Flores being our SS because to me, his defensive ability didn't look like it would fit in that position.

But he can hit better than Tejada, and our weakness is our hitting - not our fielding.

So to be complaining about him right now seems rather nit-picky. He's hard to strike out, and we've seen more doubles and HR's out of him in this limited sample size than we could have seen from Ruben in 2 years.

If we upgrade there over the offseason, that's fine w/ me... but i'd be far more interested in finding a big time LF bat than finding a shortstop that is defensively more responsible than Flores - a guy who handles everything he can get to, but can't necessarily get to all that much.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know what you mean but in the same time I was glad he went another year. He passed Wagner and Yas on the career hit list this season. He also had a shot at catching Tris Speaker who is 5th all time. Slim chance but still had a shot. He was about 190 hits behind Speaker at the start of the season and had to have a season similar to 2012. If he managed to stay somewhat healthy last year he would've breezed past Speaker. Oh well.

Jeter if he wanted to could hang around awhile yet and cruise past 4,000. I respect that he knows he's not great anymore and is choosing not to sit around batting .250 with no power and DHing half the time.

I didn't mind him this year at all though. He's hardly this team's problem.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the problem with the Yankees is the heart of the order consisting of Failtran, McStrikeout, and Corpsexeira.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Jeter if he wanted to could hang around awhile yet and cruise past 4,000. I respect that he knows he's not great anymore and is choosing not to sit around batting .250 with no power and DHing half the time.

I didn't mind him this year at all though. He's hardly this team's problem.

He's 550 hits short of 4K. At his current pace that's about 4 years of cruising around. That's assuming he's getting regular PT.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Somebody would do it. Maybe not the Yankees, but somebody would.

Why? Why would another organization employ a guy who is now statistically one of the five worst shortstops in baseball for four years? Please don't say ticket sales. The name Derek Jeter isn't going to magically sell tickets to non-Yankee fans. It's like Martin Brodeur. He's not an NHL caliber goalie anymore so nobody wants him. His resume doesn't mean squat at this point.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Individual accomplishments are nice, but ultimately the team's goal is to compete for the WS and Jeter hurt the Yankees this year doing that. Please no more of this retirement tour **** next time.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Individual accomplishments are nice, but ultimately the team's goal is to compete for the WS and Jeter hurt the Yankees this year doing that. Please no more of this retirement tour **** next time.

There's nobody else left on the Yankees who would get this kind of treatment anyway.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Mejia owes Edgin and Familia big time after he nearly managed to flush a gorgeous deGrom outing down the toilet.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Mejia has never instilled confidence in me. What an outing by DeGrom.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York

Jeter's awful year is still the 3rd highest batting average of the regulars, or 4th if you count Prado/Ichio... Yeah his OPS is low, but he's a 40 year old SS. What else would you expect. Jeter is not a top 5 reason for the Yankees playoff chances being low.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Jeter's awful year is still the 3rd highest batting average of the regulars, or 4th if you count Prado/Ichio... Yeah his OPS is low, but he's a 40 year old SS. What else would you expect. Jeter is not a top 5 reason for the Yankees playoff chances being low.

He has a wRC+ of 72, which is the worst of anyone on the roster with more than 250 plate appearances. To get an idea of just how bad that is, that's lower than Brian Roberts' 83 and he got released.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...am=9&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Mets. Sell tickets.

The Mets won't start selling tickets until they put a good product on the field.

Show me the Mets fan that turns out to see a ****** version of a guy they've hated for 2 decades. Anyway, this year was billed as his retirement tour, so everyone should have had their opportunity to go see him. The Mets would further alienate SO many of their fans if they did that.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The Mets won't start selling tickets until they put a good product on the field.

Show me the Mets fan that turns out to see a ****** version of a guy they've hated for 2 decades. Anyway, this year was billed as his retirement tour, so everyone should have had their opportunity to go see him. The Mets would further alienate SO many of their fans if they did that.

The hypothetical is so stupid that it's almost beyond comprehension. He thinks the Mets would not only be willing to trot out the husk of what was once Derek Jeter, but that they'd be willing to do it for multiple seasons while he chases Pete Rose.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I'm happy with the season. The depth of the organization was tested and it did so-so. The season was far from a catastrophe even though in felt like it at some point.

The culture/mood around the team was positive. The only distraction was the Jeter thing but doesn't seem like the players were pissed about it as much as I was.

The pitching was fine. The offense needs help. I'd rather they try to work mechanics with the hitters then getting new one.

The Yankees never go up the middle, which is a basic function of swinging. Get on top of the ball, swing level or down and spray to all fields.

Miss those days.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Mejia also has a ****** back, and has been subpar since the news came out that he has a ****** back, but they won't sit him.

Sure, it's an "injury you can play through" but I can't imagine it's not ****ing him up.

Season's over, let him rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad