Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part IX | OS courting period begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The team clearly does not see him as just a 2C. Why else would they give him 11.6x5? They clearly think he is in JTs tier.

I didn't say he wasn't in that tier. They are both putting up 40+ goals and playing @C. JT is very consistent though and he does not get injured. That's a big thing TBH, he's the best player right now but it could change. Morgan could take yet another step and suddenly we will be talking about a Morgan Rielly 13m deal in 2-3 years or whatever. Matthew could also remain healthy and blow them both out of the water too. Mitch, well, he is the wildcard in this but it's possible.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Gove him a 2 year 7mil per year deal. If he doesn't sign, let him sit tight till Sept.

Get the rest of the team on point.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like it or not Tavares, Matty and Morgan is the core of the team. Everyone else gets sacrificed before them. and I would put Freddy next right now until another kid steps up and shows he can play net.

Reactions: dsred

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Marner isn't the team sorry.

When you have Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Moore at the NHL level already. Losing a Marner upfront will be a loss don't get me wrong, but it will not damage the team as much as everyone is thinking. Signing him to a contract that will cripple the team moving forward is what will damage the team.

If he feels he is worth more then playing with a group of previously mentioned players, all the power to him. To me its not the end of the world.

I see Marner as the object of skill he plays with. Does he succeed as much as he did with Tavares next season playing with Carolina, or NYI, or Buffalo? I don't think so. I really don't. Put him on the first line of a one line team. He gets shut down, and rather easily. That's my take.

He makes the Leafs gifted beyond imagination, don't get me wrong. But I think he has more help then people give the team credit for.

He is not an 11 million dollar player. Sorry he is not.

There's a lot of over-rating Marner going on

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
He is NOT our best player. Why does this myth continue? Both Tavares and Matty take his lunch going straight up against him. He has never been and it is very likely he never will be a 200 foot centre in the NHL. He could not do it in either minor midget or junior so why all of a sudden do you think he can do it at the NHL level. He is best suited as a rover. He can fly to loose pucks and get them and then make plays for offense or defense. This is what makes him special.
Lol rover. Please show me where these players are listed so that I can compare them. He is our best player and has been since mid way through his second season.

You do know that players who do not play center can be a team’s best player. Lots of examples

Reactions: Lauro

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Gove him a 2 year 7mil per year deal. If he doesn't sign, let him sit tight till Sept.

Get the rest of the team on point.

This is an excellent point.

Dubas has a short window to maximize his options to fix other holes. Marner's camp needs to know that the 10M/6 (or similar) offer is only available until July 1. After that it's bridge at < 9M only. 2 years. Use the remaining cap space to plug whatever holes they can. When they are ready to come back and negotiate it's only short term bridge deal on the table and forget about 8 digit's it will be not available to them. Time marches on. Sign now for higher AAV or bridge after July 1.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I don't disagree with your overall premise here that we aren't trading him. We aren't walking away from him. He's going to be a Leaf. The question is just at what number that is going to happen.
But calling him "our best player period" simply isn't the black and white statement you are trying to make it. Marner has an argument for being our best player. So does Matthews. Anyone who states otherwise isn't giving the other their due credit as far as I'm concerned. None of this however changes the facts of the NHL market as it's always been. Centers make more than wingers. Goalscorers make more than playmakers. Marner being paid the same as Matthews, by market comparison, would not be justified, so no, the conclusion that anything below Matthews is a discount isn't valid.
Historically it is the team’s best player that gets paid the most. The center is just that most of the best players are centers.
Howe, Hull both father and son, Orr, Ovi, Kane, etc. Lots of examples.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Historically it is the team’s best player that gets paid the most. The center is just that most of the best players are centers.
Howe, Hull both father and son, Orr, Ovi, Kane, etc. Lots of examples.

Based on what is Mitch the best as of right now though? What solidifies that title in your opinion?

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Matthews got injured for the third time in three years, his production tanked, Dubas paid for his hot start like a fool. If you have shoulder and back issues, you would rush it as quick as possible too. This job is outside Dubas' capacity right now. He should have waited 10 years to do GM work, learn the tricks.
Yet he still leads the league in even strength goals since entering the league. Production tanked my *** lol

Reactions: stopclickbait

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One of a kind commodity doesn't mean what you think it means clearly.

If Marner was a one of a kind commodity, there wouldn't be Taylor Hall, Nikita Kucherov, Patrick Kane, Jamie Benn. All high end wingers that have scored 80+ points a season. Kucherov and Kane alone broke the 100 point barrier each. Marner is not a one of a kind commodity with Tavares scoring his points.

IQ dropped a little after reading your post. I'm finished.
Well, since those players you all listed aren't acquirable in the market place for just cash, yes, players are one of a kind, and therefore unique commodities. There isn't another 90 point right winger that is 22 that is acquirable in the open market. You are buying up different years, and therefore different probabilities of return on production.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
There's a reason Toews makes as much as Kane does while not being even remotely close to as good
Yup, Mitch is not getting Auston money. He just isn't. I say its probably 3 years in the neighbourhood of 9 per. NHL money will probably be higher in three years so Mitch can cash in (although still RFA I believe) and it gets Toronto through the initial crunch.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Well there are only a few huge market teams.
One in particular hasn't had cap issues in a couple of years
The same one also hasn't had multiple medium and high profile unsigned RFA's

If I'm being too cryptic.......the reason we're hearing more about offer sheets this year, is because the Leafs are a "target" for the first time in a long time.

If you think the Leafs are the only target for an offer sheet you are completely lost.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Yup, Mitch is not getting Auston money. He just isn't. I say its probably 3 years in the neighbourhood of 9 per. NHL money will probably be higher in three years so Mitch can cash in (although still RFA I believe) and it gets Toronto through the initial crunch.

My belief is it will either be 4 or 6 years. 5 walks him right to UFA at the same time as Nylander and Matthews, so that's off the table imo and I feel like his camp would understand that. That said, given all of this, who knows lol

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I said check the post lockout history and you said it didn't sound correct, so I don't know what else to tell you.

Leon Draisaitl 6 years
Claude Giroux 3 years
Jakub Voracek 4 years
Nikita Kucherov 3 years
Jeff Skinner 6 years
Blake Wheeler 6 years
James Van Riemsdyk 6 years
Draisaitl's deal is 8 years, and every single one of those outside of Kucherov was signed under the previous CBA. Look at the type of deals under the new CBA. Any young RFA who got paid a significant premium like Matthews (like top 20 salary in the league) signed for 8.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
My belief is it will either be 4 or 6 years. 5 walks him right to UFA at the same time as Nylander and Matthews, so that's off the table imo and I feel like his camp would understand that. That said, given all of this, who knows lol
I can see 6, but think that would need to be done by the 1st. I honestly believe that once the 1st hits the Leafs start plugging holes and then the 10M plus options are off the table (which also means any UFA years will be out of the question).
Not sure why 3 is sticking in my mind but I really see it being 3 years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yup, I dont see too many GMs out there thinking the way HF fans do.

I think a lot of GMs are exploring any and all potential situations and part of that would be talking to MM about his expectations and where he see's himself. It's an opportunity to get to know a player for the future as well and some GM's are absolutely engaged in that dialogue.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Draisaitl's deal is 8 years, and every single one of those outside of Kucherov was signed under the previous CBA. Look at the type of deals under the new CBA. Any young RFA who got paid a significant premium like Matthews (like top 20 salary in the league) signed for 8.

Oh shit, Spotrac got me on a typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->