OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Dear God, these player’s weekend uniforms are dreadful. You can’t see a damn thing on them. MLB’s biggest problem isn’t the length of games, it’s marketing, and it’s clear that they have no idea how to do it well.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
sorry guys, but huge win from my boys on the road tonight vs the mets…….i feel this is a make or break series for the 2nd wild card…..

(and darvish got the decision?!……thats f***ed as he's been nothing special as his time as a cub)

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Dear God, these player’s weekend uniforms are dreadful. You can’t see a damn thing on them. MLB’s biggest problem isn’t the length of games, it’s marketing, and it’s clear that they have no idea how to do it well.

MLB's problem is multifaceted.

First, it's the array of entertainment choices. When I was a kid, we had 7 channels: 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13. I would watch the Mets when they were on channel 9 on the weekends because there wasn't ANYTHING else to watch. Kids now-a-days have 200 cable channels, a dozen streaming services, as well as an array of smart phone choices.

Second is economic. Minor league baseball is killing it. Even independent leagues are doing well. People still love baseball, but it's too damn expensive to go to a MLB game. MLB also doesn't seem to care to try to get a young family of four to the game. I'm not paying $20 to park, $30/ticket, $30 for concessions, and spend 2+ hours in the car to go to the game. Baseball has to get young people to the park. When the Devils sucked, college nights got butts in the seats and now those kids have jobs and can afford regular priced tickets. Cord cutting is going to affect baseball as well. There are times where I don't want to indirectly fund the MLB, NBA, and NFL because I want to watch cable TV.

Third, is that MLB is a tribal game like the NHL. But how many teams truly have a chance at winning the the World Series? Five, maybe six? In the NBA, it's about the same but the superstars are bigger than the teams. Anytime I turn on the hot stove, it's all about who the Yankees are going to overpay from Cleveland or the A's because those teams can't/won't pay their players. As a Mets fan, as long as the Wilpons own the team, they'll find a way to f*** it up.

Fourth, the games are too long. I used to get annoyed watching David Wright or Derek Jeter have to go through a 14 point routine after every pitch. I got annoyed when there was a meeting or two on the mound every inning. As more teams use more pitchers in a game, we have to wait for each of them to jog in from the bullpen then take 10 warmup pitches. Aren't pitchers supposed to be warming up in the bullpen? Why do they need more warmup pitches when they get to the mound?

Lastly, I know chicks dig the longball, but I love smallball. I like stolen bases, I like hit and run, I like the double switch. The strategy is exciting. When the Mets lost to the Royals in 2015, I admit that it was fun to watch Kansas City and tipped my cap. I just feel that players don't adjust. Nobody standing within 30 yards of 3rd base because of a shift? Take advantage? Nope, can't tap the ball for a double because he has to hit the ball as hard as he can. So you have more home runs but also more strikeouts.

Blaming Mike Trout for being boring is not the problem. Why does Mike Trout have to have his face plastered all over the place? Why does Mike Trout have to have a presence on SoCiAl MeDiA?

Shortening the games by preventing the batter from leaving the batter's box and preventing relief pitchers from taking 15 warmup pitches when they get to the mound are probably the two best thing they can do to speed up the game. Put in a cap floor to prevent teams from putting a minor league roster on the field. Other and cheaper entertainment choices aren't going away. Make the game accessible to the average schmo with 2 kids. Lower the damn ticket prices.

As an aside, I get pissed when teams clearly fleece me as a taxpayer to build their own playground. The Braves just skinned Cobb county and the Marlins bent Miami over for stadiums. I'm not supporting you any more than I have to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrik26

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
cubs sweep a road series?! madness…heating up at the right time…….

now to give the brew crew their due and burn their post season aspirations right to the ground….welcome to wrigley

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
And tonight puts a stake through the heart of the Mets' season.

It's not quite the collapse of 2007, but it's pretty epic.

Reactions: NJDevs26

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
MLB's problem is multifaceted.
o.
Pretty great rant. I brought up your small ball point to a friend the other day.

Truth is, baseball that is just Ks and homers suits TV, where you can see the pitching chess match. Going to a game is like to see ground balls, double plays, diving stops, great outfield catches and throws. They would do well to bring back the old sawdust balls and get more balls in play between the lines

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Lastly, I know chicks dig the longball, but I love smallball. I like stolen bases, I like hit and run, I like the double switch. The strategy is exciting. When the Mets lost to the Royals in 2015, I admit that it was fun to watch Kansas City and tipped my cap. I just feel that players don't adjust. Nobody standing within 30 yards of 3rd base because of a shift? Take advantage? Nope, can't tap the ball for a double because he has to hit the ball as hard as he can. So you have more home runs but also more strikeouts.

Oh yeah, totally. An incredibly difficult task that a few elite athletes have been able to master by honing a specific type of swing over the course of a decade or two. I’m sure completely reinventing their hitting technique won’t cause any problems.

Blaming Mike Trout for being boring is not the problem. Why does Mike Trout have to have his face plastered all over the place? Why does Mike Trout have to have a presence on SoCiAl MeDiA?

I think it’s incredibly funny that one of the greatest players of all time is playing out his career in total obscurity. Mike who? Oh yeah! That guy...

As an aside, I get pissed when teams clearly fleece me as a taxpayer to build their own playground. The Braves just skinned Cobb county and the Marlins bent Miami over for stadiums. I'm not supporting you any more than I have to.

Now on this one I agree 100%.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
And tonight puts a stake through the heart of the Mets' season.

It's not quite the collapse of 2007, but it's pretty epic.

Diaz makes Armando Benitez look like Rivera. At least he waited until September to start blowing games. Diaz is the nightmare that never ends. But best closer in baseball in 2018! Pfft

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
The Mets have blown 25 saves this year. What a complete joke. f*** this team and their shit bullpen

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I’m a Yankees fan but I will forever respect Mets fans for not only putting up with this horrendous organization, but having a sense of humor about it. What can you do about last night’s game but laugh? It’s the Metsiest game I’ve ever seen.

Thankfully I didn’t suffer through it in real time as I’ve pretty much put the Mets on the back burner since the home losing streak but I did get the update at 10-4 with Alonso hitting the HR, getting the MVP chants as the Mets broke the game open in the ninth so I figured the game was over. When I heard how the game did end I could only laugh and roll my eyes.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
Thankfully I didn’t suffer through it in real time as I’ve pretty much put the Mets on the back burner since the home losing streak but I did get the update at 10-4 with Alonso hitting the HR, getting the MVP chants as the Mets broke the game open in the ninth so I figured the game was over. When I heard how the game did end I could only laugh and roll my eyes.
Same here, I saw it was 10-4 and a couple hours later, my friend who’s a Mets fan told me it ended as a loss for them.

Also very strange: the Syracuse Mets lost their playoff game against SWB in a similar fashion. They actually did one worse: they scored 7 runs at the top of the 8th and gave up 8 in the bottom.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I’m a Yankees fan but I will forever respect Mets fans for not only putting up with this horrendous organization, but having a sense of humor about it. What can you do about last night’s game but laugh? It’s the Metsiest game I’ve ever seen.

Bobby V’s fake mustache remains the Metsiest thing I have ever seen.

A blown 6 run lead is something special though.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Bobby V’s fake mustache remains the Metsiest thing I have ever seen.

A blown 6 run lead is something special though.

Agree on Bobby V's mustache. Didn't the Mets have an absolutely epic late season collapse around 10 years ago? I feel like they went through something so brutal I couldn't even tease my Met fan friends about it but I honestly can't remember anymore because I just don't devote that much memory to old Mets seasons.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Agree on Bobby V's mustache. Didn't the Mets have an absolutely epic late season collapse around 10 years ago? I feel like they went through something so brutal I couldn't even tease my Met fan friends about it but I honestly can't remember anymore because I just don't devote that much memory to old Mets seasons.

Yes the 07 collapse was so ridiculously bad.

Had a 7 game lead with 17 games to go and lost 12 of them to miss the playoffs

Then in 08 they collapsed again and blew a 3.5 game lead with only a few weeks left. Phillies took the division and won the world series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad