OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part IV: Tanaka Injured

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
The hypothetical is so stupid that it's almost beyond comprehension. He thinks the Mets would not only be willing to trot out the husk of what was once Derek Jeter, but that they'd be willing to do it for multiple seasons while he chases Pete Rose.

the funny thing is the last person who'd actually want to do that is Jeter.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
There's nobody else left on the Yankees who would get this kind of treatment anyway.

That's good. Hopefully it is kept that way for the future. The Yankees need to trot out the best product on the field. They held onto guys like Bernie, Jeter, etc for too long, at least in starting roles on the roster.

Jeter's awful year is still the 3rd highest batting average of the regulars, or 4th if you count Prado/Ichio... Yeah his OPS is low, but he's a 40 year old SS. What else would you expect. Jeter is not a top 5 reason for the Yankees playoff chances being low.

I'd expect a 40 yr old shortstop to be a pinch hitter and backup player.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
it shouldn't be too difficult for the Yankees to find a starting SS this off season better than what they trot out there now.. no disrespect intended to Jeter.. and Drew is awful.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
it shouldn't be too difficult for the Yankees to find a starting SS this off season better than what they trot out there now.. no disrespect intended to Jeter.. and Drew is awful.

JJ Hardy is best of the bunch. I think Hanley gets a crazy offer from the Dodgers. Wouldn't mind Hardy. Putrid early but he's picked him game up in the 2nd half. One of the best fielding shortstops in the game.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
JJ Hardy is best of the bunch. I think Hanley gets a crazy offer from the Dodgers. Wouldn't mind Hardy. Putrid early but he's picked him game up in the 2nd half. One of the best fielding shortstops in the game.

I'd like to see them do something unconventional for them, and trade for a young SS. :laugh:

Hardy is actually interesting though, down year for him this year, but he's still putting up solid numbers from a position that doesnt have many of them.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
if I'm the Yankees this off season, I'm taking a chance on guys like Yasmani Tomas (23 year old Outfielder with power) and Kang (27 year old SS with power). forget signing these over the hill veterans, its time to start taking some risks like we did in the past when we signed international talent like Mo and Bernie, etc. We've also had some good luck with Japanese players other than igawa such as Matsui and obviously Tanaka. The market is quite crappy for those 2 positions we need, I'd take the risk.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Here's some more evidence the Wilpons are the scum of the earth: http://deadspin.com/former-mets-exec-sues-team-says-she-was-fired-for-bein-1633155330

Harassing and ultimately firing a woman for being pregnant. Keep making me proud, Metsies!

I'm a Yankee fan, so I have no loyalty to the Mets. With that said, this just wreaks of someone looking for a pay day. I find it interesting that she's worked for so many franchises, and already had a lawyer ready to go before she was ever fired (I'm going off the Newsday article I read earlier). Her being humiliated just sounds bogus to me - it seems more likely that she wasn't great at her job - ticket sales did plummet, and maybe they didn't think she was doing anything to help correct it (Yes, I realize that the on-field product wasn't anything special).

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm a Yankee fan, so I have no loyalty to the Mets. With that said, this just wreaks of someone looking for a pay day. I find it interesting that she's worked for so many franchises, and already had a lawyer ready to go before she was ever fired (I'm going off the Newsday article I read earlier). Her being humiliated just sounds bogus to me - it seems more likely that she wasn't great at her job - ticket sales did plummet, and maybe they didn't think she was doing anything to help correct it (Yes, I realize that the on-field product wasn't anything special).

Nothing unusual about her career path--she joined the Philadelphia teams right out of college and worked her way up to a senior executive position with the Mets, using other mid-level jobs in Boston and Orlando to get there. It actually sounds pretty standard. Her suit argues that she had received large bonuses prior to becoming pregnant, and it wasn't until after that she began having "performance" issues. As for the lawyer, well, had my employer developed a habit of abusive behavior towards me, I'd probably have a lawyer at the ready when the inevitable happened, too.

I'm inclined to believe the lady though, as I've seen and heard some things over the years that lead me to believe the Wilpons are generally ****** people. Anyway, probably shouldn't go further into this as nothing has been proven and it's pretty OT. We'll almost assuredly never hear how this ends up beyond "settled outside of court." :laugh:

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Also, she was apparently fired soon after lodging a complaint with human resources. I don't think she's making this up.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
This Yankee team isn't that good, but I still love watching them play. One of the more root-able teams in recent memory IMO. Good season.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Adam Warren time and time again blows these games. Girardi always going to trout him out there though. Gotta play the numbers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille