Speculation: Mitch Marner Megathread Part 12 (Note in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
:huh:

Why ?

His nominal cap hit might go up, but his actual cap hit will be lower as he won't be paid for the days he missed.

Nylander's nominal cap hit last year was a bit north of $10.2M, but his actual cap hit was a bit south of $7M.

Let's say on October 1st Marner signs a contract that is almost identical to Nylander's, but for more money (5 years instead of 6 and for each season the bonus and salary amount are both increased by 1M). Example:
Year 1 3M bonus, 11M salary
Year 2 9.3M bonus, 1.7M salary
Years 3 to 5 4.5M bonus, 3.5 salary.

Total 49M 9,8M AAV. No problem for the Leafs as the two LTIRs are worth 10.5M.

But if that exact same contract is signed on Dec 1st (1/3rd into the season:

Marner would lose almost 4M and get about 7.37M salary for that season. Over the course of the contract he would get 45.37M and would have an AAV of 9.074M for years 2 to 5. That 9.074M would also be what the Leafs would need for season one (an AAV of 13.611M but only applied over 2/3rds of the season). However, they wouldn't have the cap space to pay 9.074M over the final 2/3rds of the season. They would have 2/3rds of the 10.5 From the 2 LTIRs (7M left).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If I had to guess, I would say they like the contracts that Kyle Dubas has handed out and want to see what he'll do for an encore.

So the rest of the league runs negotiations using primarily external variables but the Leafs are supposedly stuck with internal ones?

Seems unlikely....

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Matthews contract is horrible and I'm a huge Matthews fan. He's paid like McDavid but produces like Pavelski. Dudas made a big error in judgement on Matthews now Matthews has a contract he'll never live up to.
Thank you for being honest. But even though Matthews has not earned that contract, he still could live up to it because he is talented.

The issue becomes, if he doesn't, it's and overpay. And if he does, then he becomes a UFA much quicker and will get an even bigger contract. Leafs took all the risk. Where was Matthews "give"?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thank you for being honest. But even though Matthews has not earned that contract, he still could live up to it because he is talented.

The issue becomes, if he doesn't, it's and overpay. And if he does, then he becomes a UFA much quicker and will get an even bigger contract. Leafs took all the risk. Where was Matthews "give"?

You have made a lot of fair and dead on correct posts in this thread. The problem started with Nylander. It's The optics. Agents know the precedent was set whether people keep wanting to bury their heads in the sand is Nylander and Gross got rewarded nicely for holding out. 6.96M .04 shy of 7M is an overpayment compared to other contracts at the time. Dubas position looked weak, and agents took notice. Then in an overreaction to having another Nylander stalemate, he overpaid Matthews at 11.634 buying only 1 UFA year that will walk him to free agency. These 2 precedents have just emboldened Marner and Ferris. They can only go by this history, and history says Dubas will fold and overpay based on these 2 precedents.

Then you have him showing his hand with statements like this one, what do people expect Marner to do, take a team discount when no one has, and be even weaker than Dubas. I think this is highly unlikely. Dubas set the table for this. It's now nearing 2 months past his imperative deadline.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
1. You might want to re-write this as it is incomprehensible as written.

2. You stated "If it’s this year. No one else has signed." I gave you a list of those who have...
Well, based on all the evidence we can only conclude that Dubas won't overpay for Marner as he has not overpaid for anyone else. Marner will probably sign within the next few weeks for training camp. And that some people just repeat their same whining, and that some people are really obessed with the Leafs.

Reactions: CujosMask

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So the rest of the league runs negotiations using primarily external variables but the Leafs are supposedly stuck with internal ones?

Seems unlikely....

The rest of the league is waiting for what they think will be the high water mark. The Marner camp also believes, based on the last two $11 million plus contracts he handed out, that Dubas will set the high water mark again for this RFA class.

Furthermore, who said the Leafs were stuck with internal variables and what does that even mean?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Well, based on all the evidence we can only conclude that Dubas won't overpay for Marner as he has not overpaid for anyone else. Marner will probably sign within the next few weeks for training camp. And that some people just repeat their same whining, and that some people are really obessed with the Leafs.
You might as well stop commenting if you feel Matthews was not overpaid. He was made the 2nd highest paid player in the league all while getting the shortest contract of the top paid players.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You might as well stop commenting if you feel Matthews was not overpaid. He was made the 2nd highest paid player in the league all while getting the shortest contract of the top paid players.
No, but you can stop commenting if you think Matthews is overpaid, or not. An opinion doesn't disqualify you or anyone else from commenting. In fact, it is utterly ridiculous to suggest someone stop commenting because you disagree with facts: Dubas won't overpay for Marner as he has not overpaid for anyone else. Marner will probably sign within the next few weeks for training camp. And that some people just repeat their same whining, and that some people are really obessed with the Leafs. Won't change even if I stopped commenting. Anyway when posters lie about the contracts I am going to comment to set the facts.

Reactions: CujosMask

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Historically? Or this year?

If it’s this year. No one else has signed.

If it’s historically. Lots??
Again...this is not hard to comprehend.

Matthews is the only player in the top 20 that signed a deal less than 7 years. AND Dubas made him the #2 paid player in the league while doing so.

And now the other RFA agents want the same thing...big money AND less term. And that's why lots of RFA's have not signed...because other GM's are willing to budge likely on one or the other, not both.

And when Marner leads the team in scoring the last 2 years AND PPG this year, of course we wants a contract that puts him up with the other 2 stars that he outproduced.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No, but you can stop commenting if you think Matthews is overpaid, or not. An opinion doesn't disqualify you or anyone else from commenting. In fact, it is utterly ridiculous to suggest someone stop commenting because you disagree with facts: Dubas won't overpay for Marner as he has not overpaid for anyone else. Marner will probably sign within the next few weeks for training camp. And that some people just repeat their same whining, and that some people are really obessed with the Leafs. Won't change even if I stopped commenting. Anyway when posters lie about the contracts I am going to comment to set the facts.
Except your opinion IS wrong.

Everyone can have an opinion. It doesn't make it fact.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

There was no give at all hence people mention his contract as a bad deal. Dubas took the RFA offer sheet fear and caved hopefully works out but Mathews really scored with that contract term and length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad