News: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread (mod warning post 990)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think Dubas kind of set the bar though with those Matthews and Tavares deals. I know there are comparables around the league making less than $10 million, but the two most comparable on his own team (in terms of importance and production this year) are both making $11 million or more.

That's why I'm curious exactly what the offers are. Because if Marner's camp wants somewhere close to Matthews money, but the Leafs are offering him similar to Nylander money, that might be what Ferris is referring to. However, if they're offering him anywhere $9 million or above, then I think Ferris is over-blowing it with "lowball offers".

Fully agree.

But for him to lose it in public like that... just wow

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I agree on all counts. This is not cool of the agent and not cool on Marner if he okay’d it. (Judging by what I’ve seen from him, Marner is a class act and I doubt he did.)

Having said that, you have to wonder what Dubas and the Leafs’ organization did to make Marner’s camp feel this way. I’ve never seen anything like this come out of an agent’s mouth before and I think it’s fair to assume that somebody’s feelings were recently hurt.

I also think it’s fair to suspect that this wouldn’t be happening if Dubas were more experienced and a better negotiator. I’ll just say that I highly doubt Marner’s agent would be playing these kind of games with Lou Lamoriello.

As a 21 year old hockey analytics nerd who dreams of being an executive one day, I think it’s pretty obvious that things like experience and seniority are still very valuable. Dubas is probably a strong analytical mind, but he is getting taken advantage of here.
I don't know if I'd buy that the organization did anything wrong. In fact, the Marner camp said they didn't even want to negotiate during the season (in order to not distract Marner) and Dubas said he respected that. Dubas also doesn't seem like the type to low-ball premium talent.

Even if you are right that they see Dubas as someone they can easily take advantage of, what's the point of doing it now? It's not like they need to apply extra pressure or anything, they've said they aren't even interested in negotiating until the season is over. it seems extremely unprofessional. They see him as a Matthews level talent, but he isn't

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fully agree.

But for him to lose it in public like that... just wow

Yeah, it's weird for an agent to come out publicly like that.

Usually you only see that when it's clear both sides are at an impasse and you're about one step away from demanding a trade. You don't generally see an agent say that stuff while both sides are still amicable.

Reactions: DanM

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Terrible one, and no respect for anybody or anything by doing it that way.

Setting my obvious love for my team aside, I would never want these kind of tactics used in any negotiation, with any team. Just really bad optics.

I still can't believe he did this, just no thought process behind it.

I would honestly not be surprised if Mitch removed him as an agent.
Dubas was saying today that he is respecting the Marner camps wishes in regard to the end of season request. Now ,I bet Mitch has to field questions about his agents lack of integrity...just what he needs!I would turf the Jackass!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah, it's weird for an agent to come out publicly like that.

Usually you only see that when it's clear both sides are at an impasse and you're about one step away from demanding a trade. You don't generally see an agent say that stuff while both sides are still amicable.

Stay Tuned LOL

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Dubas was saying today that he is respecting the Marner camps wishes in regard to the end of season request. Now ,I bet Mitch has to field questions about his agents lack of integrity...just what he needs!I would turf the Jackass!

Agreed

He will be taken care of regardless, but he should fire that jackass...... unless he wanted this, but in no way do I think he wanted his agent to insult the team and AM.

Something fishy here

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Ferris: Don't negotiate with us until the end of the year, don't want to distract Mitch
Dubas: Ok
Ferris: f*** you Leafs, stop lowballing us. And f*** Matthews and Nylander too for taking too much money
I feel like I must be missing something, because he seems absolutely delusional

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, I'm kind of curious what the "lowball offers" were, for Ferris to make a public statement about it like this. Are we talking like Marner wanting $10 million and the Leafs offering $9 million? Or is the gap wider where the Leafs were offering him Nylander money?

Ferris’ job is literally getting low balled by GMs. None of this is new to him.

Let’s say Marner’s camp is asking $11.634M (Matthews money) and Dubas is asking $6.97M. (Nylander money) That’s $4.7M lower than, or 60% of what he’s asking. That would definitely not be the worst low ball offer that Ferris ever received. Hell, it’s probably not even out of the ordinary - he probably usually starts negotiations with that sort of gap. But I’ve never heard him make a public complaint about a low ball offer before.

Now, I really doubt that Dubas offered them even less than the Nylander contract - Dubas probably offered a lot more. And since the Nylander contract isn’t a seriously offensive low ball, I think one of the following two things is happening here:

1. Ferris sees Dubas as somebody weak that he can take advantage of. This makes sense, given his experience and seniority, as well as his track record with Matthews and Nylander.

2. During negotiations, Dubas made an arrogant, smug comment that rubbed Ferris or Marner the wrong way. This makes sense, given his track record with making arrogant, smug comments that rub people the wrong way.

I will be the first to admit that I am biased, I hate Toronto, and Dubas in particular. So maybe I am seeing what I want to see. But I have literally never seen an agent make a public comment about his client being low balled, and insult the contract of his teammate, citing it as the best (least team-friendly) contract in the NHL. And I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Dubas, who doesn’t seem like he is quite ready for this role, is involved in the first time that this is happening.

If somebody else sees it differently, I’m honestly up for discussion here. But this looks awful on Dubas.

Reactions: inthewings

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
All of you guys saying Marner should find a new represenative..

I bet you the agent is voicing Marner's thoughts.

Marner is a hometown boy, I'm sure he would have taken a team friendly contract had Matthews and Nylander done so, but they didn't. He must not be pleased

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Agreed

He will be taken care of regardless, but he should fire that jackass...... unless he wanted this, but in no way do I think he wanted his agent to insult the team and AM.

Something fishy here
I can't find a positive here at all...senseless! How does it help?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Ferris’ job is literally getting low balled by GMs. None of this is new to him.

Let’s say Marner’s camp is asking $11.634M (Matthews money) and Dubas is asking $6.97M. (Nylander money) That’s $4.7M lower than, or 60% of what he’s asking. That would definitely not be the worst low ball offer that Ferris ever received. Hell, it’s probably not even out of the ordinary - he probably usually starts negotiations with that sort of gap. But I’ve never heard him make a public complaint about a low ball offer before.

Now, I really doubt that Dubas offered them even less than the Nylander contract - Dubas probably offered a lot more. And since the Nylander contract isn’t a seriously offensive low ball, I think one of the following two things is happening here:

1. Ferris sees Dubas as somebody weak that he can take advantage of. This makes sense, given his experience and seniority, as well as his track record with Matthews and Nylander.

2. During negotiations, Dubas made an arrogant, smug comment that rubbed Ferris or Marner the wrong way. This makes sense, given his track record with making arrogant, smug comments that rub people the wrong way.

I will be the first to admit that I am biased, I hate Toronto, and Dubas in particular. So maybe I am seeing what I want to see. But I have literally never seen an agent make a public comment about his client being low balled, and insult the contract of his teammate, citing it as the best (least team-friendly) contract in the NHL. And I don’t think it’s a coincidence that Dubas, who doesn’t seem like he is quite ready for this role, is involved in the first time that this is happening.

If somebody else sees it differently, I’m honestly up for discussion here. But this looks awful on Dubas.

Not that I want Shanny to start talking again lol but I believe he should respond to this, it's an insult to his GM, and the team, and he is the president.

Reactions: saffronleaf

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't know if I'd buy that the organization did anything wrong. In fact, the Marner camp said they didn't even want to negotiate during the season (in order to not distract Marner) and Dubas said he respected that. Dubas also doesn't seem like the type to low-ball premium talent.

Even if you are right that they see Dubas as someone they can easily take advantage of, what's the point of doing it now? It's not like they need to apply extra pressure or anything, they've said they aren't even interested in negotiating until the season is over. it seems extremely unprofessional. They see him as a Matthews level talent, but he isn't

I thought the official word from Marner’s camp was that they didn’t want to negotiate until Matthews’ contract was signed?

And yes, it seems very unprofessional from Ferris’ camp.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I thought the official word from Marner’s camp was that they didn’t want to negotiate until Matthews’ contract was signed?

And yes, it seems very unprofessional from Ferris’ camp.
Marner won't talk contract with Maple Leafs until season ends: report
seems like it was until the end of the season, unless you have something to the contrary

for all the criticism Gross and M. Nylander got for being super unreasonable, they certainly wouldn't try anything like this. It is unheard of

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Tavares got his. Nylander got his. Matthew's got his.

Anyone not expecting Mariners agent making sure Marner gets his is a fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRoseEh

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Not that I want Shanny to start talking again lol but I believe he should respond to this, it's an insult to his GM, and the team, and he is the president.

In my opinion, Toronto needs to be strong and tell Marner that he needs to fire Ferris and apologize for these comments. This is really ugly on all parts and it can break apart a locker room.

Dubas needs to be shown he can’t be pushed around. As incredible as Marner is, and as much as paying him 11.634X8 isn’t really that big of a deal, I don’t think you can keep a player who is complicit with these statements being made by his agent.

Just for the fun of it, I’d like to see the alternate timeline where Lou Lamoriello stays with Toronto and handles all of this. It might not be any better for Toronto but it’s an interesting thought.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Marner will live with the questions if it means he gets an extra $2 million a season. He'll sleep real good at night.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
In my opinion, Toronto needs to be strong and tell Marner that he needs to fire Ferris and apologize for these comments. This is really ugly on all parts and it can break apart a locker room.

Dubas needs to be shown he can’t be pushed around. As incredible as Marner is, and as much as paying him 11.634X8 isn’t really that big of a deal, I don’t think you can keep a player who is complicit with these statements being made by his agent.

Just for the fun of it, I’d like to see the alternate timeline where Lou Lamoriello stays with Toronto and handles all of this. It might not be any better for Toronto but it’s an interesting thought.
I would hope Marner would have the sense to fire him on his own. I guess we'll see what happens. I really don't want to see Dubas cave to someone who would pull this

I think Lou is a bit overrated as a negotiator, but yeah that would be interesting to be able to compare.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Marner won't talk contract with Maple Leafs until season ends: report
seems like it was until the end of the season, unless you have something to the contrary

for all the criticism Gross and M. Nylander got for being super unreasonable, they certainly wouldn't try anything like this. It is unheard of

I thought I had seen something like that for both camps - that neither would talk until the season was over. But obviously Matthews changed his mind. And I thought I remembered seeing, more recently, that Marner’s camp just wanted to wait until Matthews had signed. I’ll look more into it later.

Yes, it is absolutely unheard of. I would be fuming if a Sharks player had an agent who said this. Even if it were somebody like Timo Meier referencing Evander Kane’s contract and being absolutely correct in his assessments.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

You know, I have thought about that. I think Lou does handle it differently, but I also truly believe a shift is happening in the league. I am not sure anybody can stop it. I will say I am impressed with the Boston's, Nashville's, and Tampa's of the world (even though I believe Tampa is also heading to cap hell lol) but we just happened to be the youngest core of those teams, and have that direct influence of the new RFA/youth movement, and the inflated contracts. I am not sure anybody would have told AM to take less, or Willy to take 300-500k less. I think these new age players mean business.

But with reference to Ferris. You are 100% correct. The league does not need loudmouth asshole agents pulling these kind of tactics, on any team.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

Except they can't tell him to do anything of the sort. Most likely he knew that comments were going to be made and the extent of it, Agents represent players interests. and are a reflection of the player when they go public, no agent is going to go off on such a tangent without consulting effected parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad