Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
If AM gets $11.6, Marner as a winger is worth every bit of that and more. I don't want the Leafs to lose players because of cap issues but he deserves $12 m. He does it all.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If AM gets $11.6, Marner as a winger is worth every bit of that and more. I don't want the Leafs to lose players because of cap issues but he deserves $12 m. He does it all.
I agree that Marner is worth a lot and he does deserve everything he can get. However don't be surprised if Dubas uses Kucherov's $9.5 million AAV contract as a comparable. He signed that after coming off a 100 point season in 2018, where as Marner just had a 94 point regular season in 2019.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
I agree that Marner is worth a lot and he does deserve everything he can get. However don't be surprised if Dubas uses Kucherov's $9.5 million AAV contract as a comparable. He signed that after coming off a 100 point season in 2018, where as Marner just had a 94 point regular season in 2019.
There's no state income tax in Florida, so half of his salary wouldn't be taxed at the state level. When agents present the numbers to their players it's a take home amount compared to what other players are getting for their take home amount.
Just a quick income calculator showed $4,750,000 salary in Ontario would have to pay $2,500,000 in tax vs $850,000 in Florida. So there's a $1,650,000 discount that Tampa receives because of income tax advantage. So Marner would have to get $11,150,000 in Toronto to be equal.
Now compare Kucherov's $9.5 m as a % of the cap in 2018 and add accordingly to 2019. Say the cap goes up $3 million... that means Kucherov's 2018 Toronto salary would have been 14% of the cap. 2019 - 14% of $82.5m is $11.55 million this year to be an equal % of the cap adjusted to after tax money in Toronto.

Now throw in any additional Marner qualities that Kucherov doesn't have, blocked shots, fore check etc.

Kucherov's first 3 seasons... 18, 65 and 66 points.
Marner's first 3 season........ 61, 69 and 94 points.

Dubas will argue AM is a centre vs winger but the injuries and level of compete will erase that.

To keep peace in the church I say Toronto gives Marner $11.6 million.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
There's no state income tax in Florida, so half of his salary wouldn't be taxed at the state level. When agents present the numbers to their players it's a take home amount compared to what other players are getting for their take home amount.
Just a quick income calculator showed $4,750,000 salary in Ontario would have to pay $2,500,000 in tax vs $850,000 in Florida. So there's a $1,650,000 discount that Tampa receives because of income tax advantage. So Marner would have to get $11,150,000 in Toronto to be equal.
Now compare Kucherov's $9.5 m as a % of the cap in 2018 and add accordingly to 2019. Say the cap goes up $3 million... that means Kucherov's 2018 Toronto salary would have been 14% of the cap. 2019 - 14% of $82.5m is $11.55 million this year to be an equal % of the cap adjusted to after tax money in Toronto.

Now throw in any additional Marner qualities that Kucherov doesn't have, blocked shots, fore check etc.

Kucherov's first 3 seasons... 18, 65 and 66 points.
Marner's first 3 season........ 61, 69 and 94 points.

Dubas will argue AM is a centre vs winger but the injuries and level of compete will erase that.

To keep peace in the church I say Toronto gives Marner $11.6 million.

If lower taxes in Tampa are allowed to be part of the equation, then so should the endorsement deals that come with being a star in Toronto. It seems every commercial I watch these days has Marner in it. How endorsement deals does he have right now? 5? God only knows how much he’s making from those per year. I somehow doubt that Kucherov gets anything remotely like that in tampa.

Also, I understand the argument of “why would Marner accept less than matthews?”... but I also understand the argument of “why would Rantanen and Point accept less than Marner?”

There are DIRECT comparables this time. If Dubas can’t get Marner to a similar contract as what Rantanen and Point gets, then he should be fired.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
Why was Kuch paid less than Kane despite signing 4 years later under a much higher cap?
Why did Stamkos sign for less than Benn/Kopitar in the same off-season?

Answer: Don't use Tampa contracts as benchmarks for the rest of the league
Kopi is better than Stamkos

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans
you understand the taxes thing and higher cap

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Keep in mind too! Goals are valued much higher then assists. Marner hasn't hit 30 goals yet. 10 m max for Marner.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
He’ll get the same contract Matthews got and then Toronto’s money managers will have to earn their pay. I think the discussion gets simpler as time goes on (as Marner shows he’s just as valuable as Matthews)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That Matthews contract is a tough one.

Marner is the best player on the roster and you can't sign him for same term as Matthews& Nylander.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Keep in mind too! Goals are valued much higher then assists. Marner hasn't hit 30 goals yet. 10 m max for Marner.

Honestly, its more like 10.1 mil minimum. Team(s) are going to offer him an offersheet of 10.1 mil over 5 years to keep the compensation at two 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd So Toronto will too. And they probably have to go higher to buy more UFA seasons and avoid him and Matthews becoming UFA at the same time.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm not sure if I want Marner on my team at 12 million aav... and that's without having to give up 4 first round picks in order to get him. No gm is going to offer that. There is absolutely no chance.

As a Canucks fan I'd give up 4 1st-round picks for Marner @ 12M any day of the week. Guy is an absolute stud who will 99% guaranteed be better than all 4 1st round picks put together.

With that said, I don't think Marner will end up signing an offersheet. He'll probably just re-sign with the Leafs.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
As a Canucks fan I'd give up 4 1st-round picks for Marner @ 12M any day of the week. Guy is an absolute stud who will 99% guaranteed be better than all 4 1st round picks put together.

With that said, I don't think Marner will end up signing an offersheet. He'll probably just re-sign with the Leafs.
Would you offer that for Rantanen and Point? Their numbers are arguably better than Marners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad