Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
Marner did kind of suck though but the whole what about Nylander bit is just so perfect. Let's not forget the dumb penalty that allowed a goal that pretty well ended the game.
We get reminded that the wins and losses are unimportant to certain individuals as long as their guy can stand tall as the bestest ever.
Team dynamics be damneď.

That game turned on a dime when Willy lazily flopped the puck over the glass while completely unpressured.

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Problem with Mitch is everything has to be fancy, he's gotta showcase skill in everything he does. He can't simply make a pass, it's gotta go behind the back or between the legs. Can't receive a pass normal, it has to be with his skates as he lands a triple axel lol.

Relax Mitch, we get it, you're good. No need to overdo it.
Marner was over penetrating the ozone with little help. Often one deke too many. The line's team chemistry was completely off...and yes part of it was on Marner.
What hasnt been talked about is that part of it was on Keefe by giving Thornton too much rope in the game. He really was off very early and that cant be allowed to stand. We arent talking about judgement failures on Thorntons part but very basic compete failures. Best to move him to a lower line until he worked it out.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Marner did kind of suck though but the whole what about Nylander bit is just so perfect. Let's not forget the dumb penalty that allowed a goal that pretty well ended the game.
We get reminded that the wins and losses are unimportant to certain individuals as long as their guy can stand tall as the bestest ever.
Team dynamics be damneď.
I love but Mitch but I'm sorry, had he flipped the puck over rather than Nylander it would have been crickets. "Just an unfortunate puck flip accident". But that is the type of thing Willy detractors are waiting to pounce on. Willy did it, so it's bad and so is he. It has become an embarrassing mob-like mentality at this point.

If that puck over the boards eliminated everything he did since the Calgary game, then I don't know what to say.

I saw Twitter saying the loss is his fault. Hey maybe kill the penalty and win the game. Maybe not cause all the errors that led to the 3rd and 4th goals. Maybe its the team's fault and not just his. But no we need one guy to blame so let's pick the whipping boy chosen years ago by a few loud media members so we can all point fingers together as one biased mob.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Bonehead penalties but you gotta kill em and when they get awarded PPs they have to bury them.

Demko was a star again. Kudos to VAN they played well didn't give the boys much and did a much better job shutting them down than the Oilers.

Penguins fan turned into Leafs fan for a couple hours. Let’s get these motherf***ers! :laugh:

CF96295-B-D6-DF-47-F7-AAF7-4067-FD995325.jpg

I did not expect the outcome either tbh, I bet 30K sbcash and picked Leafs in regulation.

You should've cashed out early :laugh:

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He was way off last night, no question. I’ve been expecting the top line to go through a rough patch, it’s inevitable.

The fact it always leads to a Willie comparison with some is a “tell” and frankly they’re irrelevant to any discussion.

Yeah the Willie thing does get old, for sure!

I think it stems from the LeaFlanders brigade and that obsession that plagues them of who's best! It wasn't that long ago that it was raging like an out of control grass fire. They were so sure that Willie was the answer and definitely a better player then Mitch, same people who have made the act of scoring a goal the most valuable of valuables. It is valuable no doubt you can't win without the guy who deposits the puck behind the goalie, but 99 out of 100 the set-up is the most important factor

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I love but Mitch but I'm sorry, had he flipped the puck over rather than Nylander it would have been crickets. "Just an unfortunate puck flip accident". But that is the type of thing Willy detractors are waiting to pounce on. Willy did it, so it's bad and so is he. It has become an embarrassing mob-like mentality at this point.

If that puck over the boards eliminated everything he did since the Calgary game, then I don't know what to say.

I saw Twitter saying the loss is his fault. Hey maybe kill the penalty and win the game. Maybe not cause all the errors that led to the 3rd and 4th goals. Maybe its the team's fault and not just his. But no we need one guy to blame so let's pick the whipping boy chosen years ago by a few loud media members so we can all point fingers together as one biased mob.
I didnt see willy getting disproportionate criticism to Marners bad plays. There will always be haters but the person who raised Marner vs Willy after last night's game is a known Marner hater and a Nylander apologist. He has done more on this site to fuel a "get Willy" mob than anything that Willy could have done.
I believe a collection of mistakes were made by a lot of players. I'm ok with individual criticism but the willy vs Marner thing is getting old and some of the Matthews looked hurt and Marner looked shit thing is so juvenile.
If Matthews is hurt, he should sit or he will look like shit like everyone else did.
Marner looked like shit, Nylander had a really shit brainfart that caused a critical goal.
Rielly looked like shit.
In fact I dont like how any of the d did.
I'll leave it to you to count the number of times Marner was criticized over Nylander in the game thread. You might be surprised at the count.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Yup. It's quite embarassing but common at this point.
Not sure if a certain portion of the Marner fans want to prove Nylander is the worst, or just want to defend their boy, but it's sad.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Just looking at stats of Marner away from Matthews.
CF%: 35.37
SCF%: 38.37
HDCF%: 15.15
xGF%: 32.33
TOI: 85 minutes

So these are awful numbers. The sample size is pretty high too. Marner has looked lost when not paired with Matthews.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Bonehead penalties but you gotta kill em and when they get awarded PPs they have to bury them.

Demko was a star again. Kudos to VAN they played well didn't give the boys much and did a much better job shutting them down than the Oilers.

I did not expect the outcome either tbh, I bet 30K sbcash and picked Leafs in regulation.

You should've cashed out early :laugh:
I cashed out when Vancouver tied it up in the 3rd :laugh: Felt like Demko was gonna steal it! It was a nice game

Reactions: CanadasTeam

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Well Marner 's play this season has been far better than Nylander ( same as Matthews has been far better then Tavares) Consequently Marner can be more easily forgiven for the occasional bad play or game.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
John Tavares had the best season of his career playing with Mitch Marner.

Trolls be trolling.
Seemed like Tavares could make anyone look elite until he paired up with Willy.
Many of Willys fan club talked incessantly about how JT carried mitch. What happened?

Reactions: Garthinater

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
One thing this is showing is that line going has more to do with Matthews carrying it then Mitch.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Many of Willys fan club talked incessantly about how JT carried mitch. What happened?
JT scored 12 more even strength goals with Marner than in any other season, it was exceptional.

It’s incredible to me how quickly we can turn here. Marner looked like shit last night, he was too cute and careless, disjointed. He’s also cooled off the last few. I actually deleted a post predicting this nonsense when he cooled down, because I knew he would. It’s a long season, every player ebbs and flows, Matthews included. All I ask is work ethic remain while you’re fighting it and a proven commodity gets slack with me.

If people want to go out of their way to slag a guy who may very well be bronzed one day, have it at, but you’ll look a complete fool....as you repeatedly have over the years. Who cheers against a talent like Marner? Man.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

I thought Nylander and Tavares were good together in the back half of last year.

Just to add on to that, it’s not Willy making them look bad lmao everyone can see Tavares has been off

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I thought Nylander and Tavares were good together in the back half of last year.

Just to add on to that, it’s not Willy making them look bad lmao everyone can see Tavares has been off
JT and Willie were good together last year, recall all the posts here about their amazing chemistry. I can see it returning of late, they seem to be clicking much better.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Line and team winning without matthews.
Last time mitch was hurt, the team had trouble winning.

Small sample size. Wasn't Mitch injured during the Babcock mutiny?

I'll take Mitch over Willie, but this team is not going anywhere without it's big goal sccoring franchise C.

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Small sample size. Wasn't Mitch injured during the Babcock mutiny?

I'll take Mitch over Willie, but this team is not going anywhere without it's big goal sccoring franchise C.
Losses began immediately when mitch was injured. Playing comparisons, the leafs were winning in a huge way when Willy was sitting out for a contract and started to lose when he returned. It sure doesnt seem that willy helped Matthews game.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Losses began immediately when mitch was injured. Playing comparisons, the leafs were winning in a huge way when Willy was sitting out for a contract and started to lose when he returned. It sure doesnt seem that willy helped Matthews game.

Willie is a nice supporting piece but he is not a player you hitch the cart to. Matty, Mitch and JT are. That is not a slight on Willie, as you need a couple of these players to win a SC or two (see Phil Kessel and the Pens).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad