Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Leading his franchise?
Playing with far worse players?
Leading his team through multiple playoff rounds?
Playing as his teams #1C?
Please put some numbers around it for me that shows he is a better talent than Marner instead of a few random tosses that obscures team play vs player performance.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
it has just been proved that salary has nothing to do with position as I have stated time after time. A center has no more value then a winger or D man or goalie. Being the teams best player determines value.

So why are people still using center as a item when comparing players. A winger is now the second highest paid player in the NHL.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nick Kypreos just asked on PTS (I'm paraphrasing)...

How come Kawhi Leonard is getting nothing but love during his negotiation, but Mitch Marner is getting raked over the coals as a "greedy little kid"?

He has a point.

Well, one guy came in against his will and won a championship anyway, while the other guy is from here and acting like he won a championship and is bluffing to leave.

Did I cover everything?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I'm not disputing that Marner had a better supporting cast but the numbers aren't even close when looking at primary points.
It seems we have to pay each leaf player based on what their specific individual strengths are compared to similar players, while ignoring everything else about their game.

With Matthews it was g/60, but we'll ignore that his career high is 73 points, and he "played with scrubs".

With Marner it's now primary points, but we'll ignore goals and ignore Tavares.

This is a dangerous way to run a team.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well, one guy came in against his will and won a championship anyway, while the other guy is from here and acting like he won a championship and is bluffing to leave.

Did I cover everything?
LOL. You made some good points, indeed.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

How come Kawhi Leonard is getting nothing but love during his negotiation, but Mitch Marner is getting raked over the coals as a "greedy little kid"?

Mr. Kypreos has a point.
Because Leonard is going to get the maximum contract wherever he goes. It's not about greed or money.

With Marner, he refuses fair market value and wants to set a new market value for players like him.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
That is your argument? A rookie year differential?:help:

the difference between Marner and Matthews was set in their rookie seasons. Since then Matthews has gone on to score like no other in his age group. Meanwhile Marner is no where at the top of anyone lists for any stats.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

Mr. Kypreos has a point.

Kawhi is an unrestricted free agent.
Kawhi is a much higher caliber player than Marner
Kawhi will probably get max dollars anywhere he goes
In the NBA it's easier to manage the cap
The Raptors can afford Kawhi at max without taking away from the team. Where as the higher Marner's $$ is the less $$ we have for Defense, so he's hurting the team.

and most importantly

with Kawhi the Raptors are the f***ing CHAMPIONS!

Kypreos is an idiot. Dont listen to him.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Jesus, your so far in the tank it's not even funny

Aho is a franchise level #1C with less offensively talented teammates who lead his team to the conference finals with not dissimilar offensive numbers

I'd accuse you of tanking your reputation but you don't have one to tank

So? Marner's an RFA not a UFA so Panarin means less than nothing to me

It’s amazing how many posters don’t understand what a UFA and RFA is and the differences between them.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Because Leonard is going to get the maximum contract wherever he goes. It's not about greed or money.

With Marner, he refuses fair market value and wants to set a new market value for players like him.
I'm an old man, but when I was Mitch's age, I had a HUGE ego, and I certainly hadn't accomplish as much as he has.

I think any kid in his position would push the envelope. It's what you do when you are 22.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
If the Leafs walk away from their best player (provided he's offer sheeted), I'll be pissed.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Kawhi is an unrestricted free agent.
Kawhi is a much higher caliber player than Marner
Kawhi will probably get max dollars anywhere he goes
In the NBA it's easier to manage the cap
The Raptors can afford Kawhi at max without taking away from the team. Where as the higher Marner's $$ is the less $$ we have for Defense, so he's hurting the team.

and most importantly

with Kawhi the Raptors are the ****ing CHAMPIONS!

Kypreos is an idiot. Dont listen to him.
Nick Kypreos gets paid big bucks to give his hockey opinion so he's no idiot. Other than that, you make good points.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
it has just been proved that salary has nothing to do with position as I have stated time after time. A center has no more value then a winger or D man or goalie. Being the teams best player determines value.

So why are people still using center as a item when comparing players. A winger is now the second highest paid player in the NHL.
Because there is a very VERY long precedent of centers making more than wingers the vast majority of the time. You may be able to find a few rare examples showing otherwise, but they are exceptions, not rules.

Reactions: mrJT

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I'm an old man, but when I was Mitch's age, I had a HUGE ego, and I certainly hadn't accomplish as much as he has.

I think any kid in his position would push the envelope. It's what you do when you are 22.
It's what any kid would do at 22?

Aho just accepted fair market value. He's the same age.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I agree. It's his life and he has worked hard to get to this position. He should be able to negotiate to the n'th degree if he wants.

Thats Marners choice for sure. But he has to be careful or he may end up sitting without a contract or traded to a bottom feeder getting zero endorsements.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's what any kid would do at 22?

Aho just accepted fair market value. He's the same age.
Okay... maybe not "any" kid, but I know I would have let it go to my head at 22 and I would have also tried to screw the organization that screwed me out of $1M.

At my age now, I'd sign (quickly) and be happy.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Because there is a very VERY long precedent of centers making more than wingers the vast majority of the time. You may be able to find a few rare examples showing otherwise, but they are exceptions, not rules.
The fact that the majority of the best players in the League has always been centers seems to confused the issue. Orr, Howe, Hull and his Son, Kane etc. If you are the best player on your team you will be the highest paid. That has always been the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad