OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Correct. The market dynamics have changed. Top-tier free agents rarely hit the market nowadays (or come with huge question marks), and the cost to acquire one via trade is always very high in young talent. To be successful, a team really needs to either develop young talent for themselves or to use to acquire established talent from other organizations.

Gone are the days where a team can buy their way to any kind of sustained success. I think you can buy a short period of high-caliber play at the team level, but you'll soon find yourself paying huge money to guys that are old and terribly overpaid.

Which leads to the revolving door of patchwork players the Yankees have been relying on for a while now. Granted, I never imagined Beltran and McCann would have played THIS bad in the first years of their contracts but there still needs to be more of an emphasis place on developing young talent rather than overhyping their prospects as they have been for what seems like the past decade.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Watch Colon completely **** the bed his last few starts, causing his trade value to fall off a cliff.

Regardless of that happening or not, I maintain he should have been moved during the season with his starts being given to some of the younger guys like Verrett and Mazzoni.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Goeddel will need a third pitch to make it in the bigs. Too much of a difference between the heater and that bendy hook. EDIT: Well there you go...throws a change to K Hamilton.

I want to see more of the kid Alvarez.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
and Grandy 5 homers tonight for the Mets..Sometimes I wish we played in a wiffle ball park it would be fun to see homers every game

BarbaraAlphanse

Mets now have a good problem on their hands. I don't know if I trust Herrera just yet, to take the reigns every day... but we certainly know that he has that potential moving forward.

Wilmer has really settled into his own these last couple of weeks. The bat we heard about it turning around. I imagine that he had the same problem Duda had when he came up - lack of confidence in his fielding that negatively affected his hitting.

I read somewhere that Flores only has 1 error at SS. That's perfectly fine. The report on him is lack of range but can handle most nearly everything that he gets to. Read another report that said that his range only appears bad because he looks so gangly and slow. He's actually taller than most shortstops in the league, which mean his strides are longer and his wingspan is longer. Apparently the range flaw is overblown, according to the second set of reports i'm referencing.

Syndergaard got lit up last night 5-6 ER in 4 IP. Not the best. I wonder if they'll keep holding him out until he starts showing consistency, or if they decide its not worth it anymore, like they did w/ Wheeler, and call him up to start next season. I'd imagine the former, as it moves his super 2 date even further back.

Matz 3 ER in 5 IP. I think that's a fine line.

Reynolds is in a slump. Imagine that if Flores keeps his hitting up and continues limiting his errors at SS, he'll be hard to move out of that position, no matter how well Reynolds is doing. I imagine Reynolds is up to start the year next year, too - whether that be in Zil's predicted utility role or in a starting role if Flores messes up.

As for what to do w/ Murphy because of Herrera... if the FO feels that Herrera can provide what Murphy does moving forward on the get-go... then they have a VERY valuable piece to deal for another hitter.

Couple that with Colon, one (or both) of Gee/Niese, and perhaps a prospect like Montero... that should be able to get you a bonafide LFer. Very promising for our offseason outlook in regard.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I read somewhere that Flores only has 1 error at SS. That's perfectly fine. The report on him is lack of range but can handle mostly everything that he gets to. Read another report that said that his range only appears bad because he looks so gangly and slow. He's actually taller than most shortstops in the league, which mean his strides are longer and his wingspan is longer. Apparently the range flaw is overblown, according to the second set of reports i'm referencing.

Which reports are they? All top dogs (BA, Sickels, Law etc) have said he has poor range. Is Baseball America wrong now? Flores at shortstop moves about as well as Nelson Cruz in the right field (maybe a touch harsh but you get my point). Who cares if he has good hands, you need to be able to get to the balls. Derek Jeter has good hands but subpar range. Are you going to tell me that Jeter is good defensively?

BarbaraAlphanse

Which reports are they? All top dogs (BA, Sickels, Law etc) have said he has poor range. Is Baseball America wrong now? Flores at shortstop moves about as well as Nelson Cruz in the right field (maybe a touch harsh but you get my point). Who cares if he has good hands, you need to be able to get to the balls. Derek Jeter has good hands but subpar range. Are you going to tell me that Jeter is good defensively?

Just a few that i've read here and there. Not saying that I agree with them. But whether his range is in fact bad or not, i guess we can leave that to the advance metric guys.

BarbaraAlphanse

If Gee pitches 2 more innings w/o letting up a run he'll have under a 3.6 ERA.

I'd seriously consider packaging him and Murphy together, w/ perhaps one of our good prospects that doesn't have a position w/ the team yet, for a legit LF.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
and Grandy 5 homers tonight for the Mets..Sometimes I wish we played in a wiffle ball park it would be fun to see homers every game

Grandy will probably be the leader of most strikeouts in a season for both the Mets and Yankees.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
man, for all the hate Cashman gets from Yankee fans, he's really made some really good un der the radar signings and trades, kinda reminds of me a Glen Sather but with much better results.. Mccarthy, Prado, Headley have all been pretty solid players for the Yankees and all could potentially be back (Prado will be) and the best prospect he gave up was Peter O Brien who projects to be a Shelley Duncan.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net

While I agree with your sentiments, are you going to tell me that Derek Jeter is not a top 5 SS of all time?

Range is overrated imo. With advanced statistics and defensive shifts it just doesn't make that much of a difference. Just make the easy plays and I'll be happy with that. Flores needs to hit.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
While I agree with your sentiments, are you going to tell me that Derek Jeter is not a top 5 SS of all time?

Range is overrated imo. With advanced statistics and defensive shifts it just doesn't make that much of a difference. Just make the easy plays and I'll be happy with that. Flores needs to hit.

What? Do you seriously think Flores is going to hit anywhere near as well as Jeter? Jeter's phenomenal bat more than makes up for his fielding at an offense-starved position, but he's been an awful defender over his career and there are no two ways about it. Flores projects to be as bad or worse with the glove, but nowhere near the hitter. And range is not overrated at all. Being able to get to more balls is far, far, far more important than reducing errors. Too many grounders to count have gone by Jeter over the course of his career for hits that an average or better defender gets to. Some of those opportunities undoubtedly turned into errors, but way more of them turned into outs. All that really matters when measuring glove work is how many balls in play you're turning into outs.

Also, why are you citing advanced statistics as an argument against range? The only fielders that advanced statistics don't prioritize range for are catchers.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't care for baseball. I have no true team allegiance, but by God do I respect Derek Jeter.

Please, for the love of God, get him to the playoffs one more time.

AHB*

What a brilliant day for the Yankees to do this, the first day of the NFL season SMH

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
What? Do you seriously think Flores is going to hit anywhere near as well as Jeter? Jeter's phenomenal bat more than makes up for his fielding at an offense-starved position, but he's been an awful defender over his career and there are no two ways about it. Flores projects to be as bad or worse with the glove, but nowhere near the hitter. And range is not overrated at all. Being able to get to more balls is far, far, far more important than reducing errors. Too many grounders to count have gone by Jeter over the course of his career for hits that an average or better defender gets to. Some of those opportunities undoubtedly turned into errors, but way more of them turned into outs. All that really matters when measuring glove work is how many balls in play you're turning into outs.

Also, why are you citing advanced statistics as an argument against range? The only fielders that advanced statistics don't prioritize range for are catchers.

I'm not saying Flores can hit like Jeter. I'm saying defense is overrated if the guy can hit. Jeter has been a top 5 SS of all time while playing lousy defense.

Flores' defensive war is -.1 this year in 59 games. That's acceptable if he can post a 2-3 offensive WAR. I spoke about advanced stats in terms that teams now know where to place position players in order to give them the best chance to make a play.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'm not saying Flores can hit like Jeter. I'm saying defense is overrated if the guy can hit. Jeter has been a top 5 SS of all time while playing lousy defense.

Flores' defensive war is -.1 this year in 59 games. That's acceptable if he can post a 2-3 offensive WAR. I spoke about advanced stats in terms that teams now know where to place position players in order to give them the best chance to make a play.

A) That's way too small a sample size to properly measure defensive value. Guys need to play multiple seasons before you can really gain a handle on how their defense measures out.

B) WAR is a cumulative stat. Flores has only played 42 games at shortstop this year.

C) Defense is not overrated. Juan Lagares has 5.6 bWAR because he's so freakishly good in the field. Just because it's harder to measure doesn't mean it's not as valuable.

D) Shortstop is one of the most defensively demanding positions on the field along with catcher and center field. Shifting isn't enough to mitigate a sub-par fielder at short. A hitter really needs to be elite to get away with a poor glove there.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Let me tell you something about Derek Jeter defensively. Limited range yes, but today Brian McCann makes a play that a pee wee leaguer would be benched for, throwing the ball away instead of a tagging a guy running right towards him. That would never happen with Jeter.

Baseball IQ and just flat out knowing how to play the damn game is dying. Jeter had lots of that, and doesn't show up on advanced stats.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Let me tell you something about Derek Jeter defensively. Limited range yes, but today Brian McCann makes a play that a pee wee leaguer would be benched for, throwing the ball away instead of a tagging a guy running right towards him. That would never happen with Jeter.

Baseball IQ and just flat out knowing how to play the damn game is dying. Jeter had lots of that, and doesn't show up on advanced stats.

That does show up in the advanced stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad