Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He needs to shoot more. Mitch actually has a good shot now. Took Allen by surprise
His shot is much stronger now, I wish he’d defer less to Matthews at times, but given he’s the best at his craft, it’s hard to argue. He gives up more prime A chances than anyone else I’ve seen. He’s easily a consistent 35 a year guy with just a hint of selfishness.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Said this in the GDT and its been said here already but... I think one of the best parts of this season has been Marner developing a well above-average shot. He's a shooting threat you have to respect now. And with 20G in a shortened season, it's something he'll make you pay for if you don't respect it.

Agreed, also.

I still think his defensive game is criminally underestimated. I have seen that man single handedly break up so many plays, he plays PK, because he's a winger i doubt he'll ever get the respect he deserves.

He better get some selke votes.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Agreed, also.

I still think his defensive game is criminally underestimated. I have seen that man single handedly break up so many plays, he plays PK, because he's a winger i doubt he'll ever get the respect he deserves.

He better get some selke votes.

Agreed.

The numbers don't lie. Just look at his ice time. He's used in literally every situation. 5-on-5, PP, PK, closing out games, OT.

Still think he could be a little bit better at knowing when to make the simple play vs when to make a highlight reel play but I'm sure he'll keep getting better at that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Said this in the GDT and its been said here already but... I think one of the best parts of this season has been Marner developing a well above-average shot. He's a shooting threat you have to respect now. And with 20G in a shortened season, it's something he'll make you pay for if you don't respect it.

I think when you’re dealing with elite level talent that your franchise is built around it’s always important for them to diversify their skills and become more and more in pursuit of their championship and individual goals. I never understood it when guys like Laine were scoring goals at huge volume and fans would say “why would he need to be better in X, Y, Z, 40 goal scorers don’t grow on trees.” Always gets better.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I think when you’re dealing with elite level talent that your franchise is built around it’s always important for them to diversify their skills and become more and more in pursuit of their championship and individual goals. I never understood it when guys like Laine were scoring goals at huge volume and fans would say “why would he need to be better in X, Y, Z, 40 goal scorers don’t grow on trees.” Always gets better.
I only watched a few games of Winnipeg Laine and I came away impressed only with his shot and size and absolutely nothing else.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Marner is the complete package. He covers on the point when the D go on offensive forays, back checks ferociously, fore checks, heck he just does everything the right way. He is the antithesis to a guy like kissle.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
LOL. I’m a huuuuuuge nylander homer and can confidently say from their 2nd full years and on, Marner is hands down better. I like Willy, but saying he’s better then Mitch is silly

Nylander still has quite a bit of untapped production potential. He’s a guy you look at making high end skill plays and it always looks like his numbers haven’t caught up to his abilities. I wouldn’t rule out 82-85 points in a career year. On a team like the Montreal Canadiens he would be head and shoulders above anyone else as their go to player.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I only watched a few games of Winnipeg Laine and I came away impressed only with his shot and size and absolutely nothing else.

Agreed. He’s never really shown anything other than his shot and comes with a massive frame. Those things will always imply a lot more capacity.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Nylander still has quite a bit of untapped production potential. He’s a guy you look at making high end skill plays and it always looks like his numbers haven’t caught up to his abilities. I wouldn’t rule out 82-85 points in a career year.
I feel like a perfect storm season would be that case. Taking a look at this year, he had a hot start (12 in 11) but then he went on a 14 in 26 drought, before nicely rebounding with 15 in 12. If Nylander and Tavares can have a special season together, then it’s definitely possible, but I’d say 75-77 points is a nice peak for him

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Definitely. I feel like previously, he forced the pass too much, made his game more predictable and lead to bad turnovers. But his shot is significantly more dangerous this year, and it sort of settles down his game, makes it more dangerous and press predictable.

Interestingly, his shots/game are very similar this year to the last 2 years, even though it feels to me like he’s shooting more. I do think his shot is more effective now, and it does seem like he’s shooting earlier in the play this year, vs. doing it as more of a last option. Career high in shooting percentage by a decent margin, and I think it’s been an improvement in his shot, not luck.

Overall, his best season to date. Improved shot, improved decision making/care with the puck, improved defensive game. He’s a stud, absolutely one of the best wingers in the league.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner is the complete package. He covers on the point when the D go on offensive forays, back checks ferociously, fore checks, heck he just does everything the right way. He is the antithesis to a guy like kissle.
Good eyes, notice how quickly he recognizes when a D man is about to pinch, he’s already on the move, lightning quick responsibility. Coaches must love watching tape of him.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Good eyes, notice how quickly he recognizes when a D man is about to pinch, he’s already on the move, lightning quick responsibility. Coaches must love watching tape of him.
There's really only one area I'd say he needs to improve defensively and that's when he's the guy covering for the point man, and even this area is quite a bit better this year than last season.

When he fills in for the point man he has a tendency to go puck hunting and try to pick off the outlet, he's great at it but when it gets by him he's going the wrong way and giving up a long 2 on 1. It's a pretty small thing really but recognizing when to back off and just keep the play in front of him is something for him to work on and should continue to improve with experience.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Nylander still has quite a bit of untapped production potential. He’s a guy you look at making high end skill plays and it always looks like his numbers haven’t caught up to his abilities. I wouldn’t rule out 82-85 points in a career year. On a team like the Montreal Canadiens he would be head and shoulders above anyone else as their go to player.
Really what do you suppose they would give us for him ?

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Best assumption would be that he’s the most banged-up of our top players so Keefe gave him the night off since he could only give 1 person the day off bc cap reasons

Thanks.

It was a bad give away in ot by marner but I didn't think keefe would sit him for it lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad