Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It’s not paying more for fun. Marner outscored Matthews by a landslide.
He outpaced him in one year by 6 points (way less goals), under much more favourable circumstances, with way better linemates, and we've already established that Marner had 7 extra empty net points last year because he happened to play with the 2 best defensive players on the team.

Yeah. "Landslide". :eyeroll:

You don't pay more solely based on one season with zero context. So yes, it would be paying more for fun.

Other contracts around the league mean jack ****.
Weird how that's true for the first time in the history of the NHL in this specific instance.

Marner is the engine of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Maybe to the uninformed outsiders who look at flashy moves on Youtube. Everybody knows that Matthews is the engine of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and he has been for 3 years.

Why would he take less
Because he's earned less based on all of the relevant factors, not just the one specific out-of-context one you want to use.

Reactions: biotk

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Such a fascinating series of threads, it’s like the twilight zone...

Just about every Leafs Fan telling everyone Marner isn’t as good as everyone thinks he is, while just about Every other fanbase telling Leafs Fans that he’s the most amazing player in the league and that he’s worth top 5 money...
Leafs fans are saying that he is not as good as Matthews and that Tavares is at least in part, responsible for the poit jump for Marner.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
He outpaced him in one year by 6 points (way less goals), under much more favourable circumstances, with way better linemates, and we've already established that Marner had 7 extra empty net points last year because he happened to play with the 2 best defensive players on the team.

Yeah. "Landslide". :eyeroll:

You don't pay more solely based on one season with zero context. So yes, it would be paying more for fun.

Weird how that's true for the first time in the history of the NHL in this specific instance.

Maybe to the uninformed outsiders who look at flashy moves on Youtube. Everybody knows that Matthews is the engine of the Toronto Maple Leafs, and he has been for 3 years.

Because he's earned less based on all of the relevant factors, not just the one specific out-of-context one you want to use.

Yeah man I only watch highlights. Oh sorry I was under the impression Marner put up 94 points last year. If you don’t want to sign him for 11 I’m sure someone else will.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Leafs management disagrees with you. But that is good!! Here is the chance for your team to land Marner, who is clearly undervalued by Leafs' managment!! He should be available at a steal of a price!! Quit posting and dedicate your time to getting your team to obtain a young player who is better than Tavares!!

I would make that offer no problem if we were a perennial playoff team. Marner is a hundred point player going forward

Reactions: NinjaKick

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Oh sorry I was under the impression Marner put up 94 points last year.
Yeah, you keep saying that... And only that... Just in case you didn't know, the world didn't spring into existence last year. The world also didn't throw out the entire concept of context last year.

If you don’t want to sign him for 11 I’m sure someone else will.
Good luck with that. Doesn't look like it's happening. Wonder who could have predicted that...

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kapanen. Same age. Same position. Same team. Signed in same year. Both play PK. What could be a better comparable, right?

And you said we just divide by their points and then multiply by Marner's points to get his contract value, and there's nothing at all wrong with doing that. So 6.5m, right?
Didn't say Kappy wasn't a good deal but the post I was referring to made direct comparisons between Marner and Nylander. That and the fact that Marner has sustained over 90 points for a year and a half. That being said, is Marner allowed to drop to 42 points next year...the same proportion Willy dropped by or can we gross up a bit further?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Yeah man I only watch highlights. Oh sorry I was under the impression Marner put up 94 points last year. If you don’t want to sign him for 11 I’m sure someone else will.

I remember watching Rob Brown score 49 goals and 115 points in only 68 games when he was a year younger than Marner. Point totals tell you one small slice about what there is to know about a player.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Yeah, you keep saying that... And only that... Just in case you didn't know, the world didn't spring into existence last year. The world also didn't throw out the entire concept of context last year.

Good luck with that. Doesn't look like it's happening. Wonder who could have predicted that...

It hasn’t happened.....yet. Teams will wait closer to training camp. People said there would be zero offer sheets and there have been 2 already.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I remember watching Rob Brown score 49 goals and 115 points in only 68 games when he was a year younger than Marner. Point totals tell you one small slice about what there is to know about a player.

It’s not just point totals. Like I said earlier. Marner is the engine of the team. He drives everything and is a heart and soul type of player.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It hasn’t happened.....yet. Teams will wait closer to training camp.
Why? What benefit is that for their team to have an uncertain roster?

Majority of offer sheets since the cap have been in July (mostly the 1st half). Only one near training camp was in 2006 for a relatively minor player.

People said there would be zero offer sheets and there have been 2 already.
There has been one offer sheet. It was for market value, it was instantly matched, and the only reason it was given out in the first place was bonus structure which doesn't concern the Leafs.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Why? What benefit is that for their team to have an uncertain roster?

Majority of offer sheets since the cap have been in July (mostly the 1st half). Only one near training camp was in 2006 for a relatively minor player.

There has been one offer sheet. It was for market value, it was instantly matched, and the only reason it was given out in the first place was bonus structure which doesn't concern the Leafs.

Point turned down or didn’t sign one. So 2.

The benefit is it makes it more difficult to move out money the closer to camp you get. If the leafs go over the cap by matching a big sheet then they are desperate to move salary to be cap compliant. If they have a week or 2 to do it before the season starts it’s more likely to poach a player.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It hasn’t happened.....yet. Teams will wait closer to training camp. People said there would be zero offer sheets and there have been 2 already.

I have been saying for many months that there would be offersheets. Yet, despite teams offer sheeting others, no team has felt that Marner is worth what he wants.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The referring post says Marner is not worth x more than Nylander. Factoring actual points that were far below expected points is a relevant point of discussion, no?
No. It came after Nylander got his contract, so what does it have to do with Marner's contract?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Didn’t Toews and Kane both sign the same contract the same year? Why can’t Matthews and Marner do that.

Well Kane and Toews had three SC, if he had done that I wouldn’t have an issue. They haven’t and playing C is much harder than wing. Plus goal scoring cost more.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
it's amazing to see a player that just lead the team in scoring, plays a responsible 2 way game (yes as a winger) and big minutes in every situation... get ripped apart by his own fanbase...
he's only 22... what more do you guys want from this player... leading a team at his age in scoring isn't impressive enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad