Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
why do they value Matthews and Tavares more when Marner just lead the team in scoring? and he did it mostly vs top line competition... to me that's extremely impressive... I'm not sure what you're expecting out of Marner?

The fact those two are franchise level centers and significantly better goal scorers plays a part I'd venture

Marner is a brilliant playmaking winger but he isn't that

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
why do they value Matthews and Tavares more when Marner just lead the team in scoring? and he did it mostly vs top line competition... to me that's extremely impressive... I'm not sure what you're expecting out of Marner?

You would have to ask them. Interesting to see that facing top line competition means something now because it didn't the year before when Matthews faced the exact same 97th percentile quality of competition that Marner did this year, and did it without playing with a linemate of Tavares' calibre (and still produced at a higher rate that year than Marner did this year).

There could be tons of reasons, and I have my suspicions, but only Leafs' management knows for sure.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Literally the only argument people point to is "led the team in scoring" in one season, when he barely even did that despite being in a highly favourable situation, and the difference was largely fueled by EN points. If the only argument you have for Marner is one that ignores all context and the rest of his career, that's a problem, and you are fueling your opinions through emotion.

To anybody that knows hockey, Matthews' season was more impressive. You could argue Tavares' was as well.
I've actually brought up alot of points about Marner... not just leading the team in scoring... I complimented his 2 way game... his PK play... his playmaking... his ability to bring the puck up the ice... he does all of these things vs top competition as a 22 year old.. definitely one of my favorite players
If I qoute all of your posts from the last 6 parts... it would be 99% negative non sense towards Marner? Why? I have no idea...

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
You would have to ask them. Interesting to see that facing top line competition means something now because it didn't the year before when Matthews faced the exact same 97th percentile quality of competition that Marner did this year, and did it without playing with a linemate of Tavares' calibre (and still produced at a higher rate that year than Marner did this year).

There could be tons of reasons, and I have my suspicions, but only Leafs' management knows for sure.
since when has top line competition ever NOT meant something... that's news to me
Marner out scored Tavares.... I understand Matthews didn't play with him but this doesn't down play what Marner achieved

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Sure, but he is the bench mark for the scoring wingers of the league.
For points , but for pay you have five other wingers making the same or more than him the year it starts so idk why his pay matters when he's clearly underpaid

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
For points , but for pay you have five other wingers making the same or more than him the year it starts so idk why his pay matters when he's clearly underpaid
I can't think of 5, but only Kane and Ovechkin were signed before reaching free agency. I know Panarin makes more as a UFA. Still, I think Kucherov is the benchmark.

Reactions: HabstuckinTO

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I can't think of 5, but only Kane and Ovechkin were signed before reaching free agency. I know Panarin makes more as a UFA. Still, I think Kucherov is the benchmark.
Benn panarin ovie kuch Kane stone make 9.5 or over . Ovie and kuch are the only two that signed while rfa.

Kane extended but was going to ufa so I don't think that matters plus he got paid the highest contract in the league at the time.

I know kuch is way better I just think he is discounted is all I'm saying .

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Benn panarin ovie kuch Kane stone make 9.5 or over . Ovie and kuch are the only two that signed while rfa.

Kane extended but was going to ufa so I don't think that matters plus he got paid the highest contract in the league at the time.

I know kuch is way better I just think he is discounted is all I'm saying .
He might be. I would have a hard time explaining why a player is worth more than him though. I guess Marner's agent is trying.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Who has ripped him apart? People are saying he is worth Kucherov money. A guy that just scored 128 points. That is not ripping anyone apart.

Actually, Kucherov had just scored 100 points when he signed that contract.

He scored 128 points in year 1 of that contract.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Even better!
Yeah but kucherov even with signing a year early with 1 year of rfa on his contract (his next contract)
was still probably worth more than 9.5 when he signed it .

I'm pretty sure he was 2nd in points for the 2 year total before (16-18) he extended a year early behind just McDavid and third in p/gp with Malkin coming slightly ahead yet is in a 4 way tie for 15th highest paid.

His stats do make it hard to justify paying anyone more than him tho

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
92C438B3-8877-4DE7-A35B-3949C0022BE2.png

Tavares seems to be the person driving that line. Marner really shouldn’t get more than 9 at most.

Reactions: Confucius

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The fact those two are franchise level centers and significantly better goal scorers plays a part I'd venture

Marner is a brilliant playmaking winger but he isn't that
Recycling the same old crap on the mainboard after they were debunked on the leafs board..I see. Toews had more goals than Kane in his ELC. What happen there? Paid the same. Stamkos had comparably more goals than Kutcherov before their last contracts. Why is kutch paid more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad