Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This is not an excuse but if Cody Ceci never makes that stupid pass that goes behind his net that lead to the Panthers 2nd goal, chances are the Leafs keep that 3-1 lead and Marner doesn't go onto make that mistake on the empty net goal.

By definition, that is an excuse.

But I would say the EN goal isn't top five in terms of problems tonight.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't know if your being serious, but again lets not do this again.
This is like me saying "if Mark Hunter drafts Hanifin, the Marner mistake doesn't happen.
What I mean is that play by Cody Ceci is what started their downward spiral, because in the 2nd period their defense played great in front of Hutchinson. Hopefully that clears it up.

Reactions: stickty111

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Couple of late game misses but Marner was all over the ice tonight and got a couple of assists.
He's sloppy right now. Making a lot of highly questionable decisions for no reason.

It's one thing to push for offense, it's another to just play sloppy

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When Patrick Kane is wheeling around in the offensive zone, I notice he has a level of intimidation where he freezes defensemen and buys himself a ton of room to operate. As a comparable, Marner doesn't quite have that ability. He sometimes thinks he does but then get caught flat footed being too fancy.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He like to tie his skates and cost us multiple games this season.
MM is great. It’s not easy to expend the energy he does on the PK, and then be as awesome as he is 5 on 5 and on the PP. He’s saving the team cap dollars by being such a versatile player.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
When Patrick Kane is wheeling around in the offensive zone, I notice he has a level of intimidation where he freezes defensemen and buys himself a ton of room to operate. As a comparable, Marner doesn't quite have that ability. He sometimes thinks he does but then get caught flat footed being too fancy.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
MM is great. It’s not easy to expend the energy he does on the PK, and then be as awesome as he is 5 on 5 and on the PP. He’s saving the team cap dollars by being such a versatile player.

He needs to pick his spot with his shots, he doesn't have a good shot but has been forcing them too often...he can't do it all like he thinks he can...he's not that talented...he possesses good vision, but has a weak shot...he missed the net completely on that 2-on-1 with Matthews, and the puck ricochets out of the zone...then he turns it over for the hat-trick goal to Pysyk. Marner is overpaid. Nylander is playing better than he is at the moment.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He needs to pick his spot with his shots, he doesn't have a good shot but has been forcing them too often...he can't do it all like he thinks he can...he's not that talented...he possesses good vision, but has a weak shot...he missed the net completely on that 2-on-1 with Matthews, and the puck ricochets out of the zone...then he turns it over for the hat-trick goal to Pysyk. Marner is overpaid. Nylander is playing better than he is at the moment.
When WM and AM kill penalties NDP block shots like MM I’ll consider them close to MM. right now, those two are one way guys. They are having career offensive seasons, but MM will get 100 points, PK, and be harder to play against.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Lol at the person criticizing Matthews and Nylander. Right now, they are better then Marner.

Reactions: glue

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
When WM and AM kill penalties NDP block shots like MM I’ll consider them close to MM. right now, those two are one way guys. They are having career offensive seasons, but MM will get 100 points, PK, and be harder to play against.
Wrong on many levels. Marner is a one way turnover.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He's played poorly two games in a row. Specifically on the breakout. Tonight on the GWG and last game on his horse manure pass to Sandin.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

No GM in the NHL will pick Mitch Marner over Auston Matthews, none. Matthews is also lethal playing wing...his shot can't be taught. If Marner gets 100 points playing with Matthews, so will Matthews, but Matthews will score 50 plus goals also. Nylander is on pace for 39 goals this season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
What did you think of the penalty on Marner that lead to the Panthers 3rd goal? I know players always argue penalties, however when Marner came out of the box I never seen him scream at a ref like he did.
Not the greatest call but it doesn't excuse the other bad plays he had.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not the greatest call but it doesn't excuse the other bad plays he had.
I hated the fact how it was called right after the Panthers made it 3-2. Usually when a team scores I can't remember the last time they were given a power play almost right away and that did change the momentum. So it seemed like game management from the refs.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I hated the fact how it was called right after the Panthers made it 3-2. Usually when a team scores I can't remember the last time they were given a power play almost right away and that did change the momentum. So it seemed like game management from the refs.

The Leafs got sloppy after they went up 3-1 and the Panthers put on pressure while they buckled.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't know if your being serious, but again lets not do this again.
This is like me saying "if Mark Hunter drafts Hanifin, the Marner mistake doesn't happen.
What if Barrie doesn't stupidly dump it back and instead tries to gain the red-line and dump it in? or if you don't dump the puck back to the last man with an empty net. I mean, on the PP I get it, if it goes wrong, you have a goalie to bail you out, but with an empty-net it is playing with fire. Or how about Dubas doesn't trade for RHD who isn't compatible with either of our good LHD because if we play him with either Rielly or Muzzin the line has to be sheltered. Marner's earning his paycheck, and tonights game doesn't change that.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
What did you think of the penalty on Marner that lead to the Panthers 3rd goal? I know players always argue penalties, however when Marner came out of the box I never seen him scream at a ref like he did.

Considering the fact that he did he a flyby on a Panthers' player just outside the zone and proceeded to play catch up which led to his taking a penalty, probably frustrated at his own sloppy play.

If that was Nylander making those kinds of mistakes he would have been hung, drawn and quartered already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad