Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part X | Will Mitch get an OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
If Marner is meeting with other teams, why don't we meet with other RFA's or UFA's? I have yet to hear anything regarding the leafs being involved in talks with other unsigned players. If he wants to use other teams as leverage, than we can and should do the same right back by approaching big ticket RFA's and UFA's.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
As i said
IN ALL HONESTY WE DONT NEED MARNER
HE IS A LUXURY AT THIS POINT WITH THIS D CORE AND WITH THIS COACH NOT TO MENTION WE NEED A GOOD BACK_UP_GOALIE
Caps or not if the Leafs keep Matthews and Nylander can sign a player: d or a backup but with Matthews and Marner (JT) all making double digits no f***ing way we can adress our weaknesses

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Added to cart:

560.jpg

okaytherepaul

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
an important reminder:

Leafs can't afford Marner's prorated cap hit this year, unlike Nylander.

So the deadline is basically October 1st.

Important reminder: This isn't true.
10m Oct 1 or 10m Dec 1, both require 10 million cap space. As long as we set aside the required space and don't spend into it we're fine

Reactions: TML1990 and biotk

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I don't expect an offer sheet. It just seems farfetched that a team would be willing to give Marner the $11 million AAV it would take for the Leafs to not match AND give up 4 first round picks.

So once the OS ship sails, the Marner camp's leverage evaporates.

Dubas won't squeeze him that much when that happens as he's shown a willingness to pay the stars. So I expect a deal in the neighborhood of $10.5 per, probably for 6 years.

The real question is whether Marner can get over being "disrespected" by the Leafs again. Guys who go fishing for offer sheets tend to not survive with the incumbent team for long. And Marner has shown his true colors as a guy who values "respect" and $$$ over everything. So dressing room issues coming out of this aren't inconceivable.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
As i said
IN ALL HONESTY WE DONT NEED MARNER
HE IS A LUXURY AT THIS POINT WITH THIS D CORE AND WITH THIS COACH NOT TO MENTION WE NEED A GOOD BACK_UP_GOALIE
Caps or not if the Leafs keep Matthews and Nylander can sign a player: d or a backup but with Matthews and Marner (JT) all making double digits no ****ing way we can adress our weaknesses

Backup goalie should not even be in the conversation. We can get a great backup goalie for the savings we get from trading Brown and replacing him with a vet-minimum contract (which looks like it will happen) and by trading Sparks. Marner doesn't stop us from doing that.

If OS is off the table, then Marner loses all of his leverage. If he holds out on top of what already happened, he's losing more money than he'd make by taking a team-friendly deal. I think he'll take July 1 to see if anyone has anything concrete for him and then cave in to the Leafs when he realizes he totally misplayed his hand.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
What if Marner is fine with the money but only wants 5 years like Matthews/Nylander?

Then who gets the blame?

Reactions: ACC1224

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Chances of Mitch:
  • Receiving a 10.6M+ OS - 0%
  • Signing with Toronto 90%
  • Trade 10%

I think trade is high, is say 5% at best

I think there's a better chance of him sitting out this year than us trading him, it's almost impossible to get full value back in this situation

I'd imagine every team does there due diligence and touches base with the RFA'S agents, I doubt it comes to anything however

Offersheets are great in theory, but wildly impractical in "real life"

Added to cart:

560.jpg

okaytherepaul

At least people are having some fun with this **** show, people will forget this but I can't say Marner's strategy makes a lot of sense to me

I'd have just kept my mouth shut and said all this behind closed doors, no need to piss off the fan base unnecessarily

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Important reminder: This isn't true.
10m Oct 1 or 10m Dec 1, both require 10 million cap space. As long as we set aside the required space and don't spend into it we're fine
They're not going to have 10 million in cap space then.

Trust me.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
What if Marner is fine with the money but only wants 5 years like Matthews/Nylander?

Then who gets the blame?
Marner. If he wanted a 5 year contract he should have hurried to the front of the line before Nylander and Matthews got their deals done. That's no longer on the table and that's on the guy who didn't want to negotiate until this season was over.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Marner. If he wanted a 5 year contract he should have hurried to the front of the line before Nylander and Matthews got their deals done. That's no longer on the table and that's on the guy who didn't want to negotiate until this season was over.

Good point. He definitely could have been 1st in line, but decided to be last.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Couldn't the opposite also be said?
If Dubas wanted the 8 year deal he should have signed it last year when he had the chance.

Reactions: CDN24

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Even the premise of it makes no sense.
Teams in tax free markets are able to pay their players less as it nets out the same or greater.
This would be a blessing for the Leafs, they would be able to match a lower valued contract.

Yep agreed. The poster should have used a different lure. The curly tail grubs don't seem to be working. LOL.

Reactions: ACC1224

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Couldn't the opposite also be said?
If Dubas wanted the 8 year deal he should have signed it last year when he had the chance.

If that deal was actually available, then yeah it would be true.

That would have been a crazy overpay at the time though (would look good now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad