MLB 2023

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Well, this is what the fan base wanted. Big payroll doesn't always equal wins. 40-year-olds making 40 million, average lineup, garbage bullpen. Typical Mets just more expensive this time.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Well, this is what the fan base wanted. Big payroll doesn't always equal wins. 40-year-olds making 40 million, average lineup, garbage bullpen. Typical Mets just more expensive this time.
The funny part is even the alternative options they had are awful. deGrom out for 6-8 weeks again. Rodon is doing a Dead Lowrie impression. Bassitt stinks. Walker stinks. Correa looks useless.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The funny part is even the alternative options they had are awful. deGrom out for 6-8 weeks again. Rodon is doing a Dead Lowrie impression. Bassitt stinks. Walker stinks. Correa looks useless.

For all of the years blaming the ownership / GM for the misfortunes of this franchise, this year it is 100% on the players.

This is not a collection of bad players, they simply are not performing. 6-16 over the last 22 games is appalling from this roster.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
For all of the years blaming the ownership / GM for the misfortunes of this franchise, this year it is 100% on the players.

This is not a collection of bad players, they simply are not performing. 6-16 over the last 22 games is appalling from this roster.
I think Buck and Eppler are awful, but these players really are pathetic. Just completely unlikeable and underperforming.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I think a lot of this is a function of expectations. A couple of years ago, it was understood that The Mets had a bunch of very good position player prospects on the way up, but really no pitching in the system. Cohen wasn't patient, so he spend on older free agent pitchers to tide the team over.

I'm really not all that surprised that, from the point of view of pitching, the team is having a difficult time. And it's also hard to see blue-chip pitching talent in the minors. On the other hand, the Mets should have an absolute ton of high-end bats in the system. Mauricio looks like the real deal, Ramirez is way ahead of schedule, and they've got the two players they drafted last year who just get on base all the time. You can't judge a righty power hitter's power numbers in Brooklyn. Consuegra has a an absolute TON of power, but any ball with loft gets knocked down by the sea breeze. Last summer I saw him hit a double that I am 100% certain would be long gone nearly everywhere.

Last edited:

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Series win against the team with the best record! Last night's game was definitely my favorite game so far in this young season, and winning the series this afternoon was a good encore. Hopefully this gives us a spark going forward, and we take advantage of these 3 straight light series, unlike us blowing our easy schedule early this month.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
What a magical last 3 days! Unbelievable comeback tonight with Polar Pete staying hot with a game tying grand slam, and the rookies continue to provide a spark to our lineup.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Gary Sanchez experiment didn’t last long
I don't think there's any going back from Alvarez as a primary starting C, so his value would only be as a DH. Nido is a perfect backup C. I would love to see Alvarez & Nido split catching starts & have Alvarez DH on other days (don't care about platoon). But the Mets can't do that w/o carrying a third catcher, and Sanchez doesn't fit that role.

The Mets have gotten very little from their corner outfielders & DH. That's their problem, and they had this problem going in. And they've gotten very little (so far) out of Scherzer & Verlander. They've made it to .500 on the basis of Alonso, McNeil, and a very competent (despite not having Diaz) bullpen.

They could rapidly improve based on (i) Alvarez & Baty become increasingly accustomed to MLB pitching, (ii) Marte & Lindor start hitting like they are capable - a Lindor hot streak is bound to happen, (iii) they do something to solve LF/DH, and (iv) they get much more from Scherzer/Verlander. Still, it seems unlikely to me for enough to go right to make the playoffs. But I also wouldn't be surprised if enough did go right.

Personally, I think Vientos' swing is too easy to exploit given MLB scouting & pitcher's ability to locate. Too long, too much of an uppercut, which is forgivable in a LH bat, but not from the right. I think he's a specialty bat based on what I've seen. I have bigger hopes for Mauricio. He has problem with chasing, but his batspeed/flexibility gives him a much better chance to adjust to good pitching. The Mets best chance to fix their offense might be to stick him at 2B, send McNeil to LF, and dump someone. My guess is that they'll wait for an injury to try it.

Last edited:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I don't think there's any going back from Alvarez as a primary starting C, so his value would only be as a DH. Nido is a perfect backup C. I would love to see Alvarez & Nido split catching starts & have Alvarez DH on other days (don't care about platoon). But the Mets can't do that w/o carrying a third catcher, and Sanchez doesn't fit that role.

The Mets have gotten very little from their corner outfielders & DH. That's their problem, and they had this problem going in. And they've gotten very little (so far) out of Scherzer & Verlander. They've made it to .500 on the basis of Alonso, McNeil, and a very competent (despite not having Diaz) bullpen.

They could rapidly improve based on (i) Alvarez & Baty become increasingly accustomed to MLB pitching, (ii) Marte & Lindor start hitting like they are capable - a Lindor hot streak is bound to happen, (iii) they do something to solve LF/DH, and (iv) they get much more from Scherzer/Verlander. Still, it seems unlikely to me for enough to go right to make the playoffs. But I also wouldn't be surprised if enough did go right.

Personally, I think Vientos' swing is too easy to exploit given MLB scouting & pitcher's ability to locate. Too long, too much of an uppercut, which is forgivable in a LH bat, but not from the right. I think he's a specialty bat based on what I've seen. I have bigger hopes for Mauricio. He has problem with chasing, but his batspeed/flexibility gives him a much better chance to adjust to good pitching. The Mets best chance to fix their offense might be to stick him at 2B, send McNeil to LF, and dump someone. My guess is that they'll wait for an injury to try it.
Excellent summary. I agree with most of what you said. I still suspect they are one starter short although Carasco pitched well yesterday

Reactions: saintunspecified

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
BF65292B-5AF9-47AA-87C4-F533917C339C.jpeg

Thoughts and prayers.

Reactions: saintunspecified

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Watching the Mets this year is like pulling teeth. Baseball sucks again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad