OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Bob Richards*

Continue.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 5m
Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Masahiro Tanaka has a small tear in his UCL. Will have PRP injection. Yankees hope he's back in six weeks.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 4m
The reality: Unless he's in the vast minority of players for whom rehab works, Masahiro Tanaka eventually will need Tommy John surgery.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 1m
Pitchers can throw with partially torn UCLs. Adam Wainwright's lasted for half a decade before it blew out. But he is the truest exception.

Harvey had the same exact injury last year. He tried rehabbing before he realized it was best just to get the surgery.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Metsies still swinging good bats. Wright is heating up, Granderson has been excellent outside of the first month, Duda actually looks like a real player, etc. We know the team can pitch--particularly with the bullpen having gotten its act together--so with even an average offense the team should be more than competitive each night.

My only fear is that we go on a little run, and decide to hold onto a guy like Colon or even Matsuzaka. The former could definitely return a decent young player. I'm not a fan of Alderson, but to his credit, he hasn't deviated from the plan of turning older assets into young pieces. I hope he sticks to that this year.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Yeah, it's silly to go for it in a year without Harvey. If someone's offering an interesting position prospect for Colon, then you have to deal him.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Metsies still swinging good bats. Wright is heating up, Granderson has been excellent outside of the first month, Duda actually looks like a real player, etc. We know the team can pitch--particularly with the bullpen having gotten its act together--so with even an average offense the team should be more than competitive each night.

My only fear is that we go on a little run, and decide to hold onto a guy like Colon or even Matsuzaka. The former could definitely return a decent young player. I'm not a fan of Alderson, but to his credit, he hasn't deviated from the plan of turning older assets into young pieces. I hope he sticks to that this year.

Your thoughts on pursuing a deal for Starlin Castro?

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
If we had Harvey and a big bat this year we could have won the division...We are getting close if Harvey returns to normal and wilpons spend some cash

BarbaraAlphanse

With Niese's return, I think it could signal the end of Colon here.

Dice-K is cheap and effective. Given a bullpen spot for the rest of the season, it's even possible that he can resign here yet again.

Gee, Niese, Wheeler, deGrom, Dice-K

Montero and Syndergaard waiting in the wings in case one of the starting 5 has a set back.

We badly need a consistently powerful LF.

BarbaraAlphanse

If we had Harvey and a big bat this year we could have won the division...We are getting close if Harvey returns to normal and wilpons spend some cash

With all the prospects we have, it'll be interesting to see what they do. Conforto could be up as soon as Sept of next year. Nimmo close thereafter. Granderson is signed through the '17 season. Lagares pretty indispensable in CF.

They'll have about 15-20 mill to spend this year, after giving Murphy and Gee increases to their salary.

Do they go after a slugging LF and block 2 of their top prospects for the foreseeable future? Doubtful.

I can't see them making a move past a 1 year commitment to a player. Similar to a CY or Nelson Cruz contract. Then rolling w/ the prospects after that.

Meaning our LF next year will again be hit or miss.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Your thoughts on pursuing a deal for Starlin Castro?

I'd be okay with it, if the price was right. I know there are questions about his makeup, but he's a young guy with undeniable talent.

I still don't know what to make of Tejada. If he can post a .700 OPS and play good defense, that's a perfectly acceptable SS on a good team. He's just so up and down.

BarbaraAlphanse

I'd be okay with it, if the price was right. I know there are questions about his makeup, but he's a young guy with undeniable talent.

I still don't know what to make of Tejada. If he can post a .700 OPS and play good defense, that's a perfectly acceptable SS on a good team. He's just so up and down.

He's definitely finding his stride...

Personally, I love what I see out of Matt Reynolds. Think he's going to be an effective top of the order bat.

I project him to hit .275-.310 throughout his career, 5-10 hrs, but constantly on base. Similar to Matt Carpenter of the Cardinals.

I'd rather not trade for Castro when this kid could really be the solution we lack. Would be happy to give assets up for a game changing LF, though.

BarbaraAlphanse

Mets have won 6 of 7. If they win tomorrow, they'll be 5 games below .500 and potentially only 5-6 games back from the division lead.

Conceivably, they could trade for a powerful LF and be contenders for the rest of the year.

Alderson has repeatedly said that this team should be better than they are. On aggregate, they should be better than .500 based on a runs for/runs against tally. They've scored more than they've allowed.

Whats more is that their pitching is somehow improving, which is impressive because it was already the strength of the ball club.

With Niese set to return soon, the Mets could have one of the most impressive rotations in the league.

Gee, Niese, Colon, Wheeler, deGrom. Colon could even be traded and the rotation would be absolutely unfazed.

This team reminds me of last year's Oakland A's, who were playing similar baseball to the Mets heading into the deadline and then ramped it up for an incredible run to end the season and make the playoffs.

Find a powerful LF. That may not only be the key moving forward, but also to this season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He's definitely finding his stride...

Personally, I love what I see out of Matt Reynolds. Think he's going to be an effective top of the order bat.

I project him to hit .275-.310 throughout his career, 5-10 hrs, but constantly on base. Similar to Matt Carpenter of the Cardinals.

I'd rather not trade for Castro when this kid could really be the solution we lack. Would be happy to give assets up for a game changing LF, though.

Reynolds is interesting for sure. Seems like the jury is still out on whether he's going to be able to stick at SS though. If we (stupidly) trade Murph, he'd be a viable candidate for 2B, though so would Flores.

On Matsuzaka, he IS cheap and effective, as well as versatile. That's why I think he's an excellent candidate to be moved. He's not going to be starting for us next year, and we're developing a good stable of reliable relievers. He's desirable--veteran arm, cheap, can start or pitch effectively from the pen, etc.

I'm not sold on looking to add a power bat this year. It's tempting, particularly given the mediocrity around us, but I think we're really one more year away. I'd rather sell Colon, Matsuzaka, EYJ and Chris Young (if anyone wants him) and try to sneak another couple good prospects.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Greene looks to have a power arm.

His minor league numbers are so out of whack with what we've seen from him in his first two starts, it's kind of stunning. Who pitches to a high 3s/low 4s ERA and a WHIP around 1.4 in minor league ball and then comes up and looks like this? I'd be surprised if he keeps it up, but he certainly passed the eye test this afternoon against the Os.

BarbaraAlphanse

Reynolds is interesting for sure. Seems like the jury is still out on whether he's going to be able to stick at SS though. If we (stupidly) trade Murph, he'd be a viable candidate for 2B, though so would Flores.

On Matsuzaka, he IS cheap and effective, as well as versatile. That's why I think he's an excellent candidate to be moved. He's not going to be starting for us next year, and we're developing a good stable of reliable relievers. He's desirable--veteran arm, cheap, can start or pitch effectively from the pen, etc.

I'm not sold on looking to add a power bat this year. It's tempting, particularly given the mediocrity around us, but I think we're really one more year away. I'd rather sell Colon, Matsuzaka, EYJ and Chris Young (if anyone wants him) and try to sneak another couple good prospects.

I think there is no chance CY will get traded. Perhaps dfa'ed but can't imagine another team will take him on. His last two years may have been his death sentence for his next contract.

I don't know if you can trade both Dice-K and Colon. Logic says that neither is in the team's future and that both should be traded. But if this team is .500 before the deadline, which isn't completely out of the picture, relying on Montero and/or Syndergaard could be problematic for trying to make the playoffs this year. I think this team is going to be right around .500 come July 31. If they get that bat... they could catch fire and make the playoffs in the first time for forever.

As for Reynolds, i've read the same report. I'm hoping he sticks there. I'm hoping he comes up and continues to produce consistently and effectively.

As for Murph. I love him. Loved him when he was coming up as a 3b. I think we should extend the man... but you have to wonder that if a team offers the Mets their top 2 prospects, if they would accept it immediately. Not only do we have Matt Reynolds that may (potentially) have to play 2b, but they have Dilson Herrera, who by all accounts looks like one of the most promising 2b prospects for any team.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

If any team could add a #1 starter and a big bat they would be greatly improved.

They spend plenty of cash. Their ability to figure out how to spend wisely is their sole problem.

BarbaraAlphanse

If any team could add a #1 starter and a big bat they would be greatly improved.

They spend plenty of cash. Their ability to figure out how to spend wisely is their sole problem.

I think they're 23rd in the league in terms of payroll. For a NY based team, unacceptable.

They're cutting down on spending but they're not cutting down on the astronomical ticket prices.

You go to Tampa Bay, you can get tickets for pennies, especially if the team is struggling.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

The payroll is like $85 million, and they're in the bottom third of the league. In this market, that's next to nothing.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
They're cutting down on spending but they're not cutting down on the astronomical ticket prices.

Going a bit off-topic here, but my Wife and I went to one of the Mets - Brewers games about a month ago. We paid $14 each for great tickets. Out of pure curiousity: Is that really considered astronomical?

In that case, I envy you guys. Those are the cheapest tickets I have gotten for anything sports related ever. $14 wouldn't have gotten us two one-hour subway tickets back here in Oslo.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think they're 23rd in the league in terms of payroll. For a NY based team, unacceptable.

You go to Tampa Bay, you can get tickets for pennies, especially if the team is struggling.

22nd. Oakland is 25th.

Two years ago they were 14th.

Three or four years ago, they were 7th. They were not real good then, either.

You can get Mets tickets for pennies.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
I hope Mets fans aren't pegging this team as contenders now. Let's see how they do after the All Star Break, their longtime nemesis.

Mets need to start trading some arms. Start of 2015 they could have eight MLB caliber starters. Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Niese, Gee, Colon, deGrom, and Montero. Plus look for Matz to make an impact by 2016.

If it was me I'd trade Wheeler and Colon. Wheeler's stock is really high and I don't have that much faith in him to be a frontline starter. His pitch count elevates quick and has trouble going 5. He is really Jekyll and Hyde with his starts.

As far as Bullpen goes I'm really excited for next year. Parnell and Mejia are both potential closers. And Familia looks like he could be a terrific set-up man.

BarbaraAlphanse

I hope Mets fans aren't pegging this team as contenders now. Let's see how they do after the All Star Break, their longtime nemesis.

Mets need to start trading some arms. Start of 2015 they could have eight MLB caliber starters. Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, Niese, Gee, Colon, deGrom, and Montero. Plus look for Matz to make an impact by 2016.

If it was me I'd trade Wheeler and Colon. Wheeler's stock is really high and I don't have that much faith in him to be a frontline starter. His pitch count elevates quick and has trouble going 5. He is really Jekyll and Hyde with his starts.

As far as Bullpen goes I'm really excited for next year. Parnell and Mejia are both potential closers. And Familia looks like he could be a terrific set-up man.

We could have 11 potential starters next year, which is even worse of a dilemma than 8.

Harvey, Niese, Gee, Wheeler, Colon, deGrom, Syndergaard, Mejia, Dice-K, Hefner, Montero

Yes, Mejia could always return back to the rotation. A big part of his move to the BP this year was to put him under an innings count. If need be, with Parnell back or even with a surge from Familia, he could return to the rotation. As for everyone else, the first 7 are self explanatory, if all are kept. I just explained my rationale behind Mejia up above. Dice-K was actually signed for 2 years, I believe, so he's believe it or not still a part of this team after this season. Hefner had finally worked out his stuff. His final 10 starts were pretty impressive. His rookie year he had between a 4.2 and 4.8 era, which is normal for a back end/middle end of the rotation guy. His last 10 starts he was in the 2-3 ERA ball park, and I believe that's with his last 3 starts pitching through the UCL tear. Montero is a guy that shouldn't be given up on at all, either.

11 guys that could be in the rotation, if need be.

Now you have to figure that Mejia will likely remain in the pen, to again prevent him from getting injured... which is likely... but 10 guys in a rotation that will likely feature 6... clearly you have room to maneuver a few moves to improve the offense.

Colon, as i've been stressing (and as we see from today's report) will likely be the first domino. That would give us a rotation of Gee, Niese, Wheeler, deGrom, and Dice-K to end the season. Let's figure that the Mets also trade Dice-K... one of Montero/Syndergaard would slot into the 5th starting position and likely do just as well, if not better, as Dice-K's projection is.

W/ Harvey coming back from Tommy John, you'd figure that they'd naturally add in a 6th starter to spread the innings out and allow Harvey the chance to pitch in the playoffs next year. Heffner will likely slot into the bullpen as our long reliever.

Rumors are that Colon is being shopped to the Indians... for whom, I do not know.

My hope would be to trade Colon for the best prospect available, and then flip that prospect with some of our own assets for a legitimate power hitting left fielder. If Joc Pederson could be had, I'd love it. LA has a logjam of outfielders.

I don't know who would be available, but this team can certainly make a big move to improve the LF this year while keeping our rotation just as competitive and dominant.

I can live with Ruben being our SS if the left fielder was a legitimate, middle of the order guy.

Granderson, Murphy, Wright, LF Acquisition, Duda, Lagares, d'Arnaud, Tejada, Pitcher.... that's dangerous AF, even for this year.

BarbaraAlphanse

Wonder what it would take to get Stanton out of Miami? Syndegaurd,Plaweicki plus what?

Trading with the Marlins would mean we'd have to pay a higher premium. As exciting as Giancarlo is, i'd rather not trade everything that would need to be traded in order to get him.

I'd also stay away from Tulo and Cargo. They are products of that field, especially Cargo. Tulo, while better away, is also a big injury risk.

Really don't know who would be available that would be of value to us moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille