OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The Mets have exactly one reliable bullpen pitcher (and I don't mean Edwin Rojas). They have zero real OF'ers beyond the starters, zero SP depth and are still behind several teams and under .500. If they want to delude themselves vaya con dios but they haven't even tried to get retreads for the pen let alone actually making a move. If you have no budget to make a needed move than it makes no sense to stand pat with a limited team.

Maybe they're looking to catch lightning in a bottle like they did in 2015

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Who we talking here? Frazier?

Yeah, I just don’t get what they think they’re accomplishing by being vindictive and keeping him in the minors forever. He clearly can hit at the big league level.

Maybe they're looking to catch lightning in a bottle like they did in 2015

This isn’t like 2015, they were never double digit games under .500, this is more like the deadlines where they traded for Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano when they were at best on the periphery, they want ‘meaningful baseball’ in September lol

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, I just don’t get what they think they’re accomplishing by being vindictive and keeping him in the minors forever. He clearly can hit at the big league level.

This isn’t like 2015, they were never double digit games under .500, this is more like the deadlines where they traded for Kris Benson and Victor Zambrano when they were at best on the periphery, they want ‘meaningful baseball’ in September lol
1)Oh I thought you were talking Todd Frazier, at which I was confused about the "ruin his career" remark. As per Clint? I dunno, maybe his value is down because of his fielding? Yanks would rather hold him then trade low.

2)Without know who was being offered I can't criticize the Met's. Would I take a meh prospect for Wheeler? Probably not, might be best to hold him, see if you can sign him then make a trade with someone else. I mean they got nothing for Vargas, I'd rather just have kept him as well and stuck him in the bullpen(though I'm sure he would have loved that). So I don't advocate making a bad trade just because that's what bad teams should do at the deadline.

And let's be real, 5 games out is not impossible, meaningful games in September is not a laughable possibility at this point.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Yankees are built to win big in the regular season and then get beaten out after the 1st round by one of the teams with 2 really good/dominant starters.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I haven't watched an inning of baseball this season, but 4.5 games back of the WC with 55 left to play, having gone 8-2 recently, and having some of the best starting pitching in baseball doesn't strike me as the worst position to be in even though the bullpen is a joke.

But it's the Mets, so come September it's almost always a bad position.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I haven't watched an inning of baseball this season, but 4.5 games back of the WC with 55 left to play, having gone 8-2 recently, and having some of the best starting pitching in baseball doesn't strike me as the worst position to be in even though the bullpen is a joke.

But it's the Mets, so come September it's almost always a bad position.

They've had to win eight of nine just to get back to three games under .500 and their fools' gold schedule only lasts about another week before they get back to playing real teams again. They literally can't afford another bad week-ten days and we know this bullpen (especially Diaz) is good for several more blown games.

1)Oh I thought you were talking Todd Frazier, at which I was confused about the "ruin his career" remark. As per Clint? I dunno, maybe his value is down because of his fielding? Yanks would rather hold him then trade low.

2)Without know who was being offered I can't criticize the Met's. Would I take a meh prospect for Wheeler? Probably not, might be best to hold him, see if you can sign him then make a trade with someone else. I mean they got nothing for Vargas, I'd rather just have kept him as well and stuck him in the bullpen(though I'm sure he would have loved that). So I don't advocate making a bad trade just because that's what bad teams should do at the deadline.

And let's be real, 5 games out is not impossible, meaningful games in September is not a laughable possibility at this point.

If Clint's value is going to be low now after he actually proved he could hit in the majors this year, how is staying in the minors going to help it?

With the Mets, it's more that they played it halfway that makes it puzzling - or at least it would be puzzling if it weren't the Mets. If you're going to hold onto Wheeler, Todd Frazier, etc then actually add some darn bullpen help. I don't mind the fans wanting meaningful baseball in August, I mind when ownership ascribes it as the ultimate goal :P

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They've had to win eight of nine just to get back to three games under .500 and their fools' gold schedule only lasts about another week before they get back to playing real teams again. They literally can't afford another bad week-ten days and we know this bullpen (especially Diaz) is good for several more blown games.

If Clint's value is going to be low now after he actually proved he could hit in the majors this year, how is staying in the minors going to help it?

It's more that they played it halfway that makes it puzzling. If you're going to hold onto Wheeler, Todd Frazier, etc then actually add some darn bullpen help.
You can only play the teams that are on the schedule, they've won 7 in row. They don't need to win at that high of a rate to make up the 4 game gap they are currently looking at.

Could they have gone and gotten some bullpen help? They could have, but they made that big deal for Diaz and signed Familia to a 3 year deal, so I think they are hoping those guys can turn it around and become the de facto bull pen additions. Just one game but Familia threw a clean 9th inning today.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Sure, the Mets trading for Stroman was stupid, but you can’t put a price on spite. I doubt that’s why they traded for them- I’d be more inclined to think that the Wilpons actually think they have a shot, which is laughable- but it certainly has that side effect of screwing over the Yankees.

Meanwhile the AL seems as good as done, huh? Yankees got some pitcher from the Rockies who probably sucks, the Red Sox did nothing, and the Rays and Indians are throwing in the towel. The only major contender that got better were the Astros and they look damn near unstoppable now. I guess the A’s made big improvements too, but they’ll probably have to play in the Wild Card game, then likely face the Astros.

I’ve been saying that the Yankees should fire Larry Rothschild for a couple of years, and this season’s dismal performance combined with Sonny Gray suddenly finding his old form in Cincinnati (another odd destination for a big-name deadline pitcher) has done nothing to make me think otherwise. Bring in Andy Pettite. Not only is he a Core Four guy that the fans will love, he helped Sabathia a few years ago in transitioning from being a speed pitcher.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Cano getting hurt could be a blessing for the Mets.
Pardon my ignorance, but why? His statline doesn't look tragic. Is his D that poor or is the call up that promising?

I'm damn close to actually starting to watch these games. Help a brother believe.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Well, now they're 1 game over and 2.5 back with 69 left to play in a division without a clear cut powerhouse from what I can tell.

It seems like the next 10 days could make or break them.

Is Cano going down that bad for them?

2015 also didn't have this deGrom or this Thor.

Please talk me out of wasting time tuning in. Again. Thanks.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Pardon my ignorance, but why? His statline doesn't look tragic. Is his D that poor or is the call up that promising?

I'm damn close to actually starting to watch these games. Help a brother believe.

Doesn't look tragic? The dude has 32 RBI's in 325 AB's despite hitting in the middle of the order for most of the season and a sub-.300 OBP. If he was some part-time player being thurst into a starting role that'd be one thing, he's making $25 million a year and was expected to be a middle of the order run producer. It's tragic production given the expectations, it would be like Taylor Hall having a 25 to 30-point season without a real long-term injury through 55-60 games his first year here.

And yes you never want to make light of a guy's injury but playing McNeil at 2B instead of outfield would help, being able to play JD Davis (.300-12-35 in 263 AB's) everyday would also help even if he's also a converted IF. Even Todd Frazier's hit better than Cano this year.

Please talk me out of wasting time tuning in. Again. Thanks.

If this continues through next week you should watch lol...but their little sisters of the poor schedule ends after a couple days, we'll see what happens when they start playing real teams again. Not to mention eventually they have to cool off, unless we're in the midst of a Florida Panther-like stretch circa last year.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I am a Red Sox fan but holy crap what the Mets are doing is awesome and a lot of fun to watch. Tonight's game was great.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
What the hell is happening in Queens right now? This is unreal.
I was playing guitar and drinking beer, watching but thinking, we are still down 3, almost not realizing the tying run was at the plate. After the homer I put the guitar down.

That win was bonkers.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Looks like, barring injury, Pete Alonso is going to smash the Mets single season HR record.
As well as the NL rookie HR record.

Gotta give credit where credit is due, good move by bvw to play him from the start.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
If you didn't believe before you'd better jump on the bandwagon NOW.
My man. Just got back to Bay Head and was going to post something along these lines to you.

Ran in to a Mets fan decked out in gear on the train back here from Asbury who was elated. He had just come from the game and gave me the full play by play of the 9th. Dude said it was the most raucous regular season crowd he's seen at citi in a looooooong time.

Here's to Frazier and Conforto!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad