Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part IX | OS courting period begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Marner apparently looking for an offersheet from a state with less taxes, and will be adjusting his ask up based on playing in Ontario
LOL. It's really no longer about hockey for him, is it? Just wants to win. Take a step back, kid. Sign a good deal and enjoy the ride. Sheesh.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Draisaitl's deal is 8 years, and every single one of those outside of Kucherov was signed under the previous CBA. Look at the type of deals under the new CBA. Any young RFA who got paid a significant premium like Matthews (like top 20 salary in the league) signed for 8.

Thank you. I was thinking McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, etc. There was a graphic showing how all his comparables signed for 8 years. I can't find it though.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
As he should.

Marner apparently looking for an offersheet from a state with less taxes, and will be adjusting his ask up based on playing in Ontario

This makes no sense.

He can only sign an offer sheet for one of these teams. An offer that would be less than in other markets based on the fact that there is no state income tax.

The Leafs would then match the offer, and Marner would have a contract based in Ontario with a much higher tax rate than the same contract in say Florida.

I don't know. On one had it feels like I must be missing something...on the other hand, when considering the source and it's lack of proof, maybe I'm not missing anything.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If you think the Leafs are the only target for an offer sheet you are completely lost.
They are not the only target.....but how much do you hear about Point, or Rattanen compared to Marner (and AJ & Kap prior to last weekend)

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
IN ALL HONESTY WE DONT NEED MARNER
HE IS A LUXURY AT THIS POINT WITH THIS D CORE AND WITH THIS COACH NOT TO MENTION WE NEED A GOOD BACK_UP_GOALIE

Reactions: biotk

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Don't the rules dictate that as soon as Marner signs an offer sheet, that all the Leafs need to do is match the AAV and the term? How does Marner sign a sheet and end up with the Leafs for more $$?

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I saw Mitch Marner in a grocery store in Toronto yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw Mitch trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen bags of skittles in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bags and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Things are going to get really scary in 2022 when we need to resign Rielly.

The trajectory hes going at, he could easily get a 8-9+ million dollar deal.

Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Rielly is going to cost us close to like 45 million in cap space

:eek:

Cap better go up a decent amout or our roster will be ridiculously top heavy.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
It is my opinion that there is a concerted effort endorsed by the NHLPA to "break" the RFA system. On the other side is a concerted counter effort by the clubs to not allow that to happen.

There will be another work stoppage soon. It's inevitable.
These guys should all be eligible for arbitration under the next CBA, these disputes lasting into training camp or even the regular season is ridiculous and doesn't make anyone look good

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This makes no sense.

He can only sign an offer sheet for one of these teams. An offer that would be less than in other markets based on the fact that there is no state income tax.

The Leafs would then match the offer, and Marner would have a contract based in Ontario with a much higher tax rate than the same contract in say Florida.

I don't know. On one had it feels like I must be missing something...on the other hand, when considering the source and it's lack of proof, maybe I'm not missing anything.

That's a fair point.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Don't the rules dictate that as soon as Marner signs an offer sheet, that all the Leafs need to do is match the AAV and the term? How does Marner sign a sheet and end up with the Leafs for more $$?

Yeah that whole basis is off the wall absurd. But, unsurprisingly, the usual suspects loved the idea of Marner screwing the Leafs in a way that isn't even possible.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Things are going to get really scary in 2022 when we need to resign Rielly.

The trajectory hes going at, he could easily get a 8-9+ million dollar deal.

Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Rielly is going to cost us close to like 45 million in cap space

:eek:

Cap better go up a decent amout or our roster will be ridiculously top heavy.

If rielly replicates last season, he'll use EK as a comparable. Today I would pay rielly more than EK. In three years, that number could easily be $14M per.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->