Miscellaneous NHL Talk XXI (NHL rule changes, post #36)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, if MDZ has a really good season he might price himself out of a spot here. Especially if Ghost looks good on the Phantoms.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If Del Zotto bounces back we could trade him after the season to regain some picks. Then Ghost takes his spot on the roster.

If MDZ bounces back I think you keep him. Timonen is almost 100% gone after this year (if not during this year). Grossmann should be traded if MDZ bounces back. Roll next year with:

Coburn-MDZ
Streit-Schenn
AMac-Ghost/Morin/Hagg

Revisit another potential trade the following the year. Streit will be in the last year of his deal by that time and the rookies should be ready to roll. Maybe one of the rookies makes Schenn or Coburn expendable next season.

In two years our defense could look very different depending on how things shake out.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Russian lumberjack...

377a1a40-39cf-11e4-9766-ff84c6b0a270_519de090-39c1-11e4-b88c-812ba32300ba_2014-09-09-16_08_44.gif

Source:http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-full-tuukka-after-loss--video-143959602.html

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Watching Giroux and Simmonds at the media day thing:

Favourite players:

Simmonds: Fedorov (he adds the caveat that he hates the Leafs, everyone he knew growing up loved them but he hates them!)

Giroux: Yzerman... obviously not too much bitterness about the Olympic snub!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
NHL's new rules ban spin-o-rama, expand video review, fine divers

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on...n-spin-o-rama-expand-video-review-fine-divers

New overtime procedures

Another significant change is that the league will have the teams switch ends in overtime. The entire ice surface will also get a dry scrape (when the Zamboni doesn't use water). That won't slow things down too much since there's no water to let set on the ice.

The switching of ends is designed to give each team the "long change" you see in the second period. That makes it more difficult to change lines and the league hopes that will increase the number of games that end in overtime as opposed to the shootout.

It's a simple change, but it could be an extremely effective one.

Additionally, coaches no longer will have to submit a list of the first three shooters he wants to use in a shootout as had been the case before. He can choose as the situation dictates, which is a nice update.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Glad the spin in the shootout was banned, that was garbage.

Watching Giroux and Simmonds at the media day thing:

Favourite players:

Simmonds: Fedorov (he adds the caveat that he hates the Leafs, everyone he knew growing up loved them but he hates them!)

Giroux: Yzerman... obviously not too much bitterness about the Olympic snub!

Where did you find that?

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
According to Bobby Ryan's latest statement, some Sens fans are actually realizing their is now a good chance he doesn't sign with them!

Well duh.....saw that coming when Ryan was traded there....Ryan now doesn't want to talk about his contract until the season starts...he keeps pushing things back....

I hope we get him for nothing next off season...that will correct that putrid JVR trade!

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I just don't really want Bobby Ryan. If we want him to come here it will still cost at least 6.5 per year, and I would much rather that be used to extend Couturier and Voracek long term. Both players will be must more instrumental in bringing a championship back to Philly than Ryan would. Unless Ryan would be willing to accept under 5.5 I don't think I would make a deal.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I'd obviously love to have Ryan, but it's the term on his contract that I'd be weary of. I don't want to commit 5-8 years to him. Our core pieces right now fit with his age, but in three or four years, I highly doubt this will be the case. And I don't think he'll be a highly effective player at 33-35 years old, either. We're going to have a lot of players up for raises in the near future, and I think it's more important to lock down the internal guys than it is to pursue another UFA fix.

I'd love if we could get him like Minnesota got Vanek. A four year deal would be perfect. I wouldn't be angry to sign him for longer, but I'd be a concerned that he'd be wasting cap space on the back half of the contract.

I don't at all think it's impossible for him to sign long-term in Ottawa, but it's going to be extremely interesting to follow that storyline. That team (and their fan base) can't take another kick in the crotch without becoming a major punchline across the league.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd be surprised if Ryan signed in Ottawa, no matter where he eventually ends up I don't think he'll be there.

As for him coming here, you never know who'll be here next year and what the cap situation will look like. Even people you don't think will be traded could end up leaving, I don't think anyone expected the Hartnell trade. Hopefully Grossmann get's dumped at some point because that'd both free up cap space and improve the defense. There's no way Timonen will be here next year either. I think a lot will depend on how our D prospects look this year.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I like those subtle rule changes by the league. They're very small things, but they should lessen the total impact of the shootout, which is perfectly fine by me.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I'd be surprised if Ryan signed in Ottawa, no matter where he eventually ends up I don't think he'll be there.

As for him coming here, you never know who'll be here next year and what the cap situation will look like. Even people you don't think will be traded could end up leaving, I don't think anyone expected the Hartnell trade. Hopefully Grossmann get's dumped at some point because that'd both free up cap space and improve the defense. There's no way Timonen will be here next year either. I think a lot will depend on how our D prospects look this year.

Yup. If the defensive prospects really progress this year and force a couple of guys off the roster, it would really have a positive impact on our cap space.

The biggest drawback to signing Ryan would be possibly losing a guy like B. Schenn. Depending on how you feel about him, that might not be that big of a deal. I just don't see how they can sign Ryan this offseason and then Couturier, Voracek, Coburn, Schenn and Raffl the following offseason. Just letting Grossmann and Schenn walk won't cut it. They'd need to move Vinny and Umberger as well probably.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Umberger could be bought out in his final year at a fairly low hit, and replaced by an ELC player like Leier or Cousins.

R.J. Umberger buyout from CapGeek.com

2016-17: $1,600,000
2017-18: $1,500,000

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I think we'll just have to see what the team looks like at the end of this year, speculating now is too difficult when there's 1,000,001 things that could happen between now and then. First things first, we need to see if Ryan actually stays a F/A that long, which, by the way, is turning into one of my favorite topics on here because of it's comedic value. The Sens fans are starting to get nervous and that one guy who was saying stupid things on the trade board has instructed the rest of the Sens fans to reply to any Flyers fans with a variation of "well Giroux is obviously coming to Ottawa", as if that's even close to a similar situation. Ignoring the fact that he's not even from Ottawa and the small detail that he recently signed a long term extension here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad