News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
one can hope

Sadly, all the Losers who are simply hoping for the Leafs to implode, will be very disappointed. It'll get worked out and all the core will be signed and the cap will work. Some lesser guys may go bye-bye, but there is still a ton of depth on the Leafs who are signed up and ready to go.

Yay!!

:)

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Sadly, all the Losers who are simply hoping for the Leafs to implode, will be very disappointed. It'll get worked out and all the core will be signed and the cap will work. Some lesser guys may go bye-bye, but there is still a ton of depth on the Leafs who are signed up and ready to go.

Yay!!

:)
yeah sure, theres a reason only Toronto fans and media dont see the incredible cap problem they are going to face.

Its a five year window, better make it work

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ask yourself this

Pasta has more points
Point has more points
Kuch has WAY more points
Rantanan has WAY more points
Kane has more points
Wheeler has more points

Pasta is signed for under 7, and Kuch is at 9.5. In what world is Marner worth 11-12, or even 10?

I would venture to say that Dubas has no issue paying him 9m per year

Okay, and? Matthews doesn't exactly deserve to make more than Kucherov either, but he is. You don't just play your hand, you play the table, including the new cap figure and the team's most recent negotiations. That's how Draisaitl got his money, and any number of players before him, it will happen again.

How about you tell us, how is this going to result in Marner getting more money?
Got a better chance than electing to take a team-friendly discount just to help the team make room for Matthews. This is a pretty important time to control your narrative, and pointing out that Marner was left with weak hardball offers while the Leafs overpaid Nylander and then folded over backwards for Matthews' contract all helps with the perception that the Leafs backed themselves into a corner, rather than Marner being unreasonable moving forward. Question stops being whether the player is worth the contract figure in the first place, and shifts towards why they're even in the crunch.

Reactions: Ivan13

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Got a better chance than electing to take a team-friendly discount just to help the team make room for Matthews. This is a pretty important time to control your narrative, and pointing out that Marner was left with weak hardball offers while the Leafs overpaid Nylander and then folded over backwards for Matthews' contract all helps with the perception that the Leafs backed themselves into a corner, rather than Marner being unreasonable moving forward. Question stops being whether the player is worth the contract figure in the first place, and shifts towards why they're even in the crunch.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here. You think Dubas is going to freak out and go and offer Marner 11M+ now because Ferris thinks he's being treated unfairly? :laugh: If anything, it just gives Ferris the reputation of not keeping contract negotiations confidential.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here. You think Dubas is going to freak out and go and offer Marner 11M+ now because Ferris thinks he's being treated unfairly? :laugh:

Yep. Exactly that. I think he's going to call in, oh I don't know, three or four hours to work out the final details, before lighting himself on fire.

Don't play stupid.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I’d honestly be pissed at my agent. Obviously it’s not Marner but they work for him and it makes him look bad. In real poor taste to publicly make these comments on the same day his teammate signed an extension.

Let the team know in private your contract expectations. This will become a distraction with Marner having to go before the camera and answer stupid questions.

I’d fire my agent ASAP

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I’d honestly be pissed at my agent. Obviously it’s not Marner but they work for him and it makes him look bad. In real poor taste to publicly make these comments on the same day his teammate signed an extension.

Let the team know in private your contract expectations. This will become a distraction with Marner having to go before the camera and answer stupid questions.

I’d fire my agent ASAP

You guys are pretty naive if you think Marner is upset with his agent. Do you think these guys talk to media without consulting the client? His job is to get the most money for his client.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
It's one thing to feel or to express those wishes in private contract discussions. It's quite another to give inflammatory quotes on the record criticizing the team, immediately creating a toxic distraction for his client. Especially considering he's told everyone he won't negotiate during the season. That is outlandish. Ferris comes off as incredibly unprofessional.
It’s not an agents job to be professional. Maybe leafs are offering like 8 mil a year deals. That’s unprofessional.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I’d fire my agent ASAP

He's going to answer all those stupid questions with "I'm just going to focus on playing hockey right now, and let my agent handle everything else. Blah blah focus, blah blah season's over, blah blah you're wasting your time, there's no article here".

I can add that to my daily to-do list for a little extra money per year.

Letting the team know your contract expectations? Yeah, that's already happened, do you honestly think this was the first piece in play? On a team where Matthews just took every cent he could and Nylander just finished holding out? No no. This is to prevent everyone heaping on Marner in a few months when he won't "do the right thing" to make the numbers work, remind everyone that Matthews didn't compromise an inch and maybe start throwing in some Nylander reminders along the way.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
yeah sure, theres a reason only Toronto fans and media dont see the incredible cap problem they are going to face.

Its a five year window, better make it work

Conversely, a random nobody on the internet does not define anything. Keep speaking from your vocal minority. Everyone is really thrilled to hear about how you, and the other vocal minority are better gms and salary cap managers than those employeed by a world class hockey club.

Here is hoping Marner can get paid properly. He is a great player. Just funny how he mostly gets no respect, until contract talks come up.

You got bozos trying to act like his contract comparables have not signed recently, and inane people tossing around unrealistic numbers.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Everything under $12mil per is lowballing Marner. It'll interesting to see what kind of a team the Leafs are going to ice when they've got +$11mil tied to three guys each, $7mil goes to a guy who projects to score 30pts this season, and $4.5mil goes to a bottom pairing dman...
That 30 pointer has 6 points in his last 5 GP. Temper the hate grasshopper.

Walter Sobchak

Dec 30, 2015
This is the unfortunate, but inevitable, result of the pressure in Toronto to win now while at the same time holding onto young talent. I said it this summer, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If the brass in Toronto really felt the need to sign Tavares, fine, but there is really no logical way to sign Tavares and then pay Matthews, Marner and Nylander market value. You either pass on Tavares and focus on Matthews, Marner and Nylander as the core of the team or you sign Tavares and pick 2 out of the 3; I think it’s obvious that Nylander should’ve been the odd man out. You can not, in my opinion, build a championship hockey team with 4 forwards taking up half your cap space.

And now it’s come home to roost, and it is playing out publicly in the middle of the season. I don’t know, and neither does anyone else here, whether or not this will have an affect on the locker room but it is undeniable that this situation is a bad look for Marner, his agent and the entire Toronto Maple Leafs organization.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
This is the unfortunate, but inevitable, result of the pressure in Toronto to win now while at the same time holding onto young talent. I said it this summer, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If the brass in Toronto really felt the need to sign Tavares, fine, but there is really no logical way to sign Tavares and then pay Matthews, Marner and Nylander market value. You either pass on Tavares and focus on Matthews, Marner and Nylander as the core of the team or you sign Tavares and pick 2 out of the 3; I think it’s obvious that Nylander should’ve been the odd man out. You can not, in my opinion, build a championship hockey team with 4 forwards taking up half your cap space.

And now it’s come home to roost, and it is playing out publicly in the middle of the season. I don’t know, and neither does anyone else here, whether or not this will have an affect on the locker room but it is undeniable that this situation is a bad look for Marner, his agent and the entire Toronto Maple Leafs organization.
You pretty much nailed it here. Said the same thing when Nylander got signed, still expect Dubas to break "his promise" and trade Nylander away. Will be kinda hard though considering his first 25-ish games.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
In my opinion, Toronto needs to be strong and tell Marner that he needs to fire Ferris and apologize for these comments. This is really ugly on all parts and it can break apart a locker room.

Dubas needs to be shown he can’t be pushed around. As incredible as Marner is, and as much as paying him 11.634X8 isn’t really that big of a deal, I don’t think you can keep a player who is complicit with these statements being made by his agent.

Just for the fun of it, I’d like to see the alternate timeline where Lou Lamoriello stays with Toronto and handles all of this. It might not be any better for Toronto but it’s an interesting thought.
That was funny. At first I thought you were being sarcastic but then after reading the whole thing I realized you were being serious.
Imagine a team going to a player and saying: Fire your agent. We don't like what he said about us... and we want an apology too!
LOL.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Nice. Marner's agent puts heat on his own client. Marner ought to find a better representative.
How? The organization has been walking a tightrope all year with contracts, if anyone is feeling the heat it's the Leafs.

If you weren't tainted by Leaf bias you could see this brewing from a mile away. From the captaincy statements, from his dad's talks, to him not wanting to talk contract throughout the year, Marner isn't happy and in some ways I don't blame the guy. If they really are trying to offer him 9 or something good on his agent for calling this out. Dubas made his bed, lay in it.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ask yourself this

Pasta has more points
Point has more points
Kuch has WAY more points
Rantanan has WAY more points
Kane has more points
Wheeler has more points

Pasta is signed for under 7, and Kuch is at 9.5. In what world is Marner worth 11-12, or even 10?

I would venture to say that Dubas has no issue paying him 9m per year, and that is NOT a discount, like AM and Willy who also didn't take one.

And this is business
By this argument Matthews is worth nowhere near 11.5 per annum.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Kyle Dubas is looking really bad in all of this.

Now that I have had time to reflect, what is he supposed to do I guess? Gotta pay you stars and if they want to be greedy twats then it's on them.

Half this board all season has said that Marner is better than Matthews. He is worth quite a bit, but if they want to try and be bullies, then I have no problem trading a player as good as him. He'd return a kings ransom and set the Leafs up to be one of the deepest teams in the league over the next 5 year window.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
In my opinion, Toronto needs to be strong and tell Marner that he needs to fire Ferris and apologize for these comments. This is really ugly on all parts and it can break apart a locker room.

Dubas needs to be shown he can’t be pushed around. As incredible as Marner is, and as much as paying him 11.634X8 isn’t really that big of a deal, I don’t think you can keep a player who is complicit with these statements being made by his agent.

Just for the fun of it, I’d like to see the alternate timeline where Lou Lamoriello stays with Toronto and handles all of this. It might not be any better for Toronto but it’s an interesting thought.
Bro this isn't 1970.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Now that I have had time to reflect, what is he supposed to do I guess? Gotta pay you stars and if they want to be greedy ***** then it's on them.

Half this board all season has said that Marner is better than Matthews. He is worth quite a bit, but if they want to try and be bullies, then I have no problem trading a player as good as him. He'd return a kings ransom and set the Leafs up to be one of the deepest teams in the league over the next 5 year window.

Your fandom is 100% in the way of you seeing this clearly.

"You should take less than you're worth so we can hoard all our nice things" is greed. "You should just buck up and take one for the team, kid" is, well, maybe not bullying in a severe sense but then again, neither is "Matthews didn't take a pay cut and we're over here getting hardball offers, that won't cut it and we've been patient". Swinging your **** around on the FA market while boasting about how easy it's going to be to keep all your talent is certainly greed, if not a little of both.

You said it yourself, you have to pay your stars. If you think contract negotiations are a hugfest that's on you.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Why all the nasty business talk now midseason? All the pens deals for Crosby/Malkin/Letang were always done in June/July with zero fuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad