Mitchell Marner vs Sebastian Aho

Your choice?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
To sole purpose to separate biased votes from the more objective ones? It'll never be perfect, but what in the world is?

That's quite well indeed.

Then I'm sure we'll get to see who had it more accurate in the coming years. The first ones usually serve the purpose to indicate what can happen in the future (how well and how fast a player fits in, to what role and then some). Perhaps your vote is more right than mine or perhaps it isn't. I suppose we will see in the next 3-5 years the latest. Scoring points isn't everything, I for one think Aho will have the brighter future ahead than f.ex. Rantanen who already is flying PPG+ and these guys are from the same draft and I'm a fan of Mikko as well. Exciting times no matter how things pan out.
yes I understand you think all the Finns have the brightest future. of course you do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He’s taken the occasional shift there this season, but not for a full game or anything. He seemed comfortable enough in the role though, so we’ll see.
He's a great player. One that has constantly surprised me with each hurdle cleared. It would not surprise me if Aho adds to his value here by being able to play Center as well as wing if the Canes see him as more value doing both.

I do like him more than Marner here due to the versatility factor he has. Especially if both are similar producers down the line.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I honestly think these guys are pretty much equal. I like Aho more because of the goal scoring, but both are great. Comparing them is splitting hairs.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Aho is literally carrying the Hurricanes, Marner is behind the HUGE shadow of Matthews in a rather comfortably role. Aho is way, way better AINEC.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I needed that laugh. AINEC lmao. Aho can't carry mitchies jock. AINEC he says lmfao at you

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Because it is close? regardless of who you choose i dont see how one can say AINEC

Because it's not close:

PPG last year: Marner .8 Aho .6
PPG this year: Marner .89 Aho .86

Their ice time was the same last year and this year Aho plays a minute more and gets 30 seconds more powerplay ice time and Marner STILL outproduces him.

So even if you said this year was the exact same because Aho has a few more goals in a few less games and their production is "close enough," you still have to weigh 50% of the sample and in that 50% obviously .8>>>.6.

Then when you factor in junior domination and all Marner's accolades it gets to the AINEC for the totality of their teen-current careers.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Because it's not close:

PPG last year: Marner .8 Aho .6
PPG this year: Marner .89 Aho .86

Their ice time was the same last year and this year Aho plays a minute more and gets 30 seconds more powerplay ice time and Marner STILL outproduces him.

So even if you said this year was the exact same because Aho has a few more goals in a few less games and their production is "close enough," you still have to weigh 50% of the sample and in that 50% obviously .8>>>.6.

Then when you factor in junior domination and all Marner's accolades it gets to the AINEC for the totality of their teen-current careers.
Typical Leafs stat watcher going on again..

All that text about PPG, without context..

Everytime the Leafs fans forget to mention, that the other player played in much worser team. (Rantanen, Eichel being the most clear ones)

What's funny is that, i just remembered the same people telling us that Matthews played in worser team in -16 WJC and or WHC than Laine.

Ps: Aho have been PPG against men, Marner havent ;)

Reactions: BorntoLose

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'd take either player, but if you want to use stats to back up an opinion, I value goals above assists. And I don't put near as much weight on secondary assists as primary assists. Sure, sometimes a secondary assist makes the play, but I'd wager that more often than that, secondary assists add much less value to the eventual score than the primary assist, let alone the goal itself.

This season (not counting tonight's games):

GamesGoalsA1A2PointsPrimary
Points/60
Aho 73 2724 12 63 51 2.35
Marner 77 2116 28 65 47 2.24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To me, Aho's stat line is better than Marner's this year. Significantly more goals, and Marner's points are inflated by a lot of secondary assists.

Last edited:

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
I'd take either player, but if you want to use stats to back up an opinion, I value goals above assists. And I don't put near as much weight on secondary assists as primary assists. Sure, sometimes a secondary assist makes the play, but I'd wager that more often than that, secondary assists add much less value to the eventual score than the primary assist, let alone the goal itself.

Points/60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
To me, Aho's stat line is better than Marner's this year. Significantly more goals, and Marner's points are inflated by a lot of secondary assists.
Primary vs secondary assist don’t necessarily tell the whole story either considering it doesn’t paint the picture of who truly drives the play (just watch McDavid then try and convince me he isn’t the main facilitator, even on secondary assist)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Primary vs secondary assist don’t necessarily tell the whole story either considering it doesn’t paint the picture of who truly drives the play (just watch McDavid then try and convince me he isn’t the main facilitator, even on secondary assist)

Agree. and I alluded to such in my post. But in general, if we're limited to points vs. primary points, when it comes to assessing value, I'll take primary points. Others can disagree.

Reactions: Tryamw

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Points/60
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Leafs fans also value goals more and secondary assists less, atleast when it supports their narrative that Matthews is on McDavids level. But I guess that doesn't hold true when comparing Aho to Marner LoL. Most biased fan base around.

Reactions: heksagon

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Typical Leafs stat watcher going on again..

All that text about PPG, without context..

Everytime the Leafs fans forget to mention, that the other player played in much worser team. (Rantanen, Eichel being the most clear ones)

What's funny is that, i just remembered the same people telling us that Matthews played in worser team in -16 WJC and or WHC than Laine.

Ps: Aho have been PPG against men, Marner havent ;)

Sorry Carolina is trash? I guess playing more time and getting more PP time doesn't make up for it???

Ps: Marner got 60 points in his first year playing v men, sorry it took Aho to his 2nd year.

Reactions: Pi

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Leafs fans also value goals more and secondary assists less, atleast when it supports their narrative that Matthews is on McDavids level. But I guess that doesn't hold true when comparing Aho to Marner LoL. Most biased fan base around.

You do realize that by now not agreeing that Marner>Aho for the same reasons you just mentioned, that you are being just as hypocritical, or 'biased', as that fan base you love to mock so much.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
You do realize that by now not agreeing that Marner>Aho for the same reasons you just mentioned, that you are being just as hypocritical, or 'biased', as that fan base you love to mock so much.

His point is really bad too, I've never heard any substantial number of Leafs fans say Matthews>Crosby/McDavid because of goals.

I have heard Leafs fans bring up the importance of goals when measuring Matthews v McDavid in the sense that Matthews scores A LOT more or at least he had prior to this year, so there is value that should be taken into consideration.

Aho scored 5 more goals last year and will likely end up with a pace of 7-8 more this year, except he receives more TOI and more PP time, so it's hardly some purely analogous comparison.

The reality is that Mitchs last year>Ahos last year and even if you say they were the same this year because Aho scored more goals, Mitch showed WAY higher potential ceiling putting up 47 points in the last 42 games or a 92 point pace for half the year. Aho's best streak was 37 points in 35 games which is still very good, but not as sustained or as high tier as 47 in 42.

Who knows maybe Aho ends up on top somehow, but there is nothing that indicates he will, he has not once done anything to set himself apart from Mitch apart from scoring a bit more while getting outproduced points wise.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Yes the most populated fanbase around all hold the same opinions. If you've seen one Leafs fan post you've seen them all. Top notch.

Reactions: Pi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->