Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Anyone who considers AHO to be a Marner comparable is destroying their own reputation

Jesus, your so far in the tank it's not even funny

Aho is a franchise level #1C with less offensively talented teammates who lead his team to the conference finals with not dissimilar offensive numbers

I'd accuse you of tanking your reputation but you don't have one to tank

It only makes more sense if it fits your narrative. Marner out produced the highest paid winger in the league now as a player still playing under his ELC.

So? Marner's an RFA not a UFA so Panarin means less than nothing to me

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I thought of this as well. Is it really better to get paid so much that you handcuff your team from signing other quality players?
Yup. That's an issue. Unfortunately, the RFA's today are making off like bandits and not thinking about the team.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
lol maybe you should try watching hockey. No way no how is he better.

What a convincing argument

The clearly biased guy just knows, be damned things like teammates, position, similar scoring or leading your franchise through 3 rounds of the playoffs diceman just knows :laugh:

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
All true. Still, in Ontario we pay a ton of taxes - not sure what they pay in Carolina but I bet there is a big difference.

I googled. Ontario provincial tax is 13%. Carolina state tax is 7%. Difference of 6%.
At $8.5M the difference in tax is about $0.51M

Now players only pay that tax in 41 home games. The rest depends on their road games.

So, the actual difference in tax is only half of the $0.51M => $0.255M between Carolina and Ontario.

If we extend this a bit further and compare to a 0% tax state. Then 13% * 8.5M /2 = is about $0.55M in taxes.
People talk like the Leafs have to play $11M to match a Tampa offer of $9M

In reality all the state tax stuff can be managed in half a million dollars.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Hes clearly the better player even though Panarin has produced and outscored him for the entire time Marners been in the NHL? Marner had the edge for 1 season, riding shotgun to a top 10 centre: that doesn't mean hes worth anywhere close to 11 million.

When Marner is a ufa in 5-6 years on his next contract negotiation I expect his cap % will exceed what Panarin just got. But that doesnt mean he deserves that kind of deal immediately finishing his ELC.
That's backwards thinking which is why so many teams have bad contracts on there books. NYR just made a bad contract with Panarin and will be looking to unload it if not buy it out in time. The NHL has been doing business backwards paying for what you once did with UFA not what your actually capable of doing looking to bargain RFA's and have put themselves in cap hell in regards.

Just thought I point that out

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah...that explains Nylander vs Pasta doesn't it?
...Doh

Well... Pastrnak isn't a center... so...

But otherwise, that's the PRECISE consistency I'm looking for.

If Nylander gets paid more for worse numbers because his supporting cast isn't as good as Pastrnaks, I expect that precise same consistency in Marner vs Aho.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I googled. Ontario provincial tax is 13%. Carolina state tax is 7%. Difference of 6%.

Now players only pay that tax in 41 home games. The rest depends on their road games.

So, the actual difference in tax is only half of the $0.51M => $0.255M between Carolina and Ontario.

If we extend this a bit further and compare to a 0% tax state. Then 13% * 8.5M /2 = is about $0.55M in taxes.

But what if you add in Federal Tax?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Not to mention other advantages of playing in a city like Toronto that people like to ignore

Reactions: willmma

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Yup. That's an issue. Unfortunately, the RFA's today are making off like bandits and not thinking about the team.
Wewll,it has to be very disappointing to have a 15 yr career (or whatever) and never win the cup. If it is all for the money,then that is short sighted. I can't be convinced that someone signing a 7 yr deal (for eg) for 70 million dollars is gonna live much worse than a 77 million dollar deal.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
And Aho is better than Marner and just got 8.5, so....
GAR
Marner:18.1, aho:13.6
WAR
Marner:3.1, aho:2.4

EV primary points/60
Marner: 2.9, Aho:1.8

PP primary points/60
Marner 3.5, Aho 2.1

Better at what?

Reactions: MyBudJT

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

If Nylander gets paid more for worse numbers because his supporting cast isn't as good as Pastrnaks, I expect that precise same consistency in Marner vs Aho.

I can’t wait to see your reaction when Marner signs a four year 10.75 million contract with the Leafs. :sarcasm:
:popcorn:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
All true. Still, in Ontario we pay a ton of taxes - not sure what they pay in Carolina but I bet there is a big difference.
Aho signed this deal with Montreal.

Montreal has very similar tax rates as Toronto.

So in comparing him to Marner, none of the usual excuses are there this time . Taxes can't be used. Playing with superior players can't be used. Marner scores more points, Aho more goals. Aho is a center, Marner a winger.

NONE of the excuses can be used this time.

Let's see what Dubas can do.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
GAR
WAR

EV primary points/60

PP primary points/60
Marner 3.5, Aho 2.1

Better at what?

Leading his franchise?
Playing with far worse players?
Leading his team through multiple playoff rounds?
Playing as his teams #1C?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good point.

You have to pay federal tax in both countries.

The highest bracket in the US is 37%
The highest bracket in Canada is 33%

So that is a 4% advantage for us.:thumbu:
LOL.

That's surprising. I would have thought the U.S. was much lower.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If he gets what I think he will get, this place will EXPLODE(!!!) when Marner signs. The venom will be off the charts.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I'm not disputing that Marner had a better supporting cast but the numbers aren't even close when looking at primary points.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
GAR
WAR

EV primary points/60

PP primary points/60
Marner 3.5, Aho 2.1

Better at what?
Being the anti Mitch is all that he is better at. I think many really watch the TV lacking an understanding of what they are watching. Aho is a nice player but is not as good as Mitch. The fact that he signed a stupid deal which will get matched proves he is not as smart as Mitch.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Nick Kypreos just asked on PTS (I'm paraphrasing)...

How come Kawhi Leonard is getting nothing but love during his negotiation, but Mitch Marner is getting raked over the coals as a "greedy little kid"?

Mr. Kypreos has a point.

Reactions: diceman934
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad