Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Guess who has the most even strength primary assists in the league despite playing fewer games due to his injury?

The same guy who has helped his line mate set a new single season career high in goals?

That's a neat fact actually. JVR had a career high two seasons ago on Marner's line, Tavares obviously last year, and now Matthews is taking off. All three of those players are on different levels, obviously, but there's a key common denominator

Marner is pacing the same goal per game rate as last year and is now on a 100+ plus pace .. Still, his giveaways are really up. He has been more careless with the puck this season.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The same guy who has helped his line mate set a new single season career high in goals?

That's a neat fact actually. JVR had a career high two seasons ago on Marner's line, Tavares obviously last year, and now Matthews is taking off. All three of those players are on different levels, obviously, but there's a key common denominator

Marner is pacing the same goal per game rate as last year and is now on a 100+ plus pace .. Still, his giveaways are really up. He has been more careless with the puck this season.
Fair on giveaways. He’s also emerged as a top PKer this year, so that’s a saw off for me.

Like him to be more tidy, that’s about it.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Fair on giveaways. He’s also emerged as a top PKer this year, so that’s a saw off for me.

I think that Keefe's encouragement on being free flowing on offense is one reason .. Marner's likely never had this much room for creativity so he's being a bit loose with the puck. Now it's on him to mature, learn, and be smarter.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

When you look at the forwards who make $10 mill AAV + Marner's probably middle of the pack in terms of who's "earning their keep" .. He's ahead of the likes of Kopitar, Toews, and probably Tavares (based on this season) but behind Matthews, Eichel, Panarin, McDavid, and Kane

If you use $9 mill + as a threshold there are some worse players out there - Benn, Seguin, Skinner

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When you look at the forwards who make $10 mill AAV + Marner's probably middle of the pack in terms of who's "earning their keep" .. He's ahead of the likes of Kopitar, Toews, and probably Tavares (based on this season) but behind Matthews, Eichel, Panarin, McDavid, and Kane

If you use $9 mill + as a threshold there are some worse players out there - Benn, Seguin, Skinner
At least the money isn’t as egregious as thought. We over paid but the kid has held up his end.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
He should of signed for 9.75 x 8. As good of a player he is, you’re not worth 11 mill a year if you’re not a scoring threat. He’s also been terrible in the shootout this year.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If you take Marner making just about $11 million and Nylander making just about $7 million and put it in a blender, I suppose you could live with the duo making a shade under $9 million each as a cap hit. I think that's the way I'm going to rationalize it.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

There's been too many games where he is invisible or playing poorly, but then gets one assist off of either a wicked passing play that only he and few others can do or a more routine pass that works out.

One of the better things about Marner compared to Matthews was consistency. Marner was that guy who brought it every game, with Matthews having too many games where he is invisible or playing poorly, but then getting that one rocket shot off or garbage goal.

They've kind of flipped that script this year -- Matthews seems like the one that brings it every game (since the coaching change).

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Patrick Kane is on a 100 point pace for 82 games played, Mitch is on a 104 point pace if he could play 82 games.

Matthews is also on a 100 point pace.

JT is on a 80 point pace and he's -6 but he is acting as TO's top defensive center.

Nylander is on a 74 point pace for 82 games.

I think most are looking in the wrong places for money problems, I think the high end players aren't the problem.

I know that the 3 plus mil. that Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kappy make seems like a true value but really are they? I would think that a line making over 10 mil. per year should either be scoring 50 points each or being that team's defensive line. I don't think those 3 can do either. They're not particularly effective as a line and that's as a 3rd line against other team's 3rd lines.

Ceci is an issue, I guess but he is +8, he's TO's top Pker so he is doing the job he's expected to do.

Reactions: GordieHoweHatTrick

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
NHL Point Leaders since December 7th:
1st - Mitch Marner 39 points
2nd - Artemi Panarin 38 points
3rd - Auston Matthews 37 points

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s been terrific as a playmaker, clearly one of the absolute best in the league.

However, he’s been terrible in terms of giveaways. Last year he was at 0.8 giveaways per game, this year he’s skyrocketed to 1.3 per game (up 60%, leads the team in giveaways now). The quality of them has been real bad too - often just being super careless/reckless with the puck, and turning it over at high risk times where nobody is in a good position to cover for him.

IMO his defensive play and hustle have both regressed a bit as well. His defensive play was never strong to start with, but he’s taken a step back from last year, so often failing to pick up his man, especially in transition.

I’m a big fan of Marner, and do think he’s taken a small step forward offensively this year, but it sucks that it’s come with regressions in his care with the puck and defensive play. IMO he causes more goals against than any other Leaf, through his giveaways and poor defensive coverage. I think he can improve in these areas, and become a legit franchise winger. For now he’s a major star on the PP, but more of a mixed bag at ES. He’s a force offensively, but a lot that is canceled out by his defensive play and carelessness with the puck. If we’re going to become a team that gets scored on less, it starts with Marner.

Last edited:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
He’s been terrific as a playmaker, clearly one of the absolute best in the league.

However, he’s been terrible in terms of giveaways. Last year he was at 0.8 giveaways per game, this year he’s skyrocketed to 1.3 per game (up 60%, leads the team in giveaways now). The quality of them has been real bad too - often just being super careless/reckless with the puck, and turning it over at high risk times where nobody is in a good position to cover for him.

IMO his defensive play and hustle have both regressed a bit as well. His defensive play was never strong to start with, but he’s taken a step back from last year, so often failing to pick up his man, especially in transition.

I’m a big fan of Marner, and do think he’s taken a small step forward offensively this year, but it sucks that it’s come with regressions in his care with the puck and defensive play. IMO he causes more goals against than any other Leaf, through his giveaways and poor defensive coverage. I think he can improve in these areas, and become a legit franchise winger. For now he’s a major star on the PP, but more of a mixed bag at ES. He’s a force offensively, but a lot that is canceled out by his defensive play and carelessness with the puck. If we’re going to become a team that gets scored on less, it starts with Marner.
He's my favourite player and I agree with your analysis 100%...He is very good but can get better. You've hit the nail on the head. Hopefully he's aware or will be made aware of his carelessness in the defensive and neutral zones. Creative playmakers have to understand when to be imaginative and when not to as well as when to shoot and when to pass. It seems in my limited viewing of Patrick Kane that he has , for the most part, learned this. Hopefully Marner will too.

Reactions: ponder

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Somebody on TSN was quoting Julien Brisebois who said the biggest takeaway for the Lightning in their 4 game sweep at the hands of CBJ was the fact that the Lightning players were a little too arrogant when it came to their offensive dominance. When they had a 3-0 lead in the first period in Game 1 they were looking to make it 6-0 instead of just playing the right way to protect the lead.

And that's always something I think about when I watch Marner play. The creativity is great but it's a fine line between artistry and excessively cute high risk moves. Saucer passes into open space that get picked off, extra little moves when a crisp pass or decisive shot will do. Better puck management, move up the ice on a PP with some urgency.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's my favourite player and I agree with your analysis 100%...He is very good but can get better. You've hit the nail on the head. Hopefully he's aware or will be made aware of his carelessness in the defensive and neutral zones. Creative playmakers have to understand when to be imaginative and when not to as well as when to shoot and when to pass. It seems in my limited viewing of Patrick Kane that he has , for the most part, learned this. Hopefully Marner will too.

I find Kane is more deliberate and has more precision handles. Has a better lower center of gravity and can back off guys and freeze them better. But on the other hand, he's literally an all-time great and Marner's just a kid.

Reactions: MJK and Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I find Kane is more deliberate and has more precision handles. Has a better lower center of gravity and can back off guys and freeze them better. But on the other hand, he's literally an all-time great and Marner's just a kid.

For sure, Patrick Kane will be a 1st ballot Hall of Famer...Mitch Marner has a long way to go, but he might make more money than Kane in the long run...:sarcasm:

Reactions: MJK

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

no playmaker gets paid on par with goal scorers.

who would you pay 11M to?
Player A: on pace for 60 goals and more than point per game

Player B: 20 goals and more than point per game

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Marner since being drafted:

25th in points per game
19th in Points
11th in assists

This is reality.

Why is Marner getting paid the best at his position?

please do not say PK. You have to do better than that.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner since being drafted:

25th in points per game
19th in Points
11th in assists

This is reality.

Why is Marner getting paid the best at his position?

please do not say PK. You have to do better than that.

People will tell you he led the team the last 2 years in scoring, which is the truth, but they don't say that Matthews was also injured in those 2 years and missed significant time. Hey, look who is leading the team in scoring this year and with 40 goals already?

Reactions: 81Leafs50

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
People will tell you he led the team the last 2 years in scoring, which is the truth, but they don't say that Matthews was also injured in those 2 years and missed significant time. Hey, look who is leading the team in scoring this year and with 40 goals already?

exactly correct.

Matthews scored 40 goals in his rookie year to Marners 61 pts. The fact that these guys make similar money is gross!

Reactions: Superstar

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Matthews has played just as well and even better than he has with Marner. He hasn't "taken off", he's stayed healthy.

Reactions: saffronleaf

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Marners OT assist on JT's goal against ANA was Marners 200th career assist. Matthews has 151 goals in the same time frame.

One makes 10.893M and the other one makes 11.634. Why are these guys only $741,000 apart in salary???

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Marners OT assist on JT's goal against ANA was Marners 200th career assist. Matthews has 151 goals in the same time frame.

One makes 10.893M and the other one makes 11.634. Why are these guys only $741,000 apart in salary???

Because Marner is a proven 90+ point player who likely has multiple 100 point seasons and is at the top of the league in chances generate per game. Lean off the ledge, Toronto finally has talented players for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad