Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part IX | OS courting period begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019

I don't agree with 13 but i do think he's worth as much as Auston. Matthews is the better scorer but Mitch makes everyone around him way better(just ask Tavares whom he would rather play with) and has a way better engine(kid barely looks tired out there) compared to Matthews and that's very important.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

How would anyone know if he got the offersheet without signing it. I guess he could claim one has been offered, but for peat sake, if someone offers you to be the highest paid player in the NHL, you turn it down?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't agree with 13 but i do think he's worth as much as Auston. Matthews is the better scorer but Mitch makes everyone around him way better(just ask Tavares whom he would rather play with) and has a way better engine(kid barely looks tired out there) compared to Matthews and that's very important.

How good would Matthews look if he had a linemate of Mitch's quality?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
How would anyone know if he got the offersheet without signing it. I guess he could claim one has been offered, but for peat sake, if someone offers you to be the highest paid player in the NHL, you turn it down?

Yeah $13M for 26 goals. You would think Tavares was a fire hydrant Mitch dragged over the 80pt line :laugh: Prust wishes that was real because he would have had been a $6.5m guy back in 2010.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

I think this guy had a few too many concussions.

Forget the $13 mil, just calling him the most dynamic player in a league that features Mcdavid and Mckinnon is idiotic. And passing on a $13 mil offer from a Buffalo only to sign for $11 mil+ here wouldn't exactly make him look like a hero. Whatever gains he makes on the offer sheet sheet he'll lose by losing his dozen+ endorsements, and his entire camp knows this. And we know it too.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
How can we survive with Matthews and Marner making 11.6 each? How many years will we have to waste before the cap rises enough to make those contracts palatable? Matthews contract might be up by the anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me.
This is indeed the big issue. We only have 5 years until Matthews, Rielly, Anderson, Nylander all need new raises and we could have 40+% of our cap tied up in 3 forwards. Trading Nylander doesnt fix that issue so as we wait for the cap to rise enough to get back more depth we run the risk of not being able to afford the next wave of contracts.

Marner can't get Matthews money on the Toronto Maple Leafs with Matthews and Jt on the team.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
How can we survive with Matthews and Marner making 11.6 each? How many years will we have to waste before the cap rises enough to make those contracts palatable? Matthews contract might be up by the anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me.

By the time it does, both will be reset to the top if the pay charts. It'll be something like 8-9 years before we see them as value deals.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
So Mitch is the guy that makes everybody better on that line? Are you sure?

Bozak/JvR and Tavares only had slightly boosted point totals playing with Marner vs other players.

Tavares has a 10 year history of making his linemates substancially better. I'm not saying Marner isn't great but I think a lot of people have it backwards as to who the impact player on that line is.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

We can not afford both of them at 11.6. They have very little chance to outperform their contracts. Just performing up to them would be a huge challenge.

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad