Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXX - 2019 Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Must suck to own the trade deadline and then make the Eastern Conference Finals with a very young core group. For shame. o_O
What sucks is watching teams like them and cats being forced to give up talent for $$ reasons yet have them outperform us.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Must suck to own the trade deadline and then make the Eastern Conference Finals with a very young core group. For shame. o_O

I wouldnt be surprised if they miss the playoffs in 19-20. Either way, I dont expect them to go very far if they do make it. They were riding the "Bunch of Jerks" momentum and the 1st year of Brindy influence.

The Mrazek-Reimer goaltending tandem has potential to be a disaster too.

Will Justin Williams be back? Unknown at the moment.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Top end 2Cs are guys who could be 1C on a number of teams (Malkin, Kuznetsov, Point/Stamkos, Draisaitl, Tavares, etc.)., so I think that’s pushing it.

I’m hoping for something along the Krejci or Couture level, which is the next cut below. Not saying he’ll get there, but that’s at least my wish.

You consider guaranteed Hall of Famer Evgeni Malkin a 2C?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
That’s silly. A team can have 2 top line centers (Gretzky, Messier or Lemieux, Francis) just like they can have 2 number one Dmen (Pronger/Niedermayer).
You clearly didn’t even read the post I made that’s being referred to.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
What sucks is watching teams like them and cats being forced to give up talent for $$ reasons yet have them outperform us.
The main reason they were the better team last year was goaltending. They're one of the most overrated teams in the entire league.
Before last season we were the better team every single year.

Reactions: Rebels57

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Some people are in denial.

Must suck to own the trade deadline and then make the Eastern Conference Finals with a very young core group. For shame.

And still managed to make 12 picks at the draft and pretty much killed that too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

You must be talking about the Nino-Rask trade. It was great for them no doubt, but Russo's story on The Athletic sounded like Fenton did not due even basic research on Rask before making that move.

The downfall of Paul Fenton: Inside the GM's turbulent 14...

Here’s the problem though: According to Hurricanes sources, the Canes planned to buy out Rask this summer and watched Niederreiter 10 times in the weeks leading up to the trade. There was consensus on their pro side that if Niederreiter got elevated minutes in a top-six role, he’d succeed in Raleigh. However, according to sources, not a single Wild scout was sent to watch Rask in person, and there were already limited viewings because he snipped his finger during a kitchen accident last offseason and missed time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The main reason they were the better team last year was goaltending. They're one of the most overrated teams in the entire league.
Before last season we were the better team every single year.

I just wish we had Reimer and Mrazek as our goalies making more than twice as much as Hart and Elliott combined.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I just compared the Flyers & Hurricanes projected NHL depth charts for the new season.

Very close, IMO. Which reinforces why the Hayes, Niskanen, & Braun additions were essential if they want to compete in a very tough conference.

I’d say the Flyers have a slight edge in forward depth, & Carolina a slight edge on the blue line. Goaltending who knows, but it’ll be damn crucial in a the East. Both teams have young players with the ability to make big impacts. I sure wish Patrick were closer to Svechnikov.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Any of the teams can have a better, or worse year than us. The NYI were just 2nd in our division. No reason why that can't be us next year....or it could be another team of course. Our division will have no easy games. We need to bring full effort every game to win.

I am "hopefully" looking forward to us actually playing well in the 1st period again. It seems like years since that has happened. Having someone behind the bench that has the ability to outcoach the opposing coach will be nice too.

I am expecting a much different looking team this year. Different as in a bit of swagger. Emotion. Fire.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Any of the teams can have a better, or worse year than us. The NYI were just 2nd in our division. No reason why that can't be us next year....or it could be another team of course. Our division will have no easy games. We need to bring full effort every game to win.

I am "hopefully" looking forward to us actually playing well in the 1st period again. It seems like years since that has happened. Having someone behind the bench that has the ability to outcoach the opposing coach will be nice too.

I am expecting a much different looking team this year. Different as in a bit of swagger. Emotion. Fire.

Here are my early East predictions

Metro
  1. Washington
  2. Philadelphia
  3. Carolina

Atlantic
  1. Tampa Bay
  2. Toronto
  3. Boston

Wild Card
  1. Florida
  2. New Jersey

Pens, Isles, Jackets all out of the Playoffs.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Marner wants 10 mill x 3 years on a bridge deal haha. This is not going to be good for the leafs or the rest of the year. It’s not like they can have him hold out. It’s like they are all in this year with their D falling off a cliff after this season.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I just compared the Flyers & Hurricanes projected NHL depth charts for the new season.

Very close, IMO. Which reinforces why the Hayes, Niskanen, & Braun additions were essential if they want to compete in a very tough conference.

I’d say the Flyers have a slight edge in forward depth, & Carolina a slight edge on the blue line. Goaltending who knows, but it’ll be damn crucial in a the East. Both teams have young players with the ability to make big impacts. I sure wish Patrick were closer to Svechnikov.
That seems like a pretty low bar. Svechnikov had a mediocre rookie season, barely better than Patrick in his first two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad