Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXX - 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah if he wasn’t a tyrant with his rules with players. He was also part of the problem wanting safe players in FA and trades.
He also treated certain members of the alumni like ****.
But yeah otherwise he is fine.
If you’re referring to the pizza thing, I really don’t see a problem there. They can eat whatever they want on their own time but if they want unhealthy food it’s not the teams responsibility to provide it.

I couldn’t possibly care less about the alumni. They’re irrelevant to the current teams ability to win games.

And which safe players? The bottom 6 placeholders?

Point is, when it comes to the most important things that a GM is responsible for, he does a pretty good job on most of them.
Is he a dick? Sounds like it.
Is he perfect? Far from it.
But you could still do a lot worse if you’re a team looking for a new GM.

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
IMO Minnesota would be foolish to look passed Hextall. Just sit on him a bit and hope he learned a little about managing people and coaches.
they're looking for a quick fix rather than waiting 7 years for a 5 year plan to come to fruition

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall was a joke his last 2 years here. Every second he didnt fire Hak his stock dropped further and further. The fact that he was an insular ******* behind the scenes is just icing on the **** cake.
No argument here, there was a lot of bad, but we also have quite a bit of good things to thank him for too.

That’s what I’m more focused on because all the bad things he did were easy to fix and are already gone, while the good is still here.

So it really comes down to deciding the importance of each aspect of the job, weighing the net impact, and comparing that to other available guys.

Reactions: ellja3

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
If they are singing praises about flahr why isn't he a candidate then? Hexy in Minnesota would be something like Rask at 2c, Koivu traded and Spurgeon unlikely to resign. They are coming out of a year where they had 83 points and are only getting older, there's really not much anyone could to for them right now.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Yeah if he wasn’t a tyrant with his rules with players. He was also part of the problem wanting safe players in FA and trades.
He also treated certain members of the alumni like ****.
But yeah otherwise he is fine.
In other words he isn't a good gm. Lot of his praise stems from the drafting, but somehow we managed to do fine even with him gone.

Reactions: Rebels57

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If you’re referring to the pizza thing, I really don’t see a problem there. They can eat whatever they want on their own time but if they want unhealthy food it’s not the teams responsibility to provide it.

I couldn’t possibly care less about the alumni. They’re irrelevant to the current teams ability to win games.

And which safe players? The bottom 6 placeholders?

Point is, when it comes to the most important things that a GM is responsible for, he does a pretty good job on most of them.
Is he a dick? Sounds like it.
Is he perfect? Far from it.
But you could still do a lot worse if you’re a team looking for a new GM.

I agree he drafted well. But other than that I was pretty meh with him. So we will agree to disagree

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree he drafted well. But other than that I was pretty meh with him. So we will agree to disagree
Sure, agree to disagree. This is definitely a topic where opinions vary, depending on what you value in a GM and how you grade them.

But just to kinda explain where I'm coming from, I'd argue that he also did a really good job with clearing up the cap situation, giving out contracts, and getting incredible value in trades.

Reactions: Stizzle

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No argument here, there was a lot of bad, but we also have quite a bit of good things to thank him for too.

That’s what I’m more focused on because all the bad things he did were easy to fix and are already gone, while the good is still here.

So it really comes down to deciding the importance of each aspect of the job, weighing the net impact, and comparing that to other available guys.

Ill thank him in the future after real success thanks to his players, just like I did with Ed Wade. Until then, all I remember is this:

ZHGOA4TXP5FCRGA3ZEWUHMSO7M.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hextall's patience, drafting and most of the selling moves he made, were great. But when it came to adding current NHLers to the team and decisions on coaching, he failed.

Hextall said he wanted to rebuild without tanking. Thenn the end, we traded/moved everyone but 3 roster players anyways. Should have traded Simmonds when he actually had value similar to Schenn. Imagine having another Frost and another Farabee kicking around. Biggest wasted opportunity.

For a team that actually WANTS to rebuild and focus on building their prospect pool up, he is a good hire. Just tell him winning is 2ndary for 3 years.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ill thank him in the future after real success thanks to his players, just like I did with Ed Wade. Until then, all I remember is this:

View attachment 248383
I know you mean team success, and that's understandable, but his players have already found individual success and have positively contributed to the team.

We're already definitely better off with them than without them. And of course there's plenty more who are on the way.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Those rankings seem low...

What more could Frost have possibly done the last two years? Other than getting drafted higher, giving him more name recognition and hype?
Love Frost as a player but whats his realistic ceiling? Top end 2C?
Who was drafted to a team in managerial turmoil for the last yr and a half and mired in mediocrity for the last 7.

It doesnt surprise me our prospects dont get much ink.
Gotta win some to get anyone outside the market to care.
If/when our turnaround comes it'll hit the natl media like a collapsed star falling to earth.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Who was drafted to a team in managerial turmoil for the last yr and a half and mired in mediocrity for the last 7.

If/when our turnaround comes it'll hit the natl media like a collapsed star falling to earth.
Ceiling? I think he definitely has 1C potential.

I'm not guaranteeing he'll reach that, obviously, but if we're talking about ultimate ceiling then I think that has to be it.

He really has no weaknesses in his game that you could point to as to why he couldn't be a 1C... he has tons of skill, he's great skater, and he's a smart player too.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Hextall's patience, drafting and most of the selling moves he made, were great. But when it came to adding current NHLers to the team and decisions on coaching, he failed.

Hextall said he wanted to rebuild without tanking. Thenn the end, we traded/moved everyone but 3 roster players anyways. Should have traded Simmonds when he actually had value similar to Schenn. Imagine having another Frost and another Farabee kicking around. Biggest wasted opportunity.

For a team that actually WANTS to rebuild and focus on building their prospect pool up, he is a good hire. Just tell him winning is 2ndary for 3 years.

He executed damn near perfectly until it was time to make the jump to contender. Part of him holding onto Simmonds had to have been a calculated risk that they were right there to opening the window and he wanted simmer part of the team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He executed damn near perfectly until it was time to make the jump to contender. Part of him holding onto Simmonds had to have been a calculated risk that they were right there to opening the window and he wanted simmer part of the team.
Scary thought...wanted Simmer for longer. Wanted Hakstol longer.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Ceiling? I think he definitely has 1C potential.

I'm not guaranteeing he'll reach that, obviously, but if we're talking about ultimate ceiling then I think that has to be it.

He really has no weaknesses in his game that you could point to as to why he couldn't be a 1C... he has tons of skill, he's great skater, and he's a smart player too.
His skill set and talent level are very close to giroux. It’s a long shot to get there but agree he’s got the ceiling to be a game breaker at center.

Honestly it comes down in part to opportunity. We have Patrick hayes and couturier locked in for three years more. He may not get the chance.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Top end 2Cs are guys who could be 1C on a number of teams (Malkin, Kuznetsov, Point/Stamkos, Draisaitl, Tavares, etc.)., so I think that’s pushing it.

I’m hoping for something along the Krejci or Couture level, which is the next cut below. Not saying he’ll get there, but that’s at least my wish.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Scary thought...wanted Simmer for longer. Wanted Hakstol longer.
He liked signing vets for depth positions. Didn’t want kids there. Thinking vdv, PEB (loved him) Weiss, Folin. Didn’t he also sign Boyd Gordon to take the pressure off pk and face off duties from G?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
His skill set and talent level are very close to giroux. It’s a long shot to get there but agree he’s got the ceiling to be a game breaker at center.

Honestly it comes down in part to opportunity. We have Patrick hayes and couturier locked in for three years more. He may not get the chance.
Yeah, that's the comparison I was thinking of too. Maybe Frost is a bit less dynamic of a scorer, but he also has a level of skating that Giroux never had.

Even if he never gets to Girouxs level, there's still a decently large gap between being Giroux and the lowest bar for being considered 1C.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

We had Briere, Richards, and Carter in the lineup when Giroux made his debut.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad