MLB 2023

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
At least we already have more than half our June wins so far in July, and its only the 5th. Series wins over the Giants and Dbacks too, both of whom have winning records.
As a mets fan for 40 years i have seen some real crap over the years. This years version may be the worst of it

This isn't even close. I was a kid in the mid 70s. From the time Mrs Payson died to the time we hired Frank Cashen we were doomed before the season even started. All there was to look forward to was Lee Mazzilli and when would Craig Swan get hurt.
It's been so bad that even John Harper, co author of the book The Worst Team Money Could Buy about the 1992 Mets, tweeted that not even they can compare to this current abomination.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At least we already have more than half our June wins so far in July, and its only the 5th. Series wins over the Giants and Dbacks too, both of whom have winning records.

It's been so bad that even John Harper, co author of the book The Worst Team Money Could Buy about the 1992 Mets, tweeted that not even they can compare to this current abomination.
It looks like the Mets are poised to go on a run that will be...... interrupted by the All Star Break.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
JV continues his strong July only allowing one run in 6 innings in the Subway series. Main difference between him and Max this season is JV hasn't been bitten by the long ball.

Hope Alvarez is ok after getting hit on the hands in the 9th.

Last edited:

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
It was pretty clear how this season was going to go when Diaz was lost for the year, jumping up and down, before the season even started.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I was looking at general league-wide stats, and was struck (lol) by the massive rise in hit by pitch rates in the last 7-8 years. Now each team sees a batter hit in 43% of games. In 2013 it was 32% of games. Back in the 80's that number was usually less than 20%. imo that's absolutely crazy. There are two possible solutions: (i) allow the players to police themselves, (ii) create a bigger penalty for hitting batters, while also not granting HPB's to players who don't try to get out of the way of pitches headed for armor.

As a catcher, I don't know when any particular HBP was intentional (easy to hide). But I absolutely do not believe that more than doubling the HBP rate in the last 30-40 years is not intentional. I assume it's because the fastball/slider combo has become the dominant mode of pitching during that time, which incentivizes throwing inside fastballs (especially tailing fastballs from RH pitchers to RH hitters, and same for lefties to lefties) to set up sliders/protect against inevitable mistakes with sliders. It's time to change those incentives.

Anyway, here:

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
At least he didn't shit the bed on the last game of the year against the Marlins with a playoff spot on the line.
I was at that game, and it really felt like fate. But Glavine definitely gave something to the Mets that Scherzer didn't: a lot of innings.

Anyway, that 2007 team was a lot better offensively than this team. (Wright was great that year, and Moises Alou was one of the most impressive hitters I'd ever seen as a Mets fan.) The starters on that 2007 team were painful to watch, sometimes. So many damn pitches, so few innings, so much strain on the bullpen.

Glad to see what the Mets are doing. Getting more athletic players into the system is the correct way to move forward. I expect that next year McNeil is going to resume an everyday at different positions role, with the Mets giving Mauricio a full time shot at 2nd base. But there are going to be more and more players knocking on the door. I've seen Parada a bunch, and a .500+ slugging percentage in Coney Island (bizarrely, he's struggled on the road) is difficult bc the sea breeze knock down balls in the outfield. I expect they'll be trying him at LF, and 1B as well as at Catcher in Binghamton next year. He's much less likely to stick at catcher imo than Alvarez.

And now the Mets have 3 shots at a legitimate CF'er between Williams (couple years out, but very advanced for his age), Acuna, and Ramirez. (I wouldn't bee too concerned about Ramirez's inconsistency - he's so young & spindly). They should be able to spend on pitching.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And now the Mets have 3 shots at a legitimate CF'er between Williams (couple years out, but very advanced for his age), Acuna, and Ramirez. (I wouldn't bee too concerned about Ramirez's inconsistency - he's so young & spindly). They should be able to spend on pitching.
Hopefully one of these kids has even an average arm. Tired of seeing runners have no fear of running on Nimmo.

Reactions: saintunspecified

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Can't tell you about anyone except for Ramirez, who has a very live arm.
I'm hoping one of them ends up in Brooklyn before the end of the season. I'd like to see them play this year. Looking for a good reason to go to a Cyclones game.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I assume it's because the fastball/slider combo has become the dominant mode of pitching during that time, which incentivizes throwing inside fastballs (especially tailing fastballs from RH pitchers to RH hitters, and same for lefties to lefties) to set up sliders/protect against inevitable mistakes with sliders. It's time to change those incentives.
I'm guessing it's because of the emphasis on power and spin. Pitchers just have less control. They're willing to accept the con of lower control because flames and movement bring better results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad