MLB 2023

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Season’s over.
The last two years, the Braves were mediocre the first half of the season until they ramped it up. The Phillies did the same last year. There's still a lot of time. My only concern with the Mets is that they're leaning heavily on two 40 year old starters, and the wear and tear can be tough over 162.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The last two years, the Braves were mediocre the first half of the season until they ramped it up. The Phillies did the same last year. There's still a lot of time. My only concern with the Mets is that they're leaning heavily on two 40 year old starters, and the wear and tear can be tough over 162.

Again, as evidenced by last night. The Mets just don't have 'it' and the Braves sure as hell do.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Again, as evidenced by last night. The Mets just don't have 'it' and the Braves sure as hell do.
There are a lot of negatives to take away. But, otoh, Alvarez is a game changer. If they can get find a truly fearsome lefty bat to put between Alvarez & Alonso, move Lindor up to batting 2nd, and move McNeil down the lineup for depth, the makings are there for a truly special lineup. In context, a team that scores 4, 5, and 10 runs in a 3 game series should win 2 of 3, and being swept with that kind of output is unthinkable. But that's probably the wrong approach.

Bullpens are fickle, and the loss of the best closer in baseball for the year was huge. And the lack of quality starts/innings eaten by starters are impacting the overused bullpen.

I think one of the things that has hurt the Mets in the past (as well as the Islanders, and certainly the Knicks) is an overly reactive approach to what's wrong. In reality, the Mets approach was to sign older starters as a band-aid or stitches, and it hasn't worked. What's the solution? Probably trading players in their primes who have value, especially those who are replaceable.

Given what's wrong with the team (a lack of young quality arms), I hope they approach the situation analytically. In essence, I think that might mean moving on from McNeil, Alonso, and anyone else of that age rage or older, except Nimmo, who can bring back young arms in trades. Lindor is the big disappointment this year, but I think they're stuck with him, and have to hope he'll bounce back.

I think the hardest decision is going to be wrt Alonso. He's good, but he's going to hit free agency before the Mets can get pitching together. And a big bat at 1B is more replaceable than other lacks.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
There are a lot of negatives to take away. But, otoh, Alvarez is a game changer. If they can get find a truly fearsome lefty bat to put between Alvarez & Alonso, move Lindor up to batting 2nd, and move McNeil down the lineup for depth, the makings are there for a truly special lineup. In context, a team that scores 4, 5, and 10 runs in a 3 game series should win 2 of 3, and being swept with that kind of output is unthinkable. But that's probably the wrong approach.

Bullpens are fickle, and the loss of the best closer in baseball for the year was huge. And the lack of quality starts/innings eaten by starters are impacting the overused bullpen.

I think one of the things that has hurt the Mets in the past (as well as the Islanders, and certainly the Knicks) is an overly reactive approach to what's wrong. In reality, the Mets approach was to sign older starters as a band-aid or stitches, and it hasn't worked. What's the solution? Probably trading players in their primes who have value, especially those who are replaceable.

Given what's wrong with the team (a lack of young quality arms), I hope they approach the situation analytically. In essence, I think that might mean moving on from McNeil, Alonso, and anyone else of that age rage or older, except Nimmo, who can bring back young arms in trades. Lindor is the big disappointment this year, but I think they're stuck with him, and have to hope he'll bounce back.

I think the hardest decision is going to be wrt Alonso. He's good, but he's going to hit free agency before the Mets can get pitching together. And a big bat at 1B is more replaceable than other lacks.

Mets have Parada in the pipeline too. One of Alvarez or Parada can play first. Alonso should get a decent return if traded.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

I agree with you on the current issues of the team. Especially the lefty bopper issue considering the lefty DH is a true negative currently.

And the bullpens are always a question mark, true.

But the reactive nature of signing two fantastic pitchers, albeit at the end of their careers, on short term deals is not as bad as we're now seeing it is. The plan was WS or bust in the short term while having Pete before his big deal, Marte on his short termer, Lindor in his prime, etc. There wasn't an alternative option so they had to sign those two. Senga was for sure a big gamble but he seems to be okay.

I agree with you that they will have to give to get with the guys in that 28-32 range. I think it would be a mistake to trade all of the "baby Mets" to get Ohtani. I understand filling two holes (Lefty DH AND #1 SP) but that goes along to your point with being super reactive. Maybe 1 or 2 or them but something like Alvarez, Vientos, Baty and Mauricio for Ohtani would be insanity. You will need some youth at some point.

Reactions: saintunspecified

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Mets have Parada in the pipeline too. One of Alvarez or Parada can play first. Alonso should get a decent return if traded.
Speaking as a catcher, Parada seems an awkward catcher from what I've seen of him in Brooklyn. I can see him at 1st or either corner outfield position.

imo Mauricio is the wildcard. I could see him play ANY position *except* catcher, and he's a switch hitter. I think the Mets really need to make room for him on the infield, presumably at 2nd base.

Mr. Misunderstood - I agree with you about the gamble on the pitchers. It only cost the Mets money. There's was no player development cost - the Mets aren't blocking any young arms. And I agree with you about Ohtani. I am great giving up anybody but Alvarez or Mauricio for Ohtani, but if I were LAA, I'd insist on Alvarez. IMO it's almost as much of a unicorn to have a player like Alvarez as it is to have a pitcher who can hit. It's really the next best thing. It makes 0 sense to trade a 21 yo next-best thing under club control.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Been a really good Braves/Mets series. Fun games all around.
Yeah i too like one sided games

They have no pitching prospects. Why should I believe they make up ground when their bullpen is also, equally as bad

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Did you watch the series? These games were hardly one sided. Yes, the Braves won the series, but the games were close and featured a ton of back and forth.
I did but it just felt like "oh boy how are the Mets gonna lose this one?"

Thats how its been this entire season. I just don't feel confident watching this squad.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
IMG_3883.png

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad