Mitchell Marner vs Sebastian Aho

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You kep pointing out Aho has more goals but then pull the "Similar Scoring rate". No, Marner has been better this year AND last year! At what point does Aho have to at least be better once to be considered better? The standard seems much higher for Mitch.

a) Aho has scored more goals,
b)they are scoring points at a similar level,
c)you've failed to prove how Marner has been better this year.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
I don't know what to say if you don't get it.

And again the stats show Aho is the better goal scorer scoring at similar rate to Marner, but you somehow read it as Marner clearly outproducing Aho.

Aho may be the better scorer. Maybe. But as everyone knows, Marner had a terrible start to the season, but has been on fire since.

I don't see enough of Aho to know if he's better or not. And there is something to be said for Marner probably not playing against the top defensive pairings and forwards when Matthews is healthy. But to just pull a stat line and say that Aho scored more so he's the better scorer, isn't necessarily a fact.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Aho may be the better scorer. Maybe. But as everyone knows, Marner had a terrible start to the season, but has been on fire since.

I don't see enough of Aho to know if he's better or not. And there is something to be said for Marner probably not playing against the top defensive pairings and forwards when Matthews is healthy. But to just pull a stat line and say that Aho scored more so he's the better scorer, isn't necessarily a fact.

Aho had a weak start at well.

To me these are 2 similar players, where you can't say which one is clearly the better player today. But somehow, not so surprisingly the AINEC needs to be brought in.

Aho has outscored (in goals) Marner in both years, and they are in points having similar years yet the stats can be brought for Marner and say clearly outproducing Aho?

Reactions: DaveG

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I take issue with the idea goals are so much more important. Marner's passing has been insane the past few weeks. He's putting the puck right on linmates' sticks infront of the net. Essentially we are going to give Kadri or Marleau more credit because they scored? Not the way I see it at all.
Marner is doing things right now Aho has never done. Marner has an 11 game scoring streak and is PPG once he finally got proper usage (Still much less than Aho).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Aho had a weak start at well.

To me these are 2 similar players, where you can't say which one is clearly the better player today. But somehow, not so surprisingly the AINEC needs to be brought in.

Aho has outscored (in goals) Marner in both years, and they are in points having similar years yet the stats can be brought for Marner and say clearly outproducing Aho?

Marner is clearly the better player. They both entered the league in the same year and Marner has outproduced him in both years despite less ice time. Aho needs to have at least a single year in which he is better than Marner to actually be considered similar.

A difference in .12 PPG is no small difference. Aho is good, Marner is better.

In what world is 130 points in 155 games similar to 113 points in 156 games? That’s the difference between a ~60 point player and a ~70 point player over the course of an entire season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Marner is clearly the better player. They both entered the league in the same year and Marner has outproduced him in both years despite less ice time. Aho needs to have at least a single year in which he is better than Marner to actually be considered similar.

A difference in .12 PPG is no small difference. Aho is good, Marner is better.

Aho has 6 more goals in 4 less games, Marner has 5 more points in 4 more games, clearly Marner is the better player, clearly oh my.

I hope this thread kills the arguments for Toronto having one of the best F groups in the league.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Aho has 6 more goals in 4 less games, Marner has 5 more points in 4 more games, clearly Marner is the better player, clearly oh my.

I hope this thread kills the arguments for Toronto having one of the best F groups in the league
Why?
Aho has played a lot more in his career thus far than Marner. And Leaf fans have watch Mitch all year and know his usage and who he was playing with. He is on a 105 point pace since he was given more usage-which is still worse than Aho's TOI.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I hope this thread kills the arguments for Toronto having one of the best F groups in the league.

How convenient of you to ignore the rest of my comment. Please don’t say they have similar stats when they do not have similar stats. It’s very dishonest.

Aho needs to have a better year than Marner to actually be considered better. A difference of .12 in career PPG is big, especially considering they entered the league at the same time.

BTW, the Leafs do have one of the best forward group in the entire league. It’s not up for debate. 10 players above 40 points by the end of the season, 3 31+ goal scorers all playing on different lines.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
How convenient of you to ignore the rest of my comment. Please don’t say they have similar stats when they do not have similar stats. It’s very dishonest.

Aho needs to have a better year than Marner to actually be considered better. A difference of .12 in career PPG is big, especially considering they entered the league at the same time.

Yeah, the stats show again that Aho is the better goal scorer and scoring similar points to Marner this year, but nooooo Marner AINEC.
I haven't said Aho should be looked as better than Marner, but takes a pretty strong bias to say Marner is clearly the better player today.

Why?
Aho has played a lot more in his career thus far than Marner. And Leaf fans have watch Mitch all year and know his usage and who he was playing with. He is on a 105 point pace since he was given more usage-which is still worse than Aho's TOI.

When you have one of the best F groups in the league an opposing team can't focus on just 1 player, when you have a guy like Matthews on your roster an opposing team can't put all their efforts on Marner.

Aho has nobody taking that kind of pressure away from him.

Reactions: Tryamw

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'll take Marner pretty comfortably if I get to choose one, feels like he's settled in to being a PPG+ player now

taking nothing away from Aho, he's a terrific player. Carolina got him in a range that you don't really expect to draft impact players too, where Marner was taken with a pick that you're disappointed if you don't get an impact player

Reactions: remote

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'll take Marner pretty comfortably if I get to choose one, feels like he's settled in to being a PPG+ player now

taking nothing away from Aho, he's a terrific player. Carolina got him in a range that you don't really expect to draft impact players too, where Marner was taken with a pick that you're disappointed if you don't get an impact player

Usually you need to be one to be called one.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'd take either player, but if you want to use stats to back up an opinion, I value goals above assists. And I don't put near as much weight on secondary assists as primary assists. Sure, sometimes a secondary assist makes the play, but I'd wager that more often than that, secondary assists add much less value to the eventual score than the primary assist, let alone the goal itself.

This season (not counting tonight's games):

GamesGoalsA1A2PointsPrimary
Points/60
Aho 73 2724 12 63 51 2.35
Marner 77 2116 28 65 47 2.24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To me, Aho's stat line is better than Marner's this year. Significantly more goals, and Marner's points are inflated by a lot of secondary assists.

Since people keep blindly referencing ppg as the basis of their argument I feel like I should repeat this post. I recognize that people value different stats differently, and I don't have a problem with anyone's opinion that Marner is better. But the AINEC declarations (on either side) scream "HOMER" to me.

These are two exciting young players that are going to be very good for a very long time. Given the way this thread has turned out, I think a good alternative title would be "How Many Angels Can Dance on the Head of a Pin?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Marner is on a 105 point pace since he got more usage and better linemates and we are still debating this? Marner was having the better career BEFORE he became the hottest player in the NHL.
Aho does not have to even be equal to Marner for 1 season to be considered as good or better. Unbelievable.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
mitch marner is one hit away from being a bookshelf for ther est of his life so its definitely aho aincec
A bookshelf? couldn't you come up with something better? maybe a child's clothing store mannequin or you must be this tall to ride sign guy lol

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Marner is on a 105 point pace since he got more usage and better linemates and we are still debating this? Marner was having the better career BEFORE he became the hottest player in the NHL.
Aho does not have to even be equal to Marner for 1 season to be considered as good or better. Unbelievable.
ROFL!!!! Hottest would be Mackinnon..

Only thing unbelievable here is you.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
ROFL!!!! Hottest would be Mackinnon..

Only thing unbelievable here is you.

Marner has a 11 game point streak. Almost double any other current NHl player. Mackinnon has cooled off significantly, as has his team.
45 goal, 105 point pace the second he gets a little more usage and better linemates.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

So the Leafs are a 100 point plus team because of their superb blueline corps?

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Canes called up Warren Foegele the other day and he scored at a 123 point pace since he got more usage and better linemates. Ipso facto Foegele > Marner AINEC. :wg:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Marner has a 11 game point streak. Almost double any other current NHl player. Mackinnon has cooled off significantly, as has his team.
45 goal, 105 point pace the second he gets a little more usage and better linemates.
I'm sorry, it still doesnt make him anywhere hottest.. only in your biased mind, is Marner somehow hotter than a player with 38g 55a 93pts in 70games.. Edit: Mackinnons pace is 44,5goals 109points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad