Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part IX | OS courting period begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Marner isn't the team sorry.

When you have Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hyman, Moore at the NHL level already. Losing a Marner upfront will be a loss don't get me wrong, but it will not damage the team as much as everyone is thinking. Signing him to a contract that will cripple the team moving forward is what will damage the team.

If he feels he is worth more then playing with a group of previously mentioned players, all the power to him. To me its not the end of the world.

I see Marner as the object of skill he plays with. Does he succeed as much as he did with Tavares next season playing with Carolina, or NYI, or Buffalo? I don't think so. I really don't. Put him on the first line of a one line team. He gets shut down, and rather easily. That's my take.

He makes the Leafs gifted beyond imagination, don't get me wrong. But I think he has more help then people give the team credit for.

He is not an 11 million dollar player. Sorry he is not.
I never said he was an 11 million dollar player. What I did say was I don't want 4 draft picks because the chances of getting another Mitch is remote. If he's going to continue to be unrealistic in his demands and in the rare chance he gets an offer sheet I'm negotiating with the offering team to see what I can get off their roster.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
They are not the only target.....but how much do you hear about Point, or Rattanen compared to Marner (and AJ & Kap prior to last weekend)

Exactly, this is one of those Toronto media things, Trying to generate as many clicks as possible.

Do you honestly think teams wouldn't prefer Point ? and you think that Tampa isn't close to the Cap with more RFAs next year as well ?

Offersheeting Point makes way more sense then Marner, but all we hear about is Marner.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Things are going to get really scary in 2022 when we need to resign Rielly.

The trajectory hes going at, he could easily get a 8-9+ million dollar deal.

Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Rielly is going to cost us close to like 45 million in cap space

:eek:

Cap better go up a decent amout or our roster will be ridiculously top heavy.
8-9?

Try 11-12 lol.

Reactions: weems

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Exactly, this is one of those Toronto media things, Trying to generate as many clicks as possible.

Do you honestly think teams wouldn't prefer Point ? and you think that Tampa isn't close to the Cap with more RFAs next year as well ?

Offersheeting Point makes way more sense then Marner, but all we hear about is Marner.

Point doesn't have a Dreger :)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I never said he was an 11 million dollar player. What I did say was I don't want 4 draft picks because the chances of getting another Mitch is remote. If he's going to continue to be unrealistic in his demands and in the rare chance he gets an offer sheet I'm negotiating with the offering team to see what I can get off their roster.

The picks have more value in trade than in development anyways (as of RFA and UFA contracts harmonizing in value).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad