News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Except they can't tell him to do anything of the sort. Most likely he knew that comments were going to be made and the extent of it, Agents represent players interests. and are a reflection of the player when they go public, no agent is going to go off on such a tangent without consulting effected parties.

I don't know about that, but maybe.

IF this is true, and Mitch feels this way, time to move on from him and sign a Panarin or Stone. Let somebody OS Mitch and collect the picks.

This kind of behaviour should not be accepted.

People mention how Lou would handle this, well the player would be on a plane out of here.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
lol at trading Marner because he thinks Matthews is overpaid/wants to be paid the same

bigger mistake than not signing them in the summer

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Terrible stunt from Ferris. I would be extremely mad if I was Nylander and especially, if I was Matthews. His big day gets marred by Ferris' comments. Willy and Matthews got thrown under the bus for no good reason.

I really hope that Marner didn't ok Ferris' comments. He'll have to answer a lot of tough questions tomorrow and I doubt the locker room will be in a good mood.

Overall, this reflects very poorly on Marner. I mean, even with Nylander's holdout, his agent, Lewis Gross, never cried to the media about Nylander being treated poorly. Michael Nylander never complained about William being overlooked. Hopefully, Marner gets his agent and other parties under control.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Marner deserves just as much as Matthews because he is the heartbeat of the team. When Matthews has been injured all the time, he has stepped up and continued to put up points.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Marner is the sucker now if he accepts a team-friendly deal. The money he'd leave on the table wouldn't go to the team. He'd essentially be giving his money to Matthews and Nylander, because those guys didn't give a discount, and he knows it. To be level with them, he needs to squeeze every cent.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Terrible stunt from Ferris. I would be extremely mad if I was Nylander and especially, if I was Matthews. His big day gets marred by Ferris' comments. Willy and Matthews got thrown under the bus for no good reason.

I really hope that Marner didn't ok Ferris' comments. He'll have to answer a lot of tough questions tomorrow and I doubt the locker room will be in a good mood.

Overall, this reflects very poorly on Marner. I mean, even with Nylander's holdout, his agent, Lewis Gross, never cried to the media about Nylander being treated poorly. Michael Nylander never complained about William being overlooked. Hopefully, Marner gets his agent and other parties under control.

Oh there will be huge fallout from this, I can't even imagine what the room will be like. He talked as if it came from Mitch himself, basically shitting on his team and teammates.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
lol at trading Marner because he thinks Matthews is overpaid/wants to be paid the same

bigger mistake than not signing them in the summer

Yes, we get it.

They should have been signed in the summer lol

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Couldn't this be done in the Leafs forum?
Stop circle jerking and defending the team.

Matthews got absolutely the best of both worlds, giving up only one UFA year and landing an insane AAV for it.

The agent absolutely got the go ahead, or even the directive from Marner to do this, there is no way an agent would risk his cut by saying something the player doesn't want.

If the Leafs had a better negotiator and made better contract decisions, the Leafs could have been a powerhouse in the making.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Failing to see why this is such an awful thing for Marner and his representation to do, and definitely not seeing how it's "reasonable" for Toronto to demand that he fire his agent.

If you can start doing that just because you don't like a guy's negotiating tactics, why even have the agent anymore? Sports agents would be like work comp doctors, always somebody willing to ride the company line for an easy payday.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Failing to see why this is such an awful thing for Marner and his representation to do, and definitely not seeing how it's "reasonable" for Toronto to demand that he fire his agent.

If you can start doing that just because you don't like a guy's negotiating tactics, why even have the agent anymore? Sports agents would be like work comp doctors, always somebody willing to ride the company line for an easy payday.

Don't know what to say, I guess that's your opinion.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Players have agents expressly to play hardball in negotiations, so that the players don't have to do it. This isn't against Marner's wishes and he will certainly not be terminating his agent's services. He would laugh in Dubas' face if the latter demanded that Marner fire his agent. That would only reinforce to Marner that his agent is doing his job.

This is going to be a bear of a negotiation. It always was, since the moment the Leafs signed a huge free agent with all of their star youth due to come off their ELCs. All is proceeding as most had foreseen and it will end, predictably, with the expected Nylander trade to free up enough money for the defense. It's just a question of how long they deny there is a problem.

There are consequences to the Tavares signing, and the answer was never hometown discounts.

Reactions: Gilligans Island

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's okay, tell his agent to go find him a team who will sign him for more than Matthews and give the Leafs four first round picks. :laugh:

The Leafs will then pursue Point and/or Panarin in the off-season.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
How is this disrespectful to the his team? The man wants to get paid

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Suppose Mitch Marner makes it to July 1 without a contract. Suppose the Devils offer him a deal worth 11-11.75 million a season. Suppose he accepts. This would be a compensation of 4 first round picks I believe.

Would the Leafs rather ...

1. Match it

2. Take the picks

3. Work out a deal with NJ so NJ can keep 1 or 2 of those picks while taking on Zaitsev as well as Hornton/Marleau

Make the trade.

Assuming NJ drafts one of Kako, Dach or Podz, the guy they just drafted + 1st in 2020 + Coleman for Marner and Brown.

Assuming Marner finishes around #7-10.

Make the trade, sign one of Panarin Stone or Duchene.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
In my opinion, Toronto needs to be strong and tell Marner that he needs to fire Ferris and apologize for these comments. This is really ugly on all parts and it can break apart a locker room.

Dubas needs to be shown he can’t be pushed around. As incredible as Marner is, and as much as paying him 11.634X8 isn’t really that big of a deal, I don’t think you can keep a player who is complicit with these statements being made by his agent.

Just for the fun of it, I’d like to see the alternate timeline where Lou Lamoriello stays with Toronto and handles all of this. It might not be any better for Toronto but it’s an interesting thought.

Hello union grievance, and penalties to the team.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
How is this disrespectful to the his team? The man wants to get paid

Well, for starters, because he threw his friends Matthews and Nylander under the bus. He basically said both players took every cent they could, and I'm sure both players disagree. Also, because presumably now all 3 would be questioned about their thoughts.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Well, for starters, because he threw his friends Matthews and Nylander under the bus. He basically said both players took every cent they could, and I'm sure both players disagree. Also, because presumably now all 3 would be questioned about their thoughts.
Their president and head coach took as much as they could; neither are in Toronto because they want to be there. It starts from the top and everyone in T.O. has money on their mind.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Their president and head coach took as much as they could; neither are in Toronto because they want to be there. It starts from the top and everyone in T.O. has money on their mind.

The issue is Marner's agent wants more than he's worth. Besides, if he wants the Matthews contract, the Leafs have all the leverage unless another team does want to pay Marner 11.6M X 6 and give up four first round picks. I think Panarin would be a better and cheaper alternative for Marner, or the Leafs have four 1st round picks to find one. As good as Marner thinks he is, you don't generally build a team around a winger.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
My hope is this puts to bed the idiotic notion that stashing players in the minors in order to not eat a year of their ELCs is always a smart idea because you have control of the player for longer. Leafs fans hailed the management for stashining nylander for 2 years and Marner for one and allowing them to show the players whose boss. Now those chickens are coming home. Nylander could have signed 2 years ago for 6, Marner this summer for 7.5 or maybe 8, have had a little more cost certainty at least. These players have no reason to give the leafs a hometown discount when that same orginization screwed them out of 1 or two years of nhl seniority. I’m not saying every player should come up right away but it should be a hockey decision not some strategic buffoonery. Marner didn’t even play an exhibition game d+1 because they didn’t want to have to keep him

Reactions: CanuckCity

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Players have agents expressly to play hardball in negotiations, so that the players don't have to do it. This isn't against Marner's wishes and he will certainly not be terminating his agent's services. He would laugh in Dubas' face if the latter demanded that Marner fire his agent. That would only reinforce to Marner that his agent is doing his job.

This is going to be a bear of a negotiation. It always was, since the moment the Leafs signed a huge free agent with all of their star youth due to come off their ELCs. All is proceeding as most had foreseen and it will end, predictably, with the expected Nylander trade to free up enough money for the defense. It's just a question of how long they deny there is a problem.

There are consequences to the Tavares signing, and the answer was never hometown discounts.

That is fine. We can flip Marner or get 4 1st round picks, and go out and sign another star. Does not bother me.

What will happen is Mitch and his family will have to answer question after question after question because of this, and I am sure AM and Willy didn't appreciate the contract insults.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
My hope is this puts to bed the idiotic notion that stashing players in the minors in order to not eat a year of their ELCs is always a smart idea because you have control of the player for longer. Leafs fans hailed the management for stashining nylander for 2 years and Marner for one and allowing them to show the players whose boss. Now those chickens are coming home. Nylander could have signed 2 years ago for 6, Marner this summer for 7.5 or maybe 8, have had a little more cost certainty at least. These players have no reason to give the leafs a hometown discount when that same orginization screwed them out of 1 or two years of nhl seniority. I’m not saying every player should come up right away but it should be a hockey decision not some strategic buffoonery. Marner didn’t even play an exhibition game d+1 because they didn’t want to have to keep him

Oh, okay. Maybe the Leafs should have called up Marner so he wasn't NHL ready. You think the Leafs are in a better position today if Marner isn't on his ELC? :laugh:

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Theyre all adults. Im sure Matthews and Nylander arent gonna get their panties in a bunch over their friend trying to get his fair money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad