Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
So for pretty much two 1-year rentals on defense (slightly longer for Muzzin), the leafs have given up Kadri at a steal for 3 years, a 1st round pick, a 3rd round pick, Grundstrom, Rosen, and Durzi.

I suppose the leafs also got Kerfoot... but still...

wow.

One of them will be re-signed. Leafs can't keep the status quo, they have to mix things up. Get better.

Reactions: Menzinger

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kyle Dubas is literally going to make every move he wants to make and then send a final offer to the Marner camp with whatever he got left :laugh:

Reactions: OddyOh and Leafsman

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Franchise leading 1C
Doesn't play with anybody as good as Tavares
Lead his team through 3 rounds of the playoffs
Scored 83 points during the regular season only 11 less than Marner
Much better goalscorer on his ECL

He's more valuable, he was offersheeted, Marner wasn't

I don't think the league agrees with your assessment
Yeah...I'll pass on your assessment. I already put up numbers. Primary points tell a complete picture. In a few years I cant wait to hear: "do you remember when people thought Aho was better than Marner?"
I can still remember people saying the same crap about Nylander not so long ago.
I have to say I am surprised you actually push this because I believe you actually watch Marner play unlike some around here.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Yeah...I'll pass on your assessment. I already put up numbers. Primary points tell a complete picture. In a few years I cant wait to hear: "do you remember when people thought Aho was better than Marner?"
I can still remember people saying the same crap about Nylander not so long ago.
I have to say I am surprised you actually push this because I believe you actually watch Marner play unlike some around here.

I do, I love the kid but I also watch every other team in the league and I can't place Marner over a genuine franchise level 1C who's the same age surrounded with worse talent and putting up those points totals with that 2way game

I just can't

If Marner jumps ahead I'll eat crow but if I could have either of those kids right now I'd take the PPG 1C

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Franchise leading 1C
Doesn't play with anybody as good as Tavares
Lead his team through 3 rounds of the playoffs
Scored 83 points during the regular season only 11 less than Marner
Much better goalscorer on his ECL

He's more valuable, he was offersheeted, Marner wasn't

I don't think the league agrees with your assessment
Grasping at straws is a thing now I see.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is such a huge fan of Nylander that he is now arguing that Aho is better. Yet every measurable stat states otherwise.

It is sickening the level people will stoop to push a narrative.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Did Aho sign in Toronto? He signed for below his value and in Montreal where he would not be the team’s best player. Marner has been our best player and he wants to be paid as such. In fact I am sure he will take less then our highest contract but not going to sign for a lot less.
I must say you are a really loyal marner fan. You and MyBudJT are just huge marner fans. So much to the point where you like the player more than the maple leafs.

Matthews vs. Marner is a very heated debate for people here. In my opinion I am taking the franchise big centre who can score 50 goals every year. But where does the line need to be drawn? You can't afford marner making that much. This is all about ego at this point. His comparables are coming much cheaper. I am sorry Mitch but you are not a big GOAL scoring center. Our number 1 draft pick. Our future captain. Leafs do not view you as that. I would also guess 90% of the GM's in this league would choose Matthews over Marner every day of the week.

Once he understands this. He will sign and be one of the wealthiest wingers in the league playing with franchise centermen.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I must say you are a really loyal marner fan. You and MyBudJT are just huge marner fans. So much to the point where you like the player more than the maple leafs.

Matthews vs. Marner is a very heated debate for people here. In my opinion I am taking the franchise big centre who can score 50 goals every year. But where does the line need to be drawn? You can't afford marner making that much. This is all about ego at this point. His comparables are coming much cheaper. I am sorry Mitch but you are not a big GOAL scoring center. Our number 1 draft pick. Our future captain. Leafs do not view you as that. I would also guess 90% of the GM's in this league would choose Matthews over Marner every day of the week.

Once he understands this. He will sign and be one of the wealthiest wingers in the league playing with franchise centermen.
My favourite Leaf is Rielly. His picture was my profile picture for over 6 years.

I believe that most GM would choose Mathews over Marner and in hindsight they would have to admit they were wrong. I think Marner is a franchise player always have. He is our best player based on how he has played and his usage.

Panarin just got paid more money and he is not as good a goal scorer as Mathews nor produces as many points as Marner. He is a comparable to Marner.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It is obvious that you were grasping at straws when ask to support a silly opinion and this is just more proof. Nothing to support a claim at all. It is sad.

You are spectacular, I gave a very nice list unfortunately your to much of a homer to even bother reading it

You've lost any semblance of impartiality or objectivity, if he does force his way out of town what will you do? Hold a wake?

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This contract is a huge win for Toronto.

Marner put up 11 more points, while playing with Tavares. Aho is also a center, which is more valuable.

Offer him 8.75 x 5 and call it. He's not worth more than market value because he feels like it. The market has now been set

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The Leafs made excellent trades today, that improved the team a lot and leave them without the cap space (after Ceci and Kerfoot sign) to overpay Marner.
Aho signed a OS for under 8.5M, which should reset the market for players in that range.
Marner did not get an OS.
I would say the day couldn't have been a bigger disaster for the Marner camp in terms of their leverage to try to force an extreme overpay out of the Leafs.
Great day for the Leafs and Dubas.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
My favourite Leaf is Rielly. His picture was my profile picture for over 6 years.

I believe that most GM would choose Mathews over Marner and in hindsight they would have to admit they were wrong. I think Marner is a franchise player always have. He is our best player based on how he has played and his usage.

Panarin just got paid more money and he is not as good a goal scorer as Mathews nor produces as many points as Marner. He is a comparable to Marner.
I must respectfully disagree with your opinion to be honest. Nothing I say will persuade you from thinking Matthews is better (in my opinion....much better as we haven't seen peak Matthews). I believe Matthews having solid wingers like Nylander will show what he can do just like how marner having Tavares can show what he can do.

Panarin signed for 7 yrs compared to Matthews 5 yrs. Matthews would have been 13 mill for 8 yrs. He signed for pretty much the exact same money but more years. Not comparable at all. Also he is a UFA where teams are bidding on him. I would assume marner would have gotten an offer sheet by now for 11 mill. Not sure why he hasn't?

Also, what team would you prefer:

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Kapanen
Mikheyev Kerfoot Bracco
Agostino Spezza Moore

OR

Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kerfoot Nylander
Mikheyev Spezza Kapanen
Agostino Gauthier Moore

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Father started laughing hysterically when the Habs offer sheeted Aho. He was high fiving me saying "they brought Marners cost down! They brought Marners cost down! Thank you Habs!!!" He was so happy I've never seen him quite like that. :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
The only reason you know that aho got a offer sheet is because he signed it maybe others have got one but not signed it

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
f*** mitch, you're not better than aho, at least not by a considerable margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia