Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part IX | OS courting period begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Why are you obsessed with Paul? Did he steal a parking spot from you one morning?

Paul raised a beast of a hockey player that will get paid big money. He's not getting worked up like some people in this thread.
I hope the best for all my hockey friends. As I have said to him over drinks many times once you have Mitch settled then you need to find something to do for yourself.

Reactions: Alerion

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hope the best for all my hockey friends. As I have said to him over drinks many times once you have Mitch settled then you need to find something to do for yourself.

10.5 x 8 is a lot of security but I understand trying to get it down to the 6y and 7y range. That next contract comes in at absolute peak and carries into the viable age range perfectly. For me, it's do the 8 year deal and be a Leafs A or C down the line.

Grapes1

Jul 24, 2014
If he doesn't get an offer sheet and it drags on like Nylander did, a key date in all this is Sept 1 when the NHL can notify the NHLPA that they intend to terminate the current CBA.

This would bring an enormous amount of pressure on Mitch to sign a deal with the leafs who can structure a contract with signing bonuses which are lockout proof.

You would also have to assume, that Mitch would not sign an offer sheet with any other club unless the contract was paid primarily through signing bonuses. This probably eliminates some of the smaller market teams from the potential list of buyout candidates

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
You might wanna look in the Unqualifed RFA's Thread.

Speculation: - Fishing for value - unqualified RFA's

What does this mean? Your saying that 1st Rounders don't pan out? Is this your point?

Let me tell you 1st Round picks hold merit in trade talks. The Leafs can acquire picks to trade to improve. And yes if they choose to hold on to the higher pick. There is a risk that they miss out on a prospect. Has happened to many team and Leafs alike in the past.

But the same way that you point to 1st Rounders being nothing, we can say our issue is with what we drafted in the first round the past 5 years that has us in the position we are in today. Was Marner expected to be this? Nylander? Reilly? Kadri? Kapanen?

When all these players were drafted by their teams, there isn't a guarratee. Closest one we had was Matthews.

But last thing we want to become is the Leafs of the past where they didn't build through the draft.

So getting these assets your right might not be ideal, but sure puts a lot of irons in the fire to keep your team competitive for the long run. I would take my chances.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Does that not happen pretty close to every year ?

Well there are only a few huge market teams.
One in particular hasn't had cap issues in a couple of years
The same one also hasn't had multiple medium and high profile unsigned RFA's

If I'm being too cryptic.......the reason we're hearing more about offer sheets this year, is because the Leafs are a "target" for the first time in a long time.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are you saying we shouldn't expect Mitch to backcheck or support the puck in the dzone because he'll be 'too tired' to play offense?
No I never said that at all. I am saying in the past when Mitch is required to take face offs and play a full complete 200 foot game against another top end centres who are bigger and stronger he struggles in that kinda straight up game. This is a fact it is not my opinion. Go ask his DM coach go ask Hunter and even Paul if he is honest with you. It is not a knock on Mitch but his talents are best served to his team as a rover.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I find most of the discussion laughable. People attempting to justify Mathews over payment yet in the same breath saying Marner is selfish or we should trade him or let him walk if we pay him under what Mathews makes for the same term. He is our best player period. Why would he sign for 10.5 for 8 years when Dubas gave out a 5 year deal for a lot more money to a player who he is better then.

Any amount less per year then Mathews is Marner giving a discount.
People on here need to get a grip.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I find most of the discussion laughable. People attempting to justify Mathews over payment yet in the same breath saying Marner is selfish or we should trade him or let him walk if we pay him under what Mathews makes for the same term. He is our best player period. Why would he sign for 10.5 for 8 years when Dubas gave out a 5 year deal for a lot more money to a player who he is better then.

I think by next season Morgan will be our best player TBH. Marner is on track to be the best though, give you that. Right now it's JT if you're looking at it purely from a 360 degree perspective.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
What does this mean? Your saying that 1st Rounders don't pan out? Is this your point?

Let me tell you 1st Round picks hold merit in trade talks. The Leafs can acquire picks to trade to improve. And yes if they choose to hold on to the higher pick. There is a risk that they miss out on a prospect. Has happened to many team and Leafs alike in the past.

But the same way that you point to 1st Rounders being nothing, we can say our issue is with what we drafted in the first round the past 5 years that has us in the position we are in today. Was Marner expected to be this? Nylander? Reilly? Kadri? Kapanen?

When all these players were drafted by their teams, there isn't a guarratee. Closest one we had was Matthews.

But last thing we want to become is the Leafs of the past where they didn't build through the draft.

So getting these assets your right might not be ideal, but sure puts a lot of irons in the fire to keep your team competitive for the long run. I would take my chances.
I wouldn't.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I don't disagree with your overall premise here that we aren't trading him. We aren't walking away from him. He's going to be a Leaf. The question is just at what number that is going to happen.
But calling him "our best player period" simply isn't the black and white statement you are trying to make it. Marner has an argument for being our best player. So does Matthews. Anyone who states otherwise isn't giving the other their due credit as far as I'm concerned. None of this however changes the facts of the NHL market as it's always been. Centers make more than wingers. Goalscorers make more than playmakers. Marner being paid the same as Matthews, by market comparison, would not be justified, so no, the conclusion that anything below Matthews is a discount isn't valid.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think by next season Morgan will be our best player TBH. Marner is on track to be the best though, give you that. Right now it's JT if you're looking at it purely from a 360 degree perspective.

The fact that we have 4 players that you could legitimately make arguments are best, and are every one of them elite level players, is a testament to how good this core is. People need to do better to not lose sight of this fact. I know how hard that can be with all the cap concerns and drama we're seemingly always mired in.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He is NOT our best player. Why does this myth continue? Both Tavares and Matty take his lunch going straight up against him. He has never been and it is very likely he never will be a 200 foot centre in the NHL. He could not do it in either minor midget or junior so why all of a sudden do you think he can do it at the NHL level. He is best suited as a rover. He can fly to loose pucks and get them and then make plays for offense or defense. This is what makes him special.

Reactions: stopclickbait

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't disagree with your overall premise here that we aren't trading him. We aren't walking away from him. He's going to be a Leaf. The question is just at what number that is going to happen.
But calling him "our best player period" simply isn't the black and white statement you are trying to make it. Marner has an argument for being our best player. So does Matthews. Anyone who states otherwise isn't giving the other their due credit as far as I'm concerned. None of this however changes the facts of the NHL market as it's always been. Centers make more than wingers. Goalscorers make more than playmakers. Marner being paid the same as Matthews, by market comparison, would not be justified, so no, the conclusion that anything below Matthews is a discount isn't valid.

360 it's JT. He makes plays, is up against top C's, scores close to 50G, is not injured much and his nightly performance is most predictable. If that's not your best player what else is? I can tell you... Morgan Rielly 2018-19.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I wouldn't.

Marner isn't the team sorry.

When you have Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Moore at the NHL level already. Losing a Marner upfront will be a loss don't get me wrong, but it will not damage the team as much as everyone is thinking. Signing him to a contract that will cripple the team moving forward is what will damage the team.

If he feels he is worth more then playing with a group of previously mentioned players, all the power to him. To me its not the end of the world.

I see Marner as the object of skill he plays with. Does he succeed as much as he did with Tavares next season playing with Carolina, or NYI, or Buffalo? I don't think so. I really don't. Put him on the first line of a one line team. He gets shut down, and rather easily. That's my take.

He makes the Leafs gifted beyond imagination, don't get me wrong. But I think he has more help then people give the team credit for.

He is not an 11 million dollar player. Sorry he is not.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He is NOT our best player. Why does this myth continue? Both Tavares and Matty take his lunch going straight up against him. He has never been and it is very likely he never will be a 200 foot centre in the NHL. He could not do it in either minor midget or junior so why all of a sudden do you think he can do it at the NHL level. He is best suited as a rover. He can fly to loose pucks and get them and then make plays for offense or defense. This is what makes him special.

Matty is in that 2C role and getting some better looks for it. The injuries as well, going JT @ Forward and Mo @ D but JT takes the crown for being the complete option.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matty is in that 2C role and getting some better looks for it. The injuries as well, going JT @ Forward and Mo @ D but JT takes the crown for being the complete option.

Matthews and Tavares very clearly split the 1C/2C role at different points throughout the year. I don't think it's so black and white as to say 1 is 1st and the other is 2nd. Also, it's not exactly uncommon that one group would get the top defensive mathcup, while they other would be the tougher forward matchup.

I'm gonna be really interested to see how this season goes in terms of Matthews/Tavares split. Especially with Nylander presumably back with Matthews, which should raise the effectiveness of that line. Matthews was all too often an island last season. I like Kapanen and Johnsson, but a number of Matthews' line combinations last year were complete nonsense.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marner isn't the team sorry.

When you have Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Moore at the NHL level already. Losing a Marner upfront will be a loss don't get me wrong, but it will not damage the team as much as everyone is thinking. Signing him to a contract that will cripple the team moving forward is what will damage the team.

If he feels he is worth more then playing with a group of previously mentioned players, all the power to him. To me its not the end of the world.

I see Marner as the object of skill he plays with. Does he succeed as much as he did with Tavares next season playing with Carolina, or NYI, or Buffalo? I don't think so. I really don't. Put him on the first line of a one line team. He gets shut down, and rather easily. That's my take.

He makes the Leafs gifted beyond imagination, don't get me wrong. But I think he has more help then people give the team credit for.

He is not an 11 million dollar player. Sorry he is not.
This is very well stated. It is not meant to put Mitch down it is only the truth. Mitch is special and if he continues to roam like he does on ice we will all be better for it. But put him on Ottawa and then throw him up against Tavares and it is a landslide Tavares win every night.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

The team clearly does not see him as just a 2C. Why else would they give him 11.6x5? They clearly think he is in JTs tier.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Reactions: stopclickbait

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
No I never said that at all. I am saying in the past when Mitch is required to take face offs and play a full complete 200 foot game against another top end centres who are bigger and stronger he struggles in that kinda straight up game. This is a fact it is not my opinion. Go ask his DM coach go ask Hunter and even Paul if he is honest with you. It is not a knock on Mitch but his talents are best served to his team as a rover.
oh ok I misunderstood you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad