Injury Report: Mitchell Marner ankle injury (will miss at least 4 weeks)

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
He (tavares) already scored yesterday without marner. And assisted on some too. Tavvy don't need nodody. He the best like khaled.

Both of Tavares's points came on the powerplay, not 5v5.

It's great he's producing on the powerplay, because we need it. But we also need his line to produce at 5v5, where majority of the game is played (and not rely on the powerplay to score).

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Why not give Bracco a shot? Seems like the perfect opportunity.

Johnsson/Matthews/Nylander
Micheyev/Tavares/Bracco
Hyman/Kerfoot/Kapanen

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Marner plays in all situations. He excels in all situations. Leafs are about to go on a big slide without #93. Other than JT, Mitch is the most complete player on the team. It is not close.

Matthews is lethal and it takes only one shot for him to impact the game, but Mitch does it for 200 feet, in all situations. People like to rip on Marner, but he is the engine of this club.

Reactions: notdoneyet

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

Marner plays in all situations. He excels in all situations. Leafs are about to go on a big slide without #93. Other than JT, Mitch is the most complete player on the team. It is not close.

Matthews is lethal and it takes only one shot for him to impact the game, but Mitch does it for 200 feet, in all situations. People like to rip on Marner, but he is the engine of this club.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Worst contract in NHL history?

The Oilers turned Lucic into Neal. And neither is making $11M.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017

The Leafs can turn Marner into multiple firsts. There would be teams in a bidding war to get Mitch and his “worst contract in NHL history”.

As bad of a GM as Dubas is, I don’t even think he is dumb enough to trade Marner

Reactions: NoName

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I'm being facetious here but hope we lose enough games to finish out of the playoffs and get a lottery pick (move up like Philly did 14th to 2nd). We can save our 1st if lottery protected otherwise we get zero for what is shaping up to be a write off year.
I think most here agree this is no a contender even when fully healthy. Team defense is OHL bad, seriously terrible.

And yet, Dubas, thought we will be so offensive we will mask our defensive deficiencies. Offensive is right in terms of our defence and the way we play in the defensive zone. Some/most teams seemingly cycle at will in our end, while we cannot do the same for any extended period of time in the offensive zone.
I’m wondering if it’s the players (particularly our forwards) that allow teams to be so effective at the cycle in our own end?
I do agree that we need more grit on this team, but not at the expense of those players being useless on offence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Meh, not worried. He has 10 million dollars per annum he can afford rehab, greedy bum.

Marner has been my favourite Leaf since he came into the league. Was extremely pleased when we drafted him. But it’s so glaringly obvious that he, along with Nylander and Matthews, care more about the money than a true Cup contending team.
As much as I hate the Bruins, it’s plain to see that the players have truly bought into what it takes to be a Cup contender.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner has been my favourite Leaf since he came into the league. Was extremely pleased when we drafted him. But it’s so glaringly obvious that he, along with Nylander and Matthews, care more about the money than a true Cup contending team.
As much as I hate the Bruins, it’s plain to see that the players have truly bought into what it takes to be a Cup contender.
Do you believe that any of these Bruin players if up for renewal now, wouldn't be looking at the same dollars as the greedy Leaf three?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Do you believe that any of these Bruin players if up for renewal now, wouldn't be looking at the same dollars as the greedy Leaf three?
probably, but Marner should have taken a little less to allow his team to get a couple of pieces missing to help his team win the cup. He still would have been very rich, so there is no excuse for his greed.

Reactions: TheOneArmedMan

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
probably, but Marner should have taken a little less to allow his team to get a couple of pieces missing to help his team win the cup. He still would have been very rich, so there is no excuse for his greed.
He did take a little less than what was offered, regardless everyone could have taken a little less, not just one player.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
It's like all our star players get hurt.

Matthews last year, Jt and Marner this year.... What else could go wrong

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
He did take a little less than what was offered, regardless everyone could have taken a little less, not just one player.
Mathews and Nylander too. I can't understand why any of these multimillionaires couldn't take a little less, I would think that winning the cup would be worth more than the extra millions they took.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Mathews and Nylander too. I can't understand why any of these multimillionaires couldn't take a little less, I would think that winning the cup would be worth more than the extra millions they took.
They all would still believe they can win a cup, same with the GM who offered and signed the deals.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017

We shall see. So far tavares and marner have been MIA all season. Matthews and nylander have been picking up the slack.

I can also see us going on a run here not because marner drags the team down cause he doesnt. But because I think matthews and nylander and andersen will carry them for a bit.

I can also see tavares doing well without mitch as he will adjust to being a playmaker rather than shooter.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019

To be totally honest, I think Pastrnak (sp?) would be the greedy one. I don’t think Bergeron would, and as much as I hate Marchand but would love him on the Leafs, I don’t think he would either.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
We shall see. So far tavares and marner have been MIA all season. Matthews and nylander have been picking up the slack.

I can also see us going on a run here not because marner drags the team down cause he doesnt. But because I think matthews and nylander and andersen will carry them for a bit.

I can also see tavares doing well without mitch as he will adjust to being a playmaker rather than shooter.

I really hope I’m proven wrong, but I just don’t, or at least haven’t yet, see Matthews step up and carry this team. He, like Nylander, can get points, but I don’t see that translating into wins.
Again, I hope to be proven wrong. Would love to see Matthews go into beast mode and carry this team!

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To be totally honest, I think Pastrnak (sp?) would be the greedy one. I don’t think Bergeron would, and as much as I hate Marchand but would love him on the Leafs, I don’t think he would either.
Be careful what you think about Marchand you will likely be very surprised. He can be a real handful to deal with. Go to Hali and you might be surprised what his uncle even says or the Moosehead hockey community.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Pastrnak signed just one year before Nylander after a 37 goal/78 point season... he was unsigned until the day before camp started. He agreed to (lol) 6.6x6.

It’s the difference between a good gm and a rookie who had no idea what he was doing.

Reactions: Faltorvo

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

You are kidding... right?

Otherwise this is honestly the dumbest comment I have read all season.

FYI, Oilers are still paying Lucic 750k just to not be on the team... so yeah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad