Injury Report: Mitchell Marner ankle injury (will miss at least 4 weeks)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They all would still believe they can win a cup, same with the GM who offered and signed the deals.
It’s not one by themselves, it’s the collection Dubas has paid vs. the needs of the many.
It’s one too many 11 million dollar forward.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You are kidding... right?

Otherwise this is honestly the dumbest comment I have read all season.

FYI, Oilers are still paying Lucic 750k just to not be on the team... so yeah.

750K to get out from under Marner's contract would be a massive bargain.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Be careful what you think about Marchand you will likely be very surprised. He can be a real handful to deal with. Go to Hali and you might be surprised what his uncle even says or the Moosehead hockey community.

Wow, did not know that! I just remember, can’t remember when it was, Marchand having his picture taken with a young fan (was on Facebook) at a restaurant here in Woodstock, N.B. sometime after the Stanley Cup playoffs. It was quite recently, May even have been this past summer.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
750K to get out from under Marner's contract would be a massive bargain.
Sure, lets "get out" of the contract of a 22 year old winger coming off a 94 point season who plays both powerplay and is a solid penalty killer. Doesn't matter if 30 other teams would pony-up prime assets for that guy, lets retain salary to boot!

Even better, lets instead use that money to take on the contracts of some over-priced declining power forwards in their 30s! Much better investment!

Wow, with savvy like yours you should run the Oilers. You could be the next Chiarelli.

Reactions: Notsince67

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Sure, lets "get out" of the contract of a 22 year old winger coming off a 94 point season who plays both powerplay and is a solid penalty killer. Doesn't matter if 30 other teams would pony-up prime assets for that guy, lets retain salary to boot!

Thats funny because Marner and his agent were loudly soliciting offers from 30 other teams all summer long and I guess you would be surprised to learn but not one of them was willing to "pony-up prime assets for that guy".

Its almost like they knew Marner wasn't worth it. :eek:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wow, did not know that! I just remember, can’t remember when it was, Marchand having his picture taken with a young fan (was on Facebook) at a restaurant here in Woodstock, N.B. sometime after the Stanley Cup playoffs. It was quite recently, May even have been this past summer.
In it is very well known story in Hali because I heard it from 3 different people. Marchand rented a rink in Hali last summer and a kids team was on ice after him. He stayed on ice for quite a large part of their practice time and then had a few not kind words to utter when he left the ice when kids asked him for autos and to skate with them. and it was same org he played with as a kid and who got him the ice. In essence you guys are going nowhere and why would I .................... fill in the expletives. Anywho I have never met him but all I hear is he is self centred and ego like Babs.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Pastrnak signed just one year before Nylander after a 37 goal/78 point season... he was unsigned until the day before camp started. He agreed to (lol) 6.6x6.

It’s the difference between a good gm and a rookie who had no idea what he was doing.
To be honest and fair
Salary structure hand constantly their environments and are always on flux as to the “ crop “ of signings and players .
That is constant and has been going on since the dawn of salaries for athletes ..
So let’s be honest ..
Trends and structures are always about constant flux ...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He does not play again in 2019 is my guess. 4 weeks takes us to mid-December and that is just for a reassessment. No point in rushing him back if there is any doubt he is not 100%

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Only 2 guys in the league I would consider trading Matty for - McJesus and MAC. Thats it. To say they have no trade value is insane. Everyone is league with CAP space and financial wherewithall would trade 4 1st rounders for Matty.
I’d look for the best deal offered. Not always a 1 for 1. Especially as a gauge his interests as we approach his NMC year.
What if you were offered a Couturier and Provorov?

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
In it is very well known story in Hali because I heard it from 3 different people. Marchand rented a rink in Hali last summer and a kids team was on ice after him. He stayed on ice for quite a large part of their practice time and then had a few not kind words to utter when he left the ice when kids asked him for autos and to skate with them. and it was same org he played with as a kid and who got him the ice. In essence you guys are going nowhere and why would I .................... fill in the expletives. Anywho I have never met him but all I hear is he is self centred and ego like Babs.

Thanks for sharing. I guess I’m not totally surprised to hear this. He is such a dick on the ice, it makes sense that he’s like that off the ice too.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Thats funny because Marner and his agent were loudly soliciting offers from 30 other teams all summer long and I guess you would be surprised to learn but not one of them was willing to "pony-up prime assets for that guy".

:laugh: That's some good stuff right here.....not sure what's funnier, that you would believe this? or that you would expect others to?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

This is blatently false. Marner also went on record to claim that Dubas knew of them. Do you think he would have if there was a chance Dubas would refute it?

Reactions: DarkKnight

TexanGuy

Nov 24, 2009
Victoria, BC
Nothing left to do but have faith that he knew/knows what he was doing.

and how do you know he knows what he is doing? Did you say the same thing when JFJ was making his stupid moves a decade ago, or were you too little to remember? Dubas looks geeky but i doubt he knows what he is doing.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
and how do you know he knows what he is doing? Did you say the same thing when JFJ was making his stupid moves a decade ago, or were you too little to remember? Dubas looks geeky but i doubt he knows what he is doing.
Get someone with a better understanding of basic English to read my post to you and try replying again.
Good luck.

TexanGuy

Nov 24, 2009
Victoria, BC

Marner knew there was no GM dumb enough to offer what Dubas was eventually going to offer. He knew there was no point accepting a 10 M offer (if there was even one) from another team when he could make more just by staying unsigned into PreSeason. For him making money was priority #1 and #2. Whether team was good enough or they could afford a good backup or not was priority no. 3. Stanley Cup win was probably further down the list.

Reactions: Kurtz and Faltorvo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This is blatently false. Marner also went on record to claim that Dubas knew of them. Do you think he would have if there was a chance Dubas would refute it?
Not that it means much unless it comes from Mitch or Dubie and I have only heard this from 3rd party sources around team but rumour is Mitch's agent had a few teams at around 10.6M per or the MAX amount teams could go without giving up 4 1st rounders. So to be fair maybe Dubie paid AAV a little more than that for goodwill to get a deal done. Of course the Leaf upfront $$$ is sweet too. But absolutely nothing from Paul or Mitch to anyone since he came back on ice. I was surprised myself to hear that on Saturday night. Likely Leafs did not overpay much on the market. Again big surprise to me too. But people talk so I would be shocked if Dubie did not know what was going on. The dude is pretty smart. and no GM gets every call right.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
He does not play again in 2019 is my guess. 4 weeks takes us to mid-December and that is just for a reassessment. No point in rushing him back if there is any doubt he is not 100%

I think he'll be lucky if he plays in january. This injury really sucks, a tough one.

I expect him to be back aroun mid february, and get back to his form in mid march.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think he'll be lucky if he plays in january. This injury really sucks, a tough one.

I expect him to be back aroun mid february, and get back to his form in mid march.
I think you will see him back on ice in December skating and hopefully in January in game action. But agree likely February for a skilled guy to be producing again. It takes a few weeks for hands and confidence to come back after getting back to game action. Anyways a huge screw up for our season. But even still we will still make playoffs and then it will count for real.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Not that it means much unless it comes from Mitch or Dubie and I have only heard this from 3rd party sources around team but rumour is Mitch's agent had a few teams at around 10.6M per or the MAX amount teams could go without giving up 4 1st rounders. So to be fair maybe Dubie paid AAV a little more than that for goodwill to get a deal done. Of course the Leaf upfront $$$ is sweet too. But absolutely nothing from Paul or Mitch to anyone since he came back on ice. I was surprised myself to hear that on Saturday night. Likely Leafs did not overpay much on the market. Again big surprise to me too. But people talk so I would be shocked if Dubie did not know what was going on. The dude is pretty smart. and no GM gets every call right.
I heard pretty much the same thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad