Mitch Marner Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Imagine if we chose Hanifin.
I will admit once the Leafs were locked into the 4th pick of the 2015 draft at first I thought they should have selected Hanifin. However the more highlights I saw of Marner playing for the London Knights I thought to myself if he's available at 4th overall the Leafs can not pass on him and I'm sure having Mark Hunter helped with that decision.

Plus on a personal level since I'm from Thornhill just like Marner, I thought that made it even better and another reason why I wanted them to draft him.

Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Here is even more proof how much a difference Sheldon Keefe has made in Marner's game, because let's remember Marner was injured when Keefe took over and didn't return until December 4th against Colorado.

Look Babs had to go, and the team is rejuvenated under Keefe, but let us not act like Marner didn't put up 94 points last year. No need to stomp on a guys grave on the way out. Babs was good for this team for 3 years or so. Then he got before his best before date. His strategy seemed too simplistic and didn't take advantage of the teams skill. Now, the Leafs need to prove that this current style is effective in the playoffs. I sure as hell hope it is.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I honestly think he was pretty dreadful in this game. He was missing passes, not supporting his linemates well; mostly just being a non-factor. The thing with Marner that separates him from most players is that even in a game like that, he can burst through with one big play and change the course of a game. That was a huge goal for us, and this ability to produce magic even when things aren't going his way is perhaps what I love most about him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Here is even more proof how much a difference Sheldon Keefe has made in Marner's game, because let's remember Marner was injured when Keefe took over and didn't return until December 4th against Colorado.

Yup Keefe deserves some credit for Marner's game. You can tell Marner just looks more energetic then he did under Babcock. He has changed the competitiveness of the team including Marner. Not sure the other poster should be complaining about your post.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yup Keefe deserves some credit for Marner's game. You can tell Marner just looks more energetic then he did under Babcock. He has changed the competitiveness of the team including Marner. Not sure the other poster should be complaining about your post.
Both Marner and Matthews look more energetic since Keefe took over.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
thats your opinion it is not fact, he looks the same to me as dangerous as he was since joining the league.....

Reactions: DarkKnight

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know I’ve become more energetic since Keefe took over. Less angry too. Hahaha.
Keefe seems like a breath of fresh air because at least he tries new things like playing Marner with Matthews, which Babcock only tried once and in his mind he must have thought at least I can tell the media and show the fans it was done.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON

To be fair, Marner put up 94 points under Babcock too. The guy is just a scoring machine, doesn't matter who he plays for.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To be fair, Marner put up 94 points under Babcock too. The guy is just as scoring machine, doesn't matter who he plays for.
That's true, however the one difference is Marner wanted to play with Matthews and not just on the power play. Babcock tried it once and split them up right away. I always thought he did tit just to tell them, the media and the fans that at least he tried it.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
One of the hardest things for a creative player to learn is when to be imaginative and when not to. When I coached (minor hockey I must admit) this was always one of my biggest challenges. Players of his ilk always see the game differently than others and this , of course, is a good thing. He still coughs up the puck too much in his own zone and the neutral zone that aren't necessary. Hopefully he learns when to be creative and when to make the simple play. Also his goal the other night notwithstanding he has to continue improving on his decisions to shoot or pass. He's getting there in that department. As good as he is now I believe he has room for growth and will be even better as he goes forward.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Marner giveth, Marner taketh.

Bad penalty, nonchalant with the empty net, and a rarity for him making a bad decision to shoot instead of passing off to Matthews.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
But guys he's been our best player!!
Give me a break, he isn't worth 11 million and wasn't ever.
This is Dubas's biggest blunder.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is not an excuse but if Cody Ceci never makes that stupid pass that goes behind his net that lead to the Panthers 2nd goal, chances are the Leafs keep that 3-1 lead and Marner doesn't go onto make that mistake on the empty net goal.

Reactions: Gallagbi

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is not an excuse but if Cody Ceci never makes that stupid pass that goes behind his net that lead to the Panthers 2nd goal, chances are the Leafs keep that 3-1 lead and Marner doesn't go onto make that mistake on the empty net goal.
I don't know if your being serious, but again lets not do this again.
This is like me saying "if Mark Hunter drafts Hanifin, the Marner mistake doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad