News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Well, for starters, because he threw his friends Matthews and Nylander under the bus. He basically said both players took every cent they could, and I'm sure both players disagree. Also, because presumably now all 3 would be questioned about their thoughts.

Nylander literally held out for money.
Matthews just signed, absolutely the most player friendly deal in the past decade.

These two 'friends' basically threw the ball in Marner's court, telling him to sign for low amount to stay, while they fatten their own pockets.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Nylander literally held out for money.
Matthews just signed, absolutely the most player friendly deal in the past decade.

These two 'friends' basically threw the ball in Marner's court, telling him to sign for low amount to stay, while they fatten their own pockets.

Okay, if a team is willing to pay Marner more... then offer sheet him. If not, why do they care what the Leafs are offering?

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
What's your offersheet to Marner?
Not worth considering offersheeting marner since the leafs would no doubt match it. But shouldnt they just pay Mitch the same as Matthews then any potential drama would be wiped out?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not worth considering offersheeting marner since the leafs would no doubt match it. But shouldnt they just pay Mitch the same as Matthews then any potential drama would be wiped out?

No, because he has no leverage. If Marner wants Matthews contract, he can sit out and wait for an offersheet (which won't happen at that price). Panarin is going to be cheaper. Point is going to be cheaper. If Rantanen gets less than Matthews, Marner is not getting the same.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Those that believe he did this without Marner's knowledge are out to lunch. I'm guessing the offers they were presenting to Marner were insulting when you look at what Matthews just got. That would explain the timing.

"Wait, you paid Matthews WHAT? After offering us this??"

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
No, because he has no leverage. If Marner wants Matthews contract, he can sit out. Panarin is going to be cheaper. Point is going to be cheaper. If Rantanen gets less than Matthews, Marner is not getting the same.
Most of what im seeing is that hes worth the same if not more than Auston. Panarin will maybe be a mill cheaper, unless he signs in income taxless florida. (I know horrible grammar). Rantanen is a great comparable, does he have another year on his ELC or no? How long to wait to see the results on his new contract?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
That is fine. We can flip Marner or get 4 1st round picks, and go out and sign another star. Does not bother me.

What will happen is Mitch and his family will have to answer question after question after question because of this, and I am sure AM and Willy didn't appreciate the contract insults.
Marner doesn't primarily care about answering questions, or angering his GM, his coach, his friends, or his fans. He doesn't care about being a Toronto Maple Leaf... not more than he cares about getting paid, at least.

If there is a lesson to be learned, it is this: Everyone is going to get paid. Shanahan, Dubas, Babcock, Tavares, Nylander, Matthews, and Marner. The next to give a discount for the good of the team will be the first, and he will be a sucker.

Marner will be a Leaf. The Leafs would still match any offer sheets. Nylander will probably not be a Leaf. At least he got paid first.

It's not personal. It's just business.

Reactions: inthewings

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Most of what im seeing is that hes worth the same if not more than Auston. Panarin will maybe be a mill cheaper, unless he signs in income taxless florida. (I know horrible grammar). Rantanen is a great comparable, does he have another year on his ELC or no? How long to wait to see the results on his new contract?

No, both Rantanen and Point are outscoring Marner and RFA's this year. Point is Marner's closest comparable, Rantanen has significantly more points.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Good on marner matthews and nylander.... hopefully kapanen and johnssen get what they are worth.

Givin tavares that contract knowing the sitution, and claiming youll keep the big 3 was a dangerous move.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Don't know what to say, I guess that's your opinion.

I understand that you guys don't like the way it's unfolding, but removing your emotions from the equation, tell me why this is Marner's camp's problem? Why should he throw his hands up and accept less than he's worth (by Leafs fans' own admission) because others got to the well first?

And how are lunatics in this thread honestly suggesting that the player should fire his agent for making life difficult for the team, or because he crossed some "line" by telling the truth. Should Marner's camp just sit demurely and hope for a better future while they add extra money on to everyone else's contracts?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I understand that you guys don't like the way it's unfolding, but removing your emotions from the equation, tell me why this is Marner's camp's problem? Why should he throw his hands up and accept less than he's worth (by Leafs fans' own admission) because others got to the well first?

And how are lunatics in this thread honestly suggesting that the player should fire his agent for making life difficult for the team, or because he crossed some "line" by telling the truth. Should Marner's camp just sit demurely and hope for a better future while they add extra money on to everyone else's contracts?

Ask yourself this

Pasta has more points
Point has more points
Kuch has WAY more points
Rantanan has WAY more points
Kane has more points
Wheeler has more points

Pasta is signed for under 7, and Kuch is at 9.5. In what world is Marner worth 11-12, or even 10?

I would venture to say that Dubas has no issue paying him 9m per year, and that is NOT a discount, like AM and Willy who also didn't take one.

And this is business

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

How about you tell us, how is this going to result in Marner getting more money?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Ask yourself this

Pasta has more points
Point has more points
Kuch has WAY more points
Kane has more points
Wheeler has more points

Pasta is signed for under 7, and Kuch is at 9.5. In what world is Marner worth 11-12, or even 10?
Matthews is making 11.6 and Marner is outproducing him.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Haha looked back and realized that could be misinterpreted :laugh:

To Confirm:
@Heart Eater I agree w you
Ferris - Shut the **** up
Haha yea I got it, f*** this Ferris guy

When Dubas was asked why Matthews is worth 11.6 he stated he scores goals at an elite, elite level and plays C in the NHL for the Toronto Maple Leafs

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

How much time did Matthews miss?

I am also pretty sure if you look at every underlying metric, plus GPG and position Matty plays, this is not close, and he has way more positional responsibility.

You know if Matthews has no injuries the last two years, he is the leading scorer on the team, and quite easily.

In fact, how many goals did AM have last year, and factor in he missed over 20 games to injury? how many did Marner have? what was Marner's PPG? what was his per 60?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Ask yourself this

Pasta has more points
Point has more points
Kuch has WAY more points
Kane has more points
Wheeler has more points

I would venture to say that Dubas has no issue paying him 9m per year, and that is NOT a discount, like AM and Willy who also didn't take one.

And this is business

What is the point of bringing up players who signed these deals years ago? The guy who plays on the same team and is on level with Marner has just signed a huge deal. That's the comparable, not a guy who signed years ago.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Well yah...Matthews is being paid as a player that Toronto hopes he can be, and Marner is being told that what he's actually done, isn't as valuable. Dubas picked the wrong hill to die on.

If people think Marner will just take 9m, and not sign an offer sheet for 11-12m, they are delusional.

It's win-win for Toronto. 4 1sts for Marner and $10m in freed up cap space? Deal.

Reactions: AvsFan29

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
What is the point of bringing up players who signed these deals years ago? The guy who plays on the same team and is on level with Marner has just signed a huge deal. That's the comparable, not a guy who signed years ago.

Pasta, Kuch, and Wheeler just signed.

Also, Matty missed over 20 games last year, and what...15 this year. Plays C, has more responsibility, and has an edge in almost every metric.

This is not close, they are not comparable.

Marner led this team in scoring because AM was hurt. If healthy, this is a laughable comparison.

It's also funny you bring up comparables on his own team. Did people not bring up McDavids contract when discussing AM? do you think Willy didn't look at Drai?

Comparable contracts are not limited to your team. You can be damn sure if a more expensive comparable was located outside the Leafs roster, the players would be all over it for leverage.

The bar for wingers is set with Kuch at 9.5, everyone else can fall into place. I am sure he can be replaced if he is looking for 11m a damn year lol 1.5m more than a 100pt winger and Hart candidate.

Last edited:

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Marner has too many comparables to be asking this much.

Leafs just need to wait for Aho & Point, and when they get under 10M, the Leafs offer a similar contract. Slightly less than Point because he's a centre.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Marner has too many comparables to be asking this much.

Leafs just need to wait for Aho & Point, and when they get under 10M, the Leafs offer a similar contract. Slightly less than Point because he's a centre.
There is zero chance Aho comes in under 10 unless he really doesnt give a f*** and the only reason Point would is because its Tampa and he almost needs to to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad