Mitch “Magic” Marner Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Shilton says sometimes you forgot about Marner because he’s just so consistently great over his career, you just expect it.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
What?

Marner is pacing for 102 points, 28 goals.
Rantanen is pacing for 103 points, 51 goals.

How in the world are we arguing Marner is better this year? Even the /60 stats favor Rantanen overall.

Jesus Murphy...

I think the problem is people take "Rantanen is better this year" as "Marner trash and should be traded".

Marner's been incredible this year. Rantanen has just been even better.
If the puck goes in, it goes in.
I don’t care that rantanen scores more goals, because Marner gets way more assists. Goals aren’t any better than assists. Rantanen is a 51 goal scorer nice, how about marners 74 assists. Marner is a top 5 playmaker in the league I’ve the past 3 year he’s done his job superbly. Also going by their p/60 being close while rantanen having a significant higher g/60, wouldn’t that mean that Marner has a significantly higher a/60. Trying to compare a playmaker and goal scorer, whilst mainly only looking at goal scoring stats is biased.

Reactions: Garthinater

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If the puck goes in, it goes in.
I don’t care that rantanen scores more goals, because Marner gets way more assists. Goals aren’t any better than assists. Rantanen is a 51 goal scorer nice, how about marners 74 assists. Marner is a top 5 playmaker in the league I’ve the past 3 year he’s done his job superbly. Also going by their p/60 being close while rantanen having a significant higher g/60, wouldn’t that mean that Marner has a significantly higher a/60. Trying to compare a playmaker and goal scorer, whilst mainly only looking at goal scoring stats is biased.
Kane is pacing for the same amount of points/82 as Matthews. So is Panarin. Would you say they’re having as good a season as Matthews?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Mitch has been nothing short of elite this year. He is an exceptional player. I think he often gets lost in the discussion with Auston, but Mitch is every bit as important to this team as Auston. To me they are the 2 headed monster that are going to lead us as far as they take us. I think what is so awesome is that these 2 are both among the hardest working players on the Leafs. They never take a shift off. Truly fortunate to have these guys as Leafs

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Just wanted to point out to those who thought he wasn't a kane comparable that Marner is 3 points behind Kane in the same year after playing 31 less games.
Career...Marner 1.01 PPG....Kane (at the same time of his career) was .925ppg.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Kane is pacing for the same amount of points/82 as Matthews. So is Panarin. Would you say they’re having as good a season as Matthews?
First of all, Kane is not on pace for the same as Matthews
Kane is on pace for 99
Matthews is on pace for 109
Secondly, Kane is a winger Matthews is a center
Thirdly, Kane is a defensive liability, Matthews is not
In Kane’s defence though, he doesn’t have a Marner, but he does have Debrincat who has 48 in 47(84 pace)
As for panarin, this I see as pretty close IMO
Panarin is on pace for 112
Matthews in on pace for 109
Winger vs Center
Defensively, both are strong
Panarin plays with strome and Buchnevich I think both are 70+ point players, but Matthews plays with Marner who’s a 100+ Point player
Hart voting might not be close due to standings but I think it should be closer.
I don’t think 3 points should seperate their seasons this year, even if Matthews is on pace for 66 goals. Panarin is on pace for 78 assists
I’d say Kane < Matthews == Panarin

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
First of all, Kane is not on pace for the same as Matthews
Kane is on pace for 99
Matthews is on pace for 109
Secondly, Kane is a winger Matthews is a center
Thirdly, Kane is a defensive liability, Matthews is not
In Kane’s defence though, he doesn’t have a Marner, but he does have Debrincat who has 48 in 47(84 pace)
As for panarin, this I see as pretty close IMO
Panarin is on pace for 112
Matthews in on pace for 109
Winger vs Center
Defensively, both are strong
Panarin plays with strome and Buchnevich I think both are 70+ point players, but Matthews plays with Marner who’s a 100+ Point player
Hart voting might not be close due to standings but I think it should be closer.
I don’t think 3 points should seperate their seasons this year, even if Matthews is on pace for 66 goals. Panarin is on pace for 78 assists
I’d say Kane < Matthews == Panarin
I’m cool with this. At least you’re consistent.

I simply value goals more than you. As such, I think matthews is having a significantly better season than Panarin. And Rantanen is having a significantly better season than Marner.

It seems in the Matthews threads here everyone values goals more than points. And in Marner threads everyone values points equally as goals. That inconsistency frustrates me at a level beyond insanity.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just wanted to point out to those who thought he wasn't a kane comparable that Marner is 3 points behind Kane in the same year after playing 31 less games.
Career...Marner 1.01 PPG....Kane (at the same time of his career) was .925ppg.

Patrick Kane’s legend is built on clutch playoff performances and being in the drivers seat when the pressure is on against checking clubs like the prime 2010s LA Kings. So Marner’s task in matching Kane is playoff success.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I’m cool with this. At least you’re consistent.

I simply value goals more than you. As such, I think matthews is having a significantly better season than Panarin. And Rantanen is having a significantly better season than Marner.

It seems in the Matthews threads here everyone values goals more than points. And in Marner threads everyone values points equally as goals. That inconsistency frustrates me at a level beyond insanity.
Fair enough, if you want to value goals more then assists that’s fine. Personally just value them equal but I do see what you are saying around here and it is better to stick to one thing

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Honestly why does Marner's and any of the other big players contracts matter at this point?

People the leafs just wrecked the shit out of the North Division. All our big 4 produced really well. Who cares if some other guys are making a bit less producing similar?

I got it last year where we drastically underperformed as a whole and had team issues. This year though? It's been the easiest season I've seen as a fan.

We get to enjoy pure dominance most games and our superstars are all playing great.

This team is the 3rd best team in the league imo after Bolts and Avs. We have a huge shot at the cup. If we win a cup will we still complain about marner making 10.9M? It's time to enjoy. We are about to begin our quest for the cup. Marner/Matthews etc will be pivotal in leading us there.

Enjoy the greatest leaf team in 30 years and the 2 best leaf players since Gilmour's insane 93 season.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Mitch pass inventor needs to stop going for the highlight reel play. Simple doesn't exist for him. That 2 on 0 was an embarassment. So far again when Matthews is on, Marner is too. When Matthews isn't, Marner isn't either. Marner should do something without 34 beside him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Mitch pass inventor needs to stop going for the highlight reel play. Simple doesn't exist for him. That 2 on 0 was an embarassment. So far again when Matthews is on, Marner is too. When Matthews isn't, Marner isn't either. Marner should do something without 34 beside him.

Trying too hard to get Matthews #40

ALine

May 14, 2012
Marner, you've been making me yell shooot at the teeeveee and my housemates would like you to make me stop doing that, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->